Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: One Second After
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:50 pm 

Berendtsen wrote:
JCD wrote:
I
That seemed a little unrealistic. The way Asheville handled the matter (confiscating all food with people with political connections getting more) seemed right on the money. It seemed entirely unlikely that within 3 months of the grid going down that a cannibal army would scour the land eating everybody in their way. Look at Somalia. They've had chronic food shortages. Where are the cannibal armies? Certainly there's civil unrest, pirates, and warlords, but no posse of rump-eaters.

Anyway, overall, it was a good book.

Well, I don't know. In Somalia, international organizations and other countries have been shipping them food for decades. The warlords sieze the food to keep their own armies fed. But if those shipments stopped? Who knows what would happen.. :?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:07 am 

After reading that book I want to plant Moringa Oleifera trees in every vacant lot in my city.

Check out this tree and tell me it isn't a survivalist's wet dream come true: http://www.naturalnews.com/022272.html

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm 

Read this on a road trip this week. I thought it was a pretty good read. The grammatical mistakes killed me though. "Would've" =/= "Would of". This was thoughout the book and reall detracted from the story. I know for some that's a minor quibble, but come on guys, let's do the small things right. The book does a good job of showing how quickly things can co bad and how long it might take to get back to any sense of normalcy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:15 pm 

D-Train wrote:
The grammatical mistakes killed me though. "Would've" =/= "Would of". This was thoughout the book and reall detracted from the story. I know for some that's a minor quibble, but come on guys, let's do the small things right.

Have you read any of the posts here??

waste = waist
there = their
your = you're

How many books have you written?? And getting money for??
Did you run spell checker before posting?? ieSpell says you didn't.

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:
My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 pm 

bltjr1951 wrote:
D-Train wrote:
The grammatical mistakes killed me though. "Would've" =/= "Would of". This was thoughout the book and reall detracted from the story. I know for some that's a minor quibble, but come on guys, let's do the small things right.

Have you read any of the posts here??

waste = waist
there = their
your = you're

How many books have you written?? And getting money for??
Did you run spell checker before posting?? ieSpell says you didn't.

I've not written any books, but I've had a few articles published. I certainly ran spell check on those and had them edited. Granted, I'm not a professional writer but my forum posts (or anyone elses) shouldn't be held to the same standard as a published book. I think it's fair to expect more from a book than a forum post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 pm 

Aikibiker wrote:
After reading that book I want to plant Moringa Oleifera trees in every vacant lot in my city.

Check out this tree and tell me it isn't a survivalist's wet dream come true: http://www.naturalnews.com/022272.html

What!?! Is that tree real, or is that article some sick practical joke?

Cause if that's real, I need it. Seriously. Several of them, in pots, disguised as ornamental bonsai.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:46 pm 

It is a real tree, and I did some intranet searchies and each one ended with us customs stating that except for the extremely rare occasion, trees are never imported, even in seed form.
A lot of specialty importers import by products, but nothing that you can grow.

Simply importing a cutting for possible growth or a few pods would probably stick you in the fed pen for a few years.

plants and shrubs need special importation permits, and probably a whole lotta cash to grease the wheels...

If you send in a question, you'll probably get a reply about how hard it was to prevent some japanese beetle for killing half of the redwood forest or something along those lines...
And short of a bunch of illegal immigrants sneaking across with saplings strapped to their rears, I don't see it coming here...

And finally, it's capable of feeding and maintaining a population with little effort (and little profit, too...) it's probably not gonna happen until someone can make a buck off it to offset the immense cost.

Place it in the catagory of things developed/discovered in other countries (ie; cancer drugs, new therapies for disease, etc.) it has to be evaluated by the FDA for about ten years before it's allowed to even be sold under tightly held regulatory patterns.... Giving US companies and agencies time to copy it, crank out a piss poor substitute and make us all a little bit more jaded....
Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic....

Back to the subject,
I do hope that One Second After is the first in a series of well done prepper friendly books that both entertain and help open the eyes of most of the population to real potential dangers out there....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:28 pm 

I have all the paperwork set to apply for an import permit,
but have not done it yet...

but the Moringa Oleifera tree is already in the USA, and it is possible to get,
they do grow fast and you can eat them,
just remember that they are a low calorie food.
you are still going to need your base energy from something.

if you really want to grow your own food, you are likely better off with potatoes, grains, and spinach. corn and sorghum also grow very fast and are easy to grow by hand

farming without our modern electricity is mainly hard because you have to water things,
for me that means growing things in my winter when it is wet and frosting every night.

look at your situation close and see what you can do,
with rainfall, tilling, and all the other factors, nut and fruit trees are often the best option for most places.
remember that any miracle that is not popular likely is to good to be true

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:40 pm 

I was more interested in the complete multivitamin aspect of their fruit, and the easy oil, then subsisting on them completely. But they still sound awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 pm 

There are a bunch of empty lots in my home town and th eclimate is right for moringa to grow without any help. I have dreams of planting them in th earious empty lots and just leaving them to grow in case I need them (or to divert the grasshopper types that want me to share my preps) kind of like a postapocalyptic Johnny Appleseed.

Back on topic yeah I would like to see more from the author of One Second After, even if it was depressing as hell.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 pm 

I did a search looking for them in the US, couldn't find any...

Anyone know where any are?

I have an area in my yard, I'd like one, please.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:09 pm 

seeds are here
http://cgi.ebay.com/MORINGA-OLEIFERA-10-SEEDS-/250718311012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ff9d264
don't look at standard channels, they will not be there

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Screw your commie tree, my American Chestnut is making a comeback!

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:24 pm 

Rev wrote:
Screw your commie tree, my American Chestnut is making a comeback!
:lol: I like all food trees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm 

hmmf...

I get screwed by ebay almost as much as by craigs list, doing fine without em....

I was kinda hoping for a distributer of sorts..... :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm 

This website sells seedlings and seeds. I have exchanged emails with them and they can answer any questions you have.

http://www.ilovemoringa.com/

Joel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 pm 

I read One Second After last week and it just about gave me nightmares simply because I work as an ICU nurse. The scene in the nursing home and all the medical problems the community faced was pretty depressing to me at the time. Especially since I had about 8 patients on ventilators at the time. It wasn't anything that hadn't already occured to me, it just sort of hit home while I was reading it. Basically, if there was a total power shutdown on my unit, we'd be stuck in the dark trying to ambubag patients as long as we could, assuming we could find the ambubags, and get them on the patients while trying to figure out what the hell just happened. Outside of the hospital, I could deal with things ok, inside the hospital it would be futile and pretty hopeless. With the power out we cant even get to most of the meds we use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:13 am 

Quote:
This website sells seedlings and seeds. I have exchanged emails with them and they can answer any questions you have.

http://www.ilovemoringa.com/

Aikibiker; my heartfelt gratitude..... :D

Site's already in the faves.... Gonna do some research and see about planting one of them in the corner of my back yard, got a partial day shady spot, and a full on sunlit spot, both aching for some foliage.....

Again, thanks. Damn this forum is amazing....

Sorry bout the derail....

Great book, bit innacurate about the EMP, but as a cautionary tale it's pretty damn good....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:38 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Big thing to learn from the book? Turn off the power for the nation and we are screwed. I personally hate people who go on about how it would be JUST like the normal power outages they've had. I've had a power outage in winter that went on for a month. If it was across the entirety of my county instead of isolated areas we would have been screwed.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:55 am 

SeerSavant wrote:
Sorry bout the derail....

food production is about the biggest point of dealing with this event,
i don't normally derail either

and Rev, you are right,
a nationwide EMP would so totally destroy us

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 am 

spacecase0 wrote:
a nationwide EMP would so totally destroy us

What do you mean us? You got a mouse in your pocket?

If something like that happens I may get knocked down, but I swear to Almighty God I will not be knocked out. It may be hard, but I intend to claw my way back to the top of whatever heap of refuse I land in. I'll use hardwork, the experience I have earned from a lifetime of living in poverty and then working my way up through my skills alone, and finally pure cussedness. I will not quit until I am dead, and not even then, if I can help it.

Yeah civilization will lose the internet. I will miss it, but I remember these things called books that I used to get information from before the net. We will lose the convenience of flipping a switch and getting light or heat, but I remember using candles and oil lanterns for light. I remember fireplaces and woodstoves for heat. I remember cooking on those things and campfires and BBQ grills before I ever used a microwave.

One thing I took from that study of EMP everyone links to is that cars and trucks will fair pretty well. As long as we have that vital ground transport to move food and supplies the cities will remain viable. While the cities are viable we can recover financially. We can survive without household electricity for a while. Gas may be pretty scarce for a while, but we rationed it (and everything else from food to scrap metal) during WW2, we can do that again.

It won't be easy and a lot of people will die, but I don't believe civilization will fall and anarchy will rise. At least it won't anywhere myself and other good people are.

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:23 pm 

Aikibiker wrote:
What do you mean us?

good point, I will likely be just fine as well, but lots of people sure will not be
Aikibiker wrote:
One thing I took from that study of EMP everyone links to is that cars and trucks will fair pretty well.

they cars should be fine,
the oil and gas infrastructure will not be ok, it will be whatever we have left in storage till the refineries are changed from computer control to by hand control,
and unloading docks are converted from electric pumps from the ships.
I am expecting some big disruptions that are likely enough to end food supplies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 pm 

How much gasoline do you think we refine in this country/this hemisphere (in the case of a coronal mass ejection type event) vs. the rest of the world. Even if all refineries in the US are taken out the rest of the world will be able to put out enough to allow for vital supplies to be transported.

The oil ports may be messed up, but supertankers generate their own electricity/have their own pumps and one can easily be turned into a giant gas station to begin distribution to civilian tanker trucks and military fuelers which even have their own gas pump attached to the rig. Distribution will be a pain in the ass and primitive, but if working with third worlders has taught me anything it is that you can overcome a a deficit in technology/equipment by throwing manpower at it. And if the lights go off there will be a lot of people out work to provide that manpower. Most likely you and I would not be driving anywhere. However the big rigs hauling fuel, the farm machinery, the ambulances, firetrucks, and cop cars would get their gas. Hey I like to walk and if it becomes a chore I have a bicycle.

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:46 pm 

if it is from a CME,
it would likely hit most if not all of the world.
but a CME would likely not hurt the computers and sensors so much,
it would just take down the grid, so then portable generators would likely get many things up and running faster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next