Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:49 am 

I just placed my order for a brand new JR Carbine. Basically, it's a compact "black rifle" chambered in 9mm (accepts Glock mags) that has an "AR look" to it. It's classified as non-restricted in Canada and because it accepts Glock pistol magazines, I can legally have 10 rd mags for it rather than the usual 5 for semi-auto centrefire rifles. It's available in 9mm or .40 cal. I chose 9mm primarily due to the very low cost of ammo. It also features an alloy receiver and quad rail, ambidextrous bolt and ejector port and an M4 style stock. At $899, the price was right for one of the few centerfire AR style rifles that are non-restricted. Along with the rifle, I ordered two cases of 500 rds for $110 each. I'm hoping that they'll get it out ASAP today and I'll have it to take to the range this weekend. I am debating between fitting it with a scope or a red dot. I'm going to head over to the local sporting goods store at lunch time and take a look around.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Last edited by mantis on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 am 

I think its pretty nifty, can't wait to hear a range report! No irons on it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 am 

sworbeyegib wrote:
I think its pretty nifty, can't wait to hear a range report! No irons on it?

Thanks. I'll post one as soon as I get it on the range - hopefully this weekend. It ships with no irons at all - I'm leaning towards a decent red dot rather than a scope. I also looked at a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 which also accepts Glock mags but decided that this was the way to go.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I visited their website hoping to see one in 10mm. Maybe someday (hint to all you manufacturers out there) someone will make a similar affordable 10mm carbine (I know Bazooka Bros do 'em, but the $$$, alas) :(

Get High Speed so Zombies can't catch ya! TAD, TAG, and Kifaru 4 sale! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104048

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

omega_man wrote:
I visited their website hoping to see one in 10mm. Maybe someday (hint to all you manufacturers out there) someone will make a similar affordable 10mm carbine (I know Bazooka Bros do 'em, but the $$$, alas) :(

+1 10mm PCC would be so win.

Prepare intellectually, materially, physically and martially.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm 

Just looked up the cost of 10mm ammo.... between .61 and .69c a round (for FMJ) was the cheepest I could find(I didn't do a huge search). Maybe thats why no-one makes a PCC in it? Not enough market? (yes, I know most 10mm shooters likely reload).

I bet you could get some impressive numbers out of the longer barrel, maybe SBR it down to like 10" :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:52 am 

Does it take Glock 19 magazines? Or just Glock 17 mags? I would love to get one of these, to go with my Glock 19. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Dexion1619 wrote:
Just looked up the cost of 10mm ammo.... between .61 and .69c a round (for FMJ) was the cheepest I could find(I didn't do a huge search). Maybe thats why no-one makes a PCC in it? Not enough market? (yes, I know most 10mm shooters likely reload).

I bet you could get some impressive numbers out of the longer barrel, maybe SBR it down to like 10" :shock:

PSA has 10mm for $18 for 50 rds.

Prepare intellectually, materially, physically and martially.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:30 am 

jermzy wrote:
Does it take Glock 19 magazines? Or just Glock 17 mags? I would love to get one of these, to go with my Glock 19. :)

I'm not sure. I'll check the manual when it arrives and let you know.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:16 am 

mantis wrote:
-accepts Glock pistol magazines
-available in 9mm or .40
-features an alloy receiver and quad rail
-ambidextrous bolt and ejector port
-M4 style stock
-$899

I am debating between fitting it with a scope or a red dot.

This looks pretty kick ass, I'd RDS it. I'd like one in .40 to go with my G35's.

I wonder if the buffer tube is used, or if I could stick an ACE folder on it.

Hope the price comes down, or I'll just buy another Arsenal AK instead...

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:33 am 

Regular Guy wrote:
omega_man wrote:

Per a rep from JR Carbine, they don't have a heavy enough buffer to use with the 10mm round. Even the H2 isn't enough, and they don't want to go with anything custom so they can keep the price down :gonk:

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:30 pm 

mantis wrote:
jermzy wrote:

I'm not sure. I'll check the manual when it arrives and let you know.

From the look of the mag well, it should take Glock 26 mags. Those are the shortest made for a 9mm frame. I would not worry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:33 am 

jor-el wrote:
From the look of the mag well, it should take Glock 26 mags. Those are the shortest made for a 9mm frame. I would not worry.

Looking again, it sure does look that way. Assuming the same of the .40, KICK ASS.

Even if it's backing up the 27 I would theoreticly CCW, that shorty mag can go wherever I need it to! I like!

minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:52 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

jrswanson1 wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
omega_man wrote:

Per a rep from JR Carbine, they don't have a heavy enough buffer to use with the 10mm round. Even the H2 isn't enough, and they don't want to go with anything custom so they can keep the price down :gonk:

Jim

Eh, pussies. The only thing stopping them is the lack of a heavy buffer. Hello, small business--there might be a demand here!

Get High Speed so Zombies can't catch ya! TAD, TAG, and Kifaru 4 sale! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104048

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:37 am 

omega_man wrote:
jrswanson1 wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
omega_man wrote:

Jim
Eh, pussies. The only thing stopping them is the lack of a heavy buffer. Hello, small business--there might be a demand here!

Couldn't the BCG be made heavier to account for a lighter spring? Am I totally off base?

minengr wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:27 pm 

Remember it's not a true AR15 conversion. Without a look-see at the bolt, it may not have any way to add weight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm 

My new toy arrived today! Here are some photos. I added a Bushnell Trophy red-dot site and a LED Lenser flashlight to it. I'll post a full review after I get it to the range but my initial impressions are extremely positive.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:06 pm 

Neato, like some steroidal ar7 with that magazine and receiver shape. Looks weird but fun. Your story makes me glad I live here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 am 

Hi mantis,

Your Just Right (JR) Carbine, looks nice.. About 3 month ago I was thinking about getting one. Like the ideal my handgun and rifle would use the same magazines and ammo. I read a lot of good and bad things about the JR Carbine 9mm, which still leaves me undecided what I want to do.

One thing they all do say is NOT to run any "+P or +P+ " ammunition, due to "The blowback action is balanced to work with standard SAAMI spec ammunition".
http://gunblast.com/EMF-JRCarbine.htm

Here is an upgrade look of a JR Carbine, that looks great.
http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/141442 ... rbine.html

Have fun and be safe.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:05 am 

NkySpike wrote:
Hi mantis,

Your Just Right (JR) Carbine, looks nice.. About 3 month ago I was thinking about getting one. Like the ideal my handgun and rifle would use the same magazines and ammo. I read a lot of good and bad things about the JR Carbine 9mm, which still leaves me undecided what I want to do.

One thing they all do say is NOT to run any "+P or +P+ " ammunition, due to "The blowback action is balanced to work with standard SAAMI spec ammunition".
http://gunblast.com/EMF-JRCarbine.htm

Here is an upgrade look of a JR Carbine, that looks great.
http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/141442 ... rbine.html

Have fun and be safe.

Hey thanks for the info! I really like the looks of that kit. I'll have to look into whether they ship north of the border or if there are any distributers up here. I'll post some more info on this rifle as soon as I've had it out on the range.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:58 am 

So I finally got my new JR Carbine out to the gun club for some serious range time. First time I had it out, I just wanted to "break it in" and get the red dot sighted in. This time I wanted to have some fun. Given the range of the 9mm Parabellum cartridge, I zeroed the rifle for 50 yards range which is perfect with that Tasco Red Dot on it. At that range, the red dot pretty much covers the bulls-eye on the targets that I was using. I put 300 rounds through the rifle this past Saturday firing from a rest as well as firing off-hand from a standing position. The rifle performed extremely well. My average group size from a rest at 50 yards was about 2" and about 4" standing. When firing on the 100 yard range, the bullets tended to drop approximately 2" and the groupings were very similar to the 50 yard range. In over 300 rounds, I did not experience a single misfeed, however, there was one minor issue where one casing failed to clear the ejection port and stove-piped. It worked equally well with cheap Russian made MFS steel case 9mm as with American Eagle brass cased ammo. In both cases, I was using 115 grain full metal jacket bullets. There is very little recoil since the buffer absorbs most of is and what recoil there is comes straight back at you and causes very little barrel rise. As a result, you can rapid fire with pretty good accuracy.

My one complaint about the rifle is the difficulty in dissassembly and re-assembly. Unlike an AR where you are simply poping pins, to take down the JR carbine and remove the bolt you need to:

1) Unload and safe the firearm.
2) Remove the magazine.
3) Remove three hex screws from the lower receiver and remove the lower receiver (in two piences - the mag well and the pistol grip with trigger assembly).
4) Use an AR-15 butt stock wrench to loosen the castle nut holding the butt stock in place and then unscreen the buttstock. Ensure that the bolt is in the forward position and not putting tension on the buffer.)
5) Use an alan key to remove the charging handle.
6) Slide the bolt out of the rear of the upper receiver.

That process takes a few minutes but it is much more labour intensive than stripping an AR. You can take it down further by:

7) Use an AR-15 tool to loosen the castle nut holding the fore arm in place and then unscrew the fore arm.
8) Use an wrench to unscrew the nut holding the barrel in place and remove the barrel.

The manufacturer is going to be releasing conversion kit that will allow you to swap the barrel, bolt and mag well in order to chamber different calibers such as .45 ACP and .40.

Overall, I'd give this fiream an excellet rating of 8/10. If it was a little bit lighter and easier to field strip, it would be a perfect 10. If you are looking for a pistol caliber carbine that accepts Glock magazines, I'd strongly recommend the JR Carbine. It's affordable and you truly do get a lot of bang for your buck.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:10 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Thanks for the review!