Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 pm 

I have a AR-15 (Bushmaster OR) I have had it for 4 years. I payed 850$ for it and a ACOG Ta33-8. I am looking to get a SOCOM. A good friend of my is willing to sell me his SOCOM for 1200 with 4 mags(less than 20 rounds through it). I am wondering if it would be worth it to sell the AR and get the SOCOM. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Boswell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 pm 

What is a SOCOM? Are you talking about a Block II clone or something else? M4 SOCOM barrel with FSB? What stock does it have on it? What components were used? Factory rifle or assembled rifle? Lots of questions to answer bud.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:47 pm 

M1A SOCOM 16" is what you meant?

Last edited by AUA on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 pm 

Actually, the most important questions is does it shoot well and will you like shooting it more than the current rifle you have right now? If the answer is yes to both, then sell the old gun and get the new gun.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:28 am 

Since I am a pack rat at heart and like to collect guns, I would say keep the ar-15 and get the socom :D . The socom shoots the .308, so ammo would be more expensive. So I would keep the ar since plinking with a .223 is cheaper than the .308. If I am in the shtf situation, I would use the socom for defensive purposes and the ar for scouting (I could carry more of the 223 than the 308). If your ar is still in good condition and nothing is wrong with it then why sell it? Though if you are strap for cash and time is a factor then that is a different story, sell the ar and get what you want. I also like the m1a socom and I am thinking about getting one in the future too, though I am willing to wait and save up some cash in order to keep both my ar and the socom. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:32 am 

I agree with the above statement! Unless you cant afford to get it and keep your AR. You should see if your buddy will let you run a few mags through it and see if you like it and all its aspects; ergos, accuracy, and how it feels in your shoulder then go with which one feels better.

And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I would not own the SOCOM unless it was forced upon me, and even then it would be a safe queen until I could get rid of it.

Keep the AR, and look to the future for a different .308 that tickles your fancy, that way you can have both. Other good options would include the Standard M1A, the National Match, or the M21. Just not the SOCOM.

I used to want one. I no longer do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm 

There is a saying that the M1A is a journey. It is a long and most of the time expensive journey.

What draws you to the M1A?

Have you looked at other 308 rifles out there, maybe in the AR platform?

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:57 pm 

No...

I wanted one for a while, but after reading about poor accuracy (2-6 MOA), and after shooting an accurate AR I'm pretty spoiled by the AR platform.
The SOCOM is also a heavy beast of a rifle... and supposedly suffers ballistically with a 16" barrel.

I would consider building a 308 AR or buying a 6.8 upper, but if you're selling your bushmaster to buy the M1A... No.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:07 pm 

MaconCJ7 wrote:
I would not own the SOCOM unless it was forced upon me, and even then it would be a safe queen until I could get rid of it.

Keep the AR, and look to the future for a different .308 that tickles your fancy, that way you can have both. Other good options would include the Standard M1A, the National Match, or the M21. Just not the SOCOM.

I used to want one. I no longer do.

I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Thanks, that was great.

I wouldn't even buy an M1A unless it was $800 and came with mags and ammo. Then I'd sell the M1A, then the mags, and keep the ammo for my CETME, and buy a really nice AR with the proceeds.

Yeah, it's in 7.62, yeah it shoots the 147 grain bullet. But what else does it really do? The 16 inch barrel is still a big rifle, you may as well have the full sized, and the fucker is heavy besides.

Keep the AR, spend the money on ammo and a class on using it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm 

I have a m1a socom and I have to say it's by far my favorite rifle. That being said I've put a lot of money and work into it to make what I want. I can't speak to selling your AR however if you could swing it I'd say keep the AR and get the socom too. If not, ask your buddy if you can try out the socom and see if you like it better than your AR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I have a couple of .308/7.62NATO rifles with 16" barrels. But my M1A has an 18.5" barrel with the short Smith break and it's just about perfect for that type (M14) of rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm 

I would say get the m1a.
M1a is one bad ass gun. Ar are nice but i would rather have a m1a if i could pick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 pm 

I had an M14 for a DMR on my last trip, the only time that fucking thing saw the light of day was when i had to pull it out for sensitive items checks. M4+ mk262+ good glass= problem solved, problem staying solved. YMMV And yes i realize mk 262 is old school stuff now. BTW the socom sounds lke an 88 magnum going off, don't know if that matters to you or not... just sayin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am 

I don't have room for both in my budget, Would love to get both but right now just can't spare the cash. I have never had an issue with the AR, Just looking to get something a little bigger. For some reason I do not like 308 AR platform rifles. Was looking for a semi-auto with few hundred yard ability as well as close range use. After reading up on accuracy of SOCOM, looks like its a crap shoot with which rifle that you get for you accuracy. I think I might see if he will let me run a few mags through it and test its accuracy.

Thanks
Boswell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am 

scurvynick wrote:
I have a m1a socom and I have to say it's by far my favorite rifle. That being said I've put a lot of money and work into it to make what I want. I can't speak to selling your AR however if you could swing it I'd say keep the AR and get the socom too. If not, ask your buddy if you can try out the socom and see if you like it better than your AR

THIS^ is the problem with the M1A, to make it any kind of rifle, you have to put a lot of cash into them to "make them into the rifle you want." Straight out of the box, with the addition of a good RD, the AR is already there.

Honestly, the M1A does nothing, practically speaking, that the AR will not do with the correct ammo. Can you shoot further? Yeah, but how far do you have to shoot your defensive rifle to begin with. Beyond 400 meters, you should be using a really good bolt gun anyway, if you have to shoot that far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 pm 

Boudreaux wrote:
I don't have room for both in my budget, Would love to get both but right now just can't spare the cash. I have never had an issue with the AR, Just looking to get something a little bigger. For some reason I do not like 308 AR platform rifles. Was looking for a semi-auto with few hundred yard ability as well as close range use. After reading up on accuracy of SOCOM, looks like its a crap shoot with which rifle that you get for you accuracy. I think I might see if he will let me run a few mags through it and test its accuracy.

Thanks
Boswell

Honestly, if you want a .308, get an FAL. I'm certain that there are quite a few ZSers who can acquaint you with its advantages over an M1A (among them, its cheaper pricing).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

AUA wrote:

Honestly, if you want a .308, get an FAL. I'm certain that there are quite a few ZSers who can acquaint you with its advantages over an M1A (among them, its cheaper pricing).

And a few of us that won't. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 pm 

RickOShea wrote:
AUA wrote:

And a few of us that won't. :wink:

I actually sold my FAL and kept the CETME.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I love my M1A, but I passed on the SOCOM for a Squad Scout. The 16 inch barrel just doesn't take full advantage of the. 308 in my mind. However... an AR will do what you need for any sort of survival situation, and more. There are a lot of advantages to the AR, and only a few on the M1A, less if you go with the SOCOM. However, if you want it, you want it, and you shouldn't let anyone on the net talk you out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 pm 

Skip the Socom and keep the AR. Get some of that new fangled fancy ammo for it, or if you're bored of it get a new upper in something fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

doc66 wrote:

Hell, it took me almost seven years to get my M1A into it's (hopefully) final configuration. So there's no way I'm getting rid of it now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm 

RickOShea wrote:
doc66 wrote:

Hell, it took me almost seven years to get my M1A into it's (hopefully) final configuration. So there's no way I'm getting rid of it now.

See, my CETME was a shooter right out of the box! The only thing I'd change is to put an HK turret sight on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

doc66 wrote:

See, my CETME was a shooter right out of the box! The only thing I'd change is to put an HK turret sight on it.

Oh mine's a shooter.....just too many aftermarket options I had to work my way thru before settling on a final set-up. :lol: