Mosin Nagant thread???

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mortblanc
Favorite Zombie Movies: All 3 of the Omega Man
Book of Eli
does Quest for Fire count?

Mosin Nagant thread???

Post by mortblanc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Where is the M/N thread?

I though that a M/N thread was required on every prepper board!

Did I miss the official thread or is cheap rifle talk not allowed here?
The nice thing about being over the hill is you get to coast the rest of the way.

docdredd

Re: Mosin Nagant thread???

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:28 pm

haha, looks like you just started it, Post your pics.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

ccracing176

Post by ccracing176 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 pm

I just refinished rubbing one out with boiled linseed oil ;)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm

mortblanc wrote:Where is the M/N thread?

I though that a M/N thread was required on every prepper board!

Did I miss the official thread or is cheap rifle talk not allowed here?
1st prep: ditch that shit gun and get a decent rifle.
ccracing176 wrote:I just refinished rubbing one out with boiled linseed oil ;)
TMI
Last edited by JTNieman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Ok I know your new here but you cant make post like this here.... your going to get sent to QOTD :clap:
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Ok lets not run the fellow off he started this thread.

I have a M39 that I keep as my truck gun and it has proven a chaep and reliable gun to shoot. I wouldnt want to go to war with it but its far better than a pointy stick. ill try to post some pics later
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 pm

You like M39s?

Here's mine:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 pm

You my good friend have MUCH larger testicles than I. My 39 kicks hard enough as it is. I cannot imagine trying to hold onto it in pistol format.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 pm

docdredd wrote:You my good friend have MUCH larger testicles than I. My 39 kicks hard enough as it is. I cannot imagine trying to hold onto it in pistol format.
Kinda like this:

ccracing176

Re: Re: Mosin Nagant thread???

Post by ccracing176 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:09 pm

docdredd wrote:
Ok I know your new here but you cant make post like this here.... your going to get sent to QOTD :clap:

Damn tapatalk, I didn't know I was on zombie squad, thought it was connecticutguntalk. I have seen much much worse on this forum than what I posted...

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 pm

ccracing176 wrote:
docdredd wrote:

Damn tapatalk, I didn't know I was on zombie squad, thought it was connecticutguntalk. I have seen much much worse on this forum than what I posted...
Oh your not in trouble, I just quoted you in the "Quote of the day" thread. ..... http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... start=2256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:25 pm

docdredd wrote:
ccracing176 wrote:
docdredd wrote:

Oh your not in trouble, I just quoted you in the "Quote of the day" thread. ..... http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... start=2256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, getting something you posted put into that thread is kind of like a really weird badge of honor on ZS. :lol:

Getting back to the OP, I own a 1932 built M91/30 that I really need to take to the range one of these days. I haven't shot it in over two years. :oops:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:38 pm

here is the ugly duckling

SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:49 pm

That wasn't an M39, unless it was a weird one.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Looks like it's missing the rear sight leaf, too.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Both of you are correct. I just looked at it again its a 38 according to the engravings.The sight is off because i am removing all the irons off of it. I am dropping it into one of those stocks I posted the other day. This model has also been back bored at the muzzle so its getting the barrel shortened and recrowned.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:21 pm

I want one to turn scout gun. I will probably buy one if/when they go cheap over the holidays.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Orion Drive
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (1978), 28 Weeks Later, Day of the Dead.

Post by Orion Drive » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 pm

This is my M91/30, built in 1937.

While it was my first rifle primarily because I was poor when I bought it, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a great starting rifle for a couple reasons;

1. If you find you don't like it, no big deal.

2. It's stupidly simple to operate and maintain.

3. Malfunctions can easily be cleared by using your man muscles.

4. If you can handle the recoil on a Mosin Nagant with a steel plate for a butt pad, you can handle just about any other common caliber.

5. For less than a hundred dollars you can win AK vs. AR debates; http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly Cyberdude78 on the FVZA forums.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Mosin Nagant: the worst starting rifle for many reasons:

1) The brutish piece of shit will alienate most new shooters

2) The recoil will instantly incite a terrible flinch in any shooter

3) The weight and heft is a pain in the ass for anyone to haul around

4) The accuracy and disappointment of never hitting what you're aiming at will leave an unsatisfactory range trip

5) Inability to work the action without a beating stick, or a concrete bench to beat it upon, will leave new shooters perplexed as to how safe guns really are.

Seriously, the only positive aspect is that it's $100. So are used Hi Point pistols, but no one thinks they're awesome pieces of firearms design. Go back to whacking off to Enemy at the Gates. :lol:
Last edited by JTNieman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 pm

JTNieman wrote: Go back to whacking off to Enemy at the Gates.
It's Defiance that gets me hot for the Mosin Nagant.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Orion Drive
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (1978), 28 Weeks Later, Day of the Dead.

Post by Orion Drive » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 pm

In defense of the Mosin-Nagant as an overall rifle, it was designed in 1891 and most of them saw service on the Eastern Front. If it were designed today nobody would look twice at it, but for a gun designed toward the end of the 19th Century it's by no means a bad design. Also bear in mind that they haven't been manufactured in many years, and most of them saw some kind of use on the Eastern Front. Historical weapons have to be given a certain amount of slack.

As for its use as a starting rifle, all of the above points are completely valid (although the accuracy of the Mosin varies from rifle to rifle), but every shooter is different. Some people will certainly be intimidated by the Mosin Nagant's weight and recoil, but I feel that the people that do stick around gain valuable experience early on. That and with the cost of ammo it means a shooter can afford to put a lot of rounds down range, giving valuble practice. Given that you can buy an ammo crate with two cans of 440 rounds for as low as $130 the only limit is how much your shoulder can take. The only thing that beats that is .22, which I can't say anything bad about as a training round, but the Mosin can be used for practical applications as well.
Formerly Cyberdude78 on the FVZA forums.

homerj109
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by homerj109 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:11 am

I am also a fan of the Mosin, this was my first rifle and a good one at that. Sure it leaves much to be desired in many aspects but it is still an all around decent starter rifle. All the Mosins I have fired are no tack drivers but are accurate enough for a fun time at the range, recoil takes getting used too but at least it isn't a .12 ga, the 7.62x54R is cheap enough, and at least for me it was always something to be shooting such a historical rifle. For a poor high school kid looking for something other than a .22 the Mosin was great, it also had the fringe benefit of teaching me how to properly disassemble, clean, and maintain a rifle because these things are so damn filthy. This need for a meticulous cleaning has stuck with me and I have made it a point to clean all of my firearms as if they are a Mosin straight out of the crate.

I think allot of us have developed a unique attachment because of all the TLC many of us have to put into these rifles. Mine is sitting on my wall right now next to my other WWII rifles and it still brings a smile to my face every time I look at it.

PLAN9

Post by PLAN9 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:24 am

JTNieman wrote:Mosin Nagant: the worst starting rifle for many reasons:

1) The brutish piece of shit will alienate most new shooters

2) The recoil will instantly incite a terrible flinch in any shooter

3) The weight and heft is a pain in the ass for anyone to haul around

4) The accuracy and disappointment of never hitting what you're aiming at will leave an unsatisfactory range trip

5) Inability to work the action without a beating stick, or a concrete bench to beat it upon, will leave new shooters perplexed as to how safe guns really are.

Seriously, the only positive aspect is that it's $100. So are used Hi Point pistols, but no one thinks they're awesome pieces of firearms design. Go back to whacking off to Enemy at the Gates. :lol:
Haven't been eating our Wheaties, have we.
"Look what you did to my Sonny Bono wig do"
http://www.nozombies.com/forum/

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”