It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:25 pm 

needs to be mil dot though, no bdc or something like that. Its going to be for a remington 700 sps tactical. The higher the power the better unless clarity is better.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

What are you using it for (just wondering, I am not up on such things)?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:39 pm 

shooting will be my main use. But long range shooting and hunting. Its for my new bug out rifle remington 700 sps tactical it has a mcree folding stock and larue 20 moa mount and leupold rings and badger ordance magazines, but not for sure what to put on for scope.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

specops wrote:
shooting will be my main use. But long range shooting and hunting. Its for my new bug out rifle remington 700 sps tactical it has a mcree folding stock and larue 20 moa mount and leupold rings and badger ordance magazines, but not for sure what to put on for scope.

Not trying to poo poo anyones plans, but 1000 yards is long damn shot... Probably takes a LOT of training, practice, expensive cartridges, records on how your gun shoots, graphs/charts... Obviously it can be done, Im just saying most hunters shoot inside of a couple hundred yeards for a reason. But then again, if the scope is adjustable, and high quality, it should be great at 100 yards too :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 pm 

I honestly dont think you are going to find a 1000yd good scope for under 500. Not to mention you are stretching the 308 a little far.

Edit
Stretching in novice hands. (wanted to clarify)

Last edited by Nickthezombiehunter on Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:06 pm 

Best is way too subjective. On a long range bench gun I run a fixed 32X weaver with a 1/16 moa dot and ultra fine wires. On an M1A I run a SWFA 10X42
Different rifles for different tasks - I am comfortable out to 800 yards with either of them, I know what each will do with a couple different loads at that range because thats the longest range I get to shoot. I can extrapolate and have a reasonable expectation of what they will do at 1000 or 1500 yards but I haven't had a chance to test those assumptions.
I would recommend a SWFA, its a good CLEAR scope for the money.
Its not about magnification - its about clarity and parallax. I would even weight reliable parallax correction over clarity, provided you could consistently ID targets.
The M1a is shot at capm perry out to 1500 meters quite frequently - it will do the job, but I would strongly advise that anyone who wants to hunt at those distances try some paper first. It is not as easy as it looks.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

You can find a lot of information about optics in this thread.

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

@ AKFTW nailed it

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:08 pm 

Yep. About what I feel reading all 4 threads of his. Great video, keep it handy, I'm sure we will need it soon for another noob.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

/thread.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Edited after reading up some, carry on.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:39 am 

About the only company I would go with for sub $800 glass would be a company by the name of Vortex.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 am 

There are a few manufacturers out there. A fixed power scope will be less expensive something like a super sniper 10x would fit the bill and the knobs will match the reticle. Also you could select a variable power Vortex viper PST. but it will have to be the 2nd focall plane models to stay within your budget. Both are good scopes with knobs that match the reticle units...personally i prefer mil/mil over MOA.

As to your 1k yard goal..It is difficult for a beginner.

The best recommendation I can make is to practice out to 500yds in all conditions and log your data. do this in a maximumof 100yd increments. Then push out to 600 and slowly progress to 800yds.
once beyond 600 you will notice a significant change in the affects of wind and the fundamentals of marksmanship..beyond 800 and that learning cuve changes again quite noticeably

One finalnote sti k with 175-178 bullets if you plan on going out to 1k or beyond and don't justjump out to 1k expecting a hi hit ratio...you will be sorely dissapointed .

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 am 

maldon007 wrote:
Edited after reading up some, carry on.

Hahaha. I read your pre edit version this morning.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

May I be so bold as to suggest shooting at least 4" group at 100m with iron sights before you start buying gear to compensate for poor shooting.

I got my check.

I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 pm 

I made this to talk about the scope not my ability to shoot. I know what I'm doing I'm not some moron that just played cod. 1k is mostly my limit for shooting I'm normally around 6-800 yards. I want mil dots because it helps big time when doping. I just want to know if there's a scope under $500 if not ill just buy another leupold I just wanted to buy a new ak.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:47 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

NCStar. Mildot. Has that super cool sun shade on it. Plenty of zoom, because thats what makes a scope good, rite?

Or hell, if you really want a dope scope, check out the Horus Reticule on the Premier Reticle optic. On the fly shot adjustment without having to fuck with your turrets. World class glass, but a hair above your price range.

Insert blue above.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I agree what has been posted earlier about the Super Sniper 10x42. I shoot out to 1000yrds on a fairly regular basis (last time just 2 weeks ago) with a .308. My last time was at the Guerilla Sniper class in Kingman AZ from Suarez International. I brought my DPMS AP4 with 16" barrel topped with a Mark4 M3 and my BDC was set at 10 (for 1000) + 5. I got decent hits until the gusts of wind kept changing. I never thought about shooting a 16" barrel at that distance but the class stated it was to 600 yards. I was upset because I would have brought one of my regular sniper rifles. 10 power is more than enough for 1000 yards. Especially for man size targets. I own the Super Sniper 10x42 on another rifle and love the clarity and especially the parallax adjustment that is labeled for various distances. I had one time where I was chasing my rounds at 1000 with my FN SPR in a class and my instructor adjusted my parallax down a bit and i took off a number of moa from my height. I will never forget that so I like the labeled knob that isn't on my Leupold scopes. Plus with the mildots you can do a 600 yard shot with the current reticle without touching the target knob if zeroed at 100. It is my favorite rifle scope for the money and read a lot of good reviews on it. I also convinced my brother to get one for his DPMS and I will probably get another for a 10/22 that is all decked out with bull barrel and such. Once you figure out your data or the velocity you can get a BDC knob made for it from Kenton Industries I believe. This way you don't have to keep a data book with you when just messing around. I believe you can get $30 off right now from SWFA if you like them on facebook. Saw the coupon on another shooting site, just don't know if I can mention the site name on here. It's a great deal and a great scope for the money.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 pm 

specops wrote:
I made this to talk about the scope not my ability to shoot. I know what I'm doing I'm not some moron that just played cod. 1k is mostly my limit for shooting I'm normally around 6-800 yards. I want mil dots because it helps big time when doping. I just want to know if there's a scope under $500 if not ill just buy another leupold I just wanted to buy a new ak.

For your price range you cant go wrong with this I have an old Unertl 16x Target that is AMAZING. The recitals are made from black widow silk and are replaceable. I have several different sets of them from varying widths, to dots, triangles, and just a simple cross. They are also adjustable for cant. If you cant your rifle in position shooting you are able to set it so your crosshairs are perfectly horizontal and vertical to the target.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm 

specops wrote:
I made this to talk about the scope not my ability to shoot.

That is what I was thinking when he posted that.

For all we know you are a precision drilling machine at 100 yards with iron sights. :lol:

Personally, I stink with irony sights. Well I suppose clarification is needed, I can hit the target, but it won't be grouped very pretty.

Give me a mechanical advantage and I do pretty good. 8-)

But back on subject, the biggest mistake I see shooters at my local range make are getting a super high powered scope (between 24-40 magnification) and then using the highest magnification at short distances (100-300). Yea its cool and all you can read a paper back novel at 100 yards, but the more you zoom the more minor errors become compounded.

Anything 300 and under I try and stick to 12x at most, but a 3-9x would be ideal.

I did buy an Osprey 40x scope at one point for fun, it was more useful for checking my holes in the target without a spotting scope than for accuracy though. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:53 pm 

Super Sniper 10X

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:23 pm 

A good place to start is the Grand Slam 3x9 40mm. It's a Midway exclusive I think but its a great starter scope in your price range for what your wanting to do.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 pm 

Leupold Mark 4 16X40 with the mil-dot reticle and .....

Oh, I thought you said $1500.

My bad.

For $500..... learn to sneak 500 yards closer.