Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm 

I'm in the market for a handy do all rifle. I am a fan of Cooper's concept of the scout rifle so I'm looking in that direction. Right now I'm looking at the Marlin 336BL in 30-30 and the Ruger scout in .308. The rifle would likely be used for pig hunting and plinking/target shooting. Max range around here is 300m. Figure it should make a good SHTF rifle as well. I plan on reloading for which ever caliber. Both would end up sporting a Leupold scout scope. The Marlin is cheaper, but the price difference is reduced by the XS rail and sights needed. I don't know much about 30-30 in general other than it is a popular deer round. What does ZS think about these two guns and their relative merits as a "one rifle"?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

.308 is a bit more versatile than 30/30

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 pm 

Caenus wrote:
.308 is a bit more versatile than 30/30

agreed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 pm 

I'd go with the Ruger based on that it's a bolt action and that it's .308 Win.

Can't say that I'm a big fan of that mag on the Ruger Scout, the Ruger Frontier was a little better proportioned, handled better and had cleaner lines...
...too bad they discontinued it.

"Cynicism is my armor, sarcasm my sword and apathy my shield."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:03 pm 

Savage 10FCM is also an option, since the Ruger scout is discontinued.

.30-30 is entry-level hunting, while you can get .308 in different loads and bullet weights for different game.

You can use .30-30 for SHTF if you're okay with keeping your game and/or targets close (100-150 yd), which makes sense if you're applying KISS and using irons. But .308 will give you more options in terms of range and game taken.

.308/.30-06 wildcat-type cartridges are also something you might want to look into for all-purpose calibers:

.270 Win
.243 Win
7mm-08 Rem

Caliber aside, both should be boring reliable; it really comes down to personal preference here. Try shooting both and figure out what you'd like best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 pm 

AUA wrote:

.30-30 is entry-level hunting, while you can get .308 in different loads and bullet weights for different game.

You can use .30-30 for SHTF if you're okay with keeping your game and/or targets close (100-150 yd), which makes sense if you're applying KISS and using irons. But .308 will give you more options in terms of range and game taken.

.308/.30-06 wildcat-type cartridges are also something you might want to look into for all-purpose calibers:

.270 Win
.243 Win
7mm-08 Rem

Caliber aside, both should be boring reliable; it really comes down to personal preference here. Try shooting both and figure out what you'd like best.

If I can find both I'd love try them out. Problem is I cant find the Ruger anywhere. Also, I'd love a scout in .338 Federal but that would be a custom for sure and I don't have the time or money for that right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:55 pm 

The Ruger Gunsite Scout is still in the 2012 online catalog - not sure why AUA thinks it's discontinued ( He might be right and they just haven't updated the catalog too ).
The magazines are Accuracy International - but there are aftermarket mags that I think are better, Alpha Industries (U.S. company makes a double stack 10 round that is compatible, it's shorter, lighter and cheaper than the factory mag - current reports are that it works as well or better. (shorter is good if your shooting from bipod or prone.

.308 has a number of advantages - it's readily available - it will be cheaper.

I'm in the market for a 1895 SBL (stainless guide gun with rail and 6rnd tube) in 45-70 - just because I like lever guns (too many westerns as a child I think). I'll be moving the 2x scope off my Steyr to the Marlin, then putting a 1.5-5 Leupold on the the .308 - since it's a better range weapon than the 45-70 :)

I've never shot the Savage -but if I were in the market I'd sure consider it.

You could also consider a Springfield M1a Squad Scout or SOCCOM if you'd like to get a semi. (both in 7.62x51). I think the Ruger and Savage are a bit lighter - which is a good thing. Bolt guns are easier to reload for (well slightly easier), and generally a touch more accurate but at 300m it you shoot like me - it's not the gun that's the problem :)

The Steyr is excellent but you have to be just a little a few shy of a full deck, a few degrees off plumb, and absolute NUTTER to spend that kind of money on one :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am 

M1a unless it's out of your price range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am 

Niblick wrote:

I'd love me an M1a squad scout, but unless one turns up on the used market for a steal it is out of my price range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 am 

I understand... I'm in the same boat. Saiga maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 am 

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?p ... 443&page=1

all I know about these is that they look sexy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things

If your gonna hunt pigs get a .308....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Primarily pig-hunting? Really comes down to preference. With modern bullet tech, 30-30 is no longer a sub 150yd cartridge.
Also, the lever action excels in close to medium range engagements. With proper practice, you'll never break cheek weld between shots, making it an excellent brush gun.
(though, in fairness, the same is true with a bolt, I just find it easier to achieve with a lever)

That said, as an all-rounder, Ruger Scout, hands down.

-308 is more versatile and inherently more accurate.
-You would have the benefit of stocking/plinking with surplus ammo (the days of cheap 30-30 are over).
-Superior inherent reliability of bolt actions.

And this is coming from a guy with 3 lever guns he loves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm 

What about a Steyr Scout rifle? I have read some pretty good things about them, although never had a hands on.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:

Follow me on twitter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm 

Niblick wrote:

That's a thought, but I'd like to be able to hunt with it....

AUA wrote:

That's the first I've heard of this. What happened? It's still on their site:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... odels.html

MVegas893.1 wrote:
Primarily pig-hunting? Really comes down to preference. With modern bullet tech, 30-30 is no longer a sub 150yd cartridge.
Also, the lever action excels in close to medium range engagements.

Even with the new Lever-evolution ammo 30-30 is not going to get the same maximum point blank range as decent 308. It also has the advantage of both cheap surplus and (expensive) super accurate match ammo available from the factory. A lever action might be a little faster for close to medium range engagements, but to say it "excels" is probably a bit of an overstatement. That's the territory of the assault rifle, and will remain so for some time to come I expect.

Baker wrote:
What about a Steyr Scout rifle? I have read some pretty good things about them, although never had a hands on.

More expensive, weird bipod thingy, gimmickey back up sights. Well made rifle by most counts though. I don't see a point (IMO, for those counting) of a mag fed scout though (applies to the Ruger and Savage too. With modern optics design, both red dot and low powered variables, you can get a great scope right over the action. It's easier and faster to top load without the scope over the hole though.

I say go with the Ruger GSR and the XS full length rail. Then put something like a 1-4x or 1.5-5x scope on it. Illumination if you like such things and the reticle of your choice. Get a bunch of extra mags and some pouches for them. That's what I'd do if I didn't already have the Ruger Frontier. I've considered upgrading, but I'm not sure yet.

Biggin wrote:
praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:41 pm 

I think the Ruger Frontier is discontinued not the GSR.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm 

GSR is still in production. Getting rid of it would be about the dumbest thing Ruger could do since they can't make them fast enough currently. That's the only problem I have with the GSR currently, is getting one. Also I'm left handed so that leaves out a few options in the bolt action field.

The GSR seems to be the crowd favorite so i'll continue holding out for one of them unless a really good deal springs up on the used market for something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 pm 

ultra magnus wrote:
I think the Ruger Frontier is discontinued not the GSR.

That's what I meant. Colloquialisms for the fail.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 pm 

Bender711 wrote:
GSR is still in production. Getting rid of it would be about the dumbest thing Ruger could do since they can't make them fast enough currently. That's the only problem I have with the GSR currently, is getting one. Also I'm left handed so that leaves out a few options in the bolt action field.

The GSR seems to be the crowd favorite so i'll continue holding out for one of them unless a really good deal springs up on the used market for something.

I see more of the lefty models than the right handed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 pm 

My nephew loves his scout rifle, but really for pig hunting either will work fine.
My favorite all around cartridge is 308

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

praharin wrote:

MVegas893.1 wrote:
Also, the lever action excels in close to medium range engagements.

Even with the new Lever-evolution ammo 30-30 is not going to get the same maximum point blank range as decent 308. It also has the advantage of both cheap surplus and (expensive) super accurate match ammo available from the factory. A lever action might be a little faster for close to medium range engagements, but to say it "excels" is probably a bit of an overstatement. That's the territory of the assault rifle, and will remain so for some time to come I expect.

And if an assault rifle was on OPs option list, I'd be glad to discuss it's advantages.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm 

I was having the exact same conflict picking which rifle to get. After much internal debate and then being completly frustrated with not being able to find a GSR i could actually see. I finally decided to get the marlin in 30-30. I walked in the door of the local pawn/gun shop and started telling the clerk what I wanted in a rifle w/o mentioning the GSR. He goes "your not left handed are you?" Next thing I know, I'm holding one of the best shooting rifles I've ever owned. Without trying to fall into all of the hype about a "scout rifle" I believe the GSR has to be the best all around rifle I've ever shot. Again just my opinion. If you can find one, get it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Bender711 wrote:
Also I'm left handed so that leaves out a few options in the bolt action field.

I shoot lefty, and both of my scouts are right hand models. The optic is way out on the barrel, so "going-over-the-top" with my left hand to work the bolt works just fine.

ETA: I did put larger Badger bolt knobs on both rifles to make it a little easier to grasp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

praharin wrote:
Niblick wrote:

That's a thought, but I'd like to be able to hunt with it....

That's too bad.....I can use my auto-loaders with 10 round mags down here.