10/22 purchase advice

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thelung187
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

10/22 purchase advice

Post by thelung187 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm hopefully going to buy my first 10/22 this week (wife just graduated from grad school so we're both "gifting" something to ourselves), I'm super-stoked, been wanting a .22LR for a while now! Any tips on where to start? I was thinking of just the standard off-the-shelf model from Dick's, and then doing some upgrades slowly from there, but I'm curious as to people's experiences:

- Wood versus synthetic? Synthetic seems like the more popular option these days, but this isn't going to be anything I keep in the car, it'll be kept in a safe mostly
- .920 bull barrel, is it worth it? My standard range is only a 25 yd. indoor, and even the usual outside range is 100 yds. max. If so, better to bore out the stock to make it fit, or just buy an aftermarket stock?
- Advice on optics? I was thinking a cheap scope or a Primary Arms Aimpoint clone of sorts.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but any advice you guys could give on buying/upgrading would be wholly welcome :D
AZMedic wrote:Oh thats not sarcasm at all. We would be truly fucked.
Melpat wrote:That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Re: 10/22 purchase advice

Post by J.C. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

You need to decide what style of shooting you want to do. For the heavy-barrel optics thing I'd go with a synthetic after-market. I'd put money into a trigger before I do the barrel though. What I'd really advise is you get it and shoot a couple thousand rounds and then decide what you want to do with it. Shooting off a bench is kind of boring to me after I've got everything setup how I want; shooting from various offhand positions requires more skill and practice and favors different setup and sights.

As far as optics...I'd go a little higher quality like maybe a Burris or even a Bushnell is still really cheap but some of them are pretty decent. Make sure you get one made for rimfire as otherwise the parallax won't be optimum.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Check out the difference between the buttstock on the carbine and sporter model. The carbine seems like it has a really deep crescent and it's pretty uncomfortable to me, but the sporter shoulders great.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 pm

thelung187 wrote:- Wood versus synthetic? Synthetic seems like the more popular option these days, but this isn't going to be anything I keep in the car, it'll be kept in a safe mostly
Thats a personal choice, mainly depending on what you're doing with it. Hunting vs benchrest shooting. I kept the wood because I like the way it looks and feels vs a synthetic. I like the synthetic on my shotguns, though.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Go to RimfireCentral.com before you buy!

Ruger's "upgrades" need work to be as good as aftermarket stuff.
There are a lot of upgrades you can do yourself.
Tony Kidd makes the best upgrade parts... for a price!

GO TO RIMFIRECENTRAL.COM BEFORE YOU BUY! :mrgreen:

eye candy...

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 am

Necrodamus wrote:Go to RimfireCentral.com before you buy!
I agree. It's easy to build a rifle to whatever specs you want. The trigger is important, so spend a bit of $ on that.

I'll say this though, if I could go that way here in Norway, I'd go for a Compact(16" barrel with Williamson firesights) in a folding stock.

Here's my planejane 10/22 with a Butler Creek packer stock.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am

There's so much stuff you can do with the 10/22. I don't have the link handy, but there's a company making a stock set so your 10/22 looks a lot like and M1 Carbine. Just a thought.

Jim

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:15 am

jrswanson1 wrote:There's so much stuff you can do with the 10/22. I don't have the link handy, but there's a company making a stock set so your 10/22 looks a lot like and M1 Carbine. Just a thought.

Jim
I have the link handy, someday it will be mine.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/M1_ ... 0-178.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 am

thelung187 wrote:- Wood versus synthetic? Synthetic seems like the more popular option these days, but this isn't going to be anything I keep in the car, it'll be kept in a safe mostly
Handle both and see what you think. The wood stocks have a sort of flat contour cheekpiece on them. Don't know about the factory synthetics, but I know the hogue stocks have a more conventional buttstock.
- .920 bull barrel, is it worth it? My standard range is only a 25 yd. indoor, and even the usual outside range is 100 yds. max. If so, better to bore out the stock to make it fit, or just buy an aftermarket stock?
Depends. Is it gonna be a hunting rifle or a plinker? The heavy barrel offers two advantages. It doesn't heat up as quickly, causing fewer "fliers", and it's heavier. The weight makes it less apt to move a little bit here and there on a set of sandbags, and for me, anyway, easier to hold more steadily offhand.
- Advice on optics? I was thinking a cheap scope or a Primary Arms Aimpoint clone of sorts.
Again, what is it for? A plinker or short range hunter would be fine with a red-dot, while someone looking to shoot nickel sized groups at 100 yards, or sooting squirrels in the head, will want something with some magnification to it.

If it were me, in the market for a 10/22, I'd go one of two ways with it.

1- Plinker. I'd probably go with one of the butler creek wire folders. Sights would be either a tube-type red dot (CDNN sells some that would be fine on a .22 under their "TArget Sports" line) or something like a compact 2-7 or 3-9x scope with a duplex reticle. I'd probably need a rail adapter of some type to use weaver rings on the receiver. Magazines would be Butler Creek or Ruger hi-caps.

2- Hunter. Hogue stock, heavy barrel, weaver adapter, decent glass. Something like a 3-9x, or maybe a 4-12x. I'd lean heavily towards something with an adjustable objective or a side-focus knob. As fine of crosshairs as I could get, no mil-dots, BDCs, or holdover reticles. A good sling, not one of those stretchy rubber-band slings manufacturers are trying to cram down everyones throat. Mags would be Ruger 10rnds for hunting, or hi caps for the range.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

10/22 purchase advice

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:25 am

TAPCO EVERYTHING!

No seriously, I'm just tagging for interest. :P
Last edited by BullOnParade on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:49 pm

BullOnParade wrote:TAPCO EVERYTHING!

No seriously, I'm just tagging for interest. :p
Dude, I was jonesing for a 10/22 when I got mine, so it has the crapco furniture on it. I don't hate it, but I'd rather have the wood. OTOH, my wife finds it extremely comfortable to shoot with the adjustable stock, so it's sorta win, it just looks mall-ninja-ey.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

agent-smith

Post by agent-smith » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:53 pm

I have a factory 10/22T with a Leupold 3-9x EFR I bought...nearly 15yrs ago ( Holy Shit!!! I hadn't realized it has been that long).

Stock choice is of course subjective, but I absolutely love the Ruger laminate stock.
CATCH PHRASE!!!!!

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:12 am

Buy the basic cheapest model you can. First mod should be the trigger, I would suggest the Timney complete trigger pack. For $140 you get a superb trigger, auto bolt release, and extended mag release all in a CNC machined billet trigger housing. Second mod, I would change the stock, the Hogue Overmolded is a great basic stock and will fit the third mod, a .920 target. Add a set of NoDak Spud 10/22 sights and you will have a rifle that will likely shoot moa, will have really great sights, be easy to scope, and handles very nicely.

Oh yes...buy a couple extra mags early on...
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

thelung187
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by thelung187 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Bought my 10/22 yesterday, I was at the range for about 2.5 hours yesterday and still didn't go through two full boxes of ammo, had a blast!! I used Federal 325 boxes of match-grade ammo (I'd heard the 550 boxes had the occasional dud), didn't have one FTF/FTE, every round shot beautifully. I ended up going for the base model with a wood stock and black barrel. I had looked at the chrome barreled version, but it had a synthetic stock, and once I held it, it just didn't have that certain "feel" to it like the wood. Costs me $217 before taxes/fees.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions, good info to know about the difference in scopes as far as centerfire vs. rimfire. I ended up browsing Rimfire Central for a while after it was mentioned, great info there! :) I'll post pics in the other 10/22 thread tomorrow.
AZMedic wrote:Oh thats not sarcasm at all. We would be truly fucked.
Melpat wrote:That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

tonytwotimes

Post by tonytwotimes » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:38 am

*cough* Marlin 795 *cough*

No pics?
Distance is a very good indicator of disdain

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”