M1A Squad Scout

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chris@MTCT

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Chris@MTCT » Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Whiskey wrote:GD4, those pouches on your left side of the belt are Tacos? With pistol tacos attached?
http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Double_Decke ... sk.155.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double mo foin deckers!

better pics in the Sigboy belt thread I linked earlier.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Snake0311

Post by Snake0311 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:34 am

Absolutly everything you could ever need for that rifle can be found at desertwarriorproducts.com. I have been using them for years and got parts from for both my m1A's

SNAFU-M1A

Post by SNAFU-M1A » Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 am

I used the Versa-pod on my Scout & like it. This is where I got mine & you get free shipping. http://www.smartgunner.com/150-807.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for carrying mags I use a couple of different options. For vest carry I use the HSGI Warlord. There are a couple different of versions but it has 4 mags pouches that carry either 3 AR mags or 2 M1a/AK mags so you can use it for either platform. Look for a used 1 though, they are a lot cheaper. I also use a BAR belt. Each pouch holds 2 mags for a total of 12! There is also a BAR bandoleer that has 3 mag pouches for a total of 6 mags. Lots of places also make mag shingles so you can set up your vest how you want it.

http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddet ... FN-WARV-3B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-ww2-b-a-r-magazine-belt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-wwi-b-a-r-ma ... olier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.optactical.com/cltatasi7mag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.optactical.com/clatstr7trgl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank

Post by Frank » Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 am

instead of creating a new thread..i have a few more questions..

im having a hard time deciding on the 18 or 16 inch barrel.
18 inches should give you more range, but i don't think i would be able to fulfill the true accuracy of it. How far are typical engagements? i find it hard to imagine i would have to defend myself from anything greater than 300 yards ( it still amazes me being able to engage people at three football fields away..but i'm not good with yardage yet)

i really want to get my hands on both rifles to shoot them..i have put a few rounds through the 22" barrel and it honestly kicked my ass. it was my first time shooting a full powered rifle though.

i watched the run and gun on nutinfancys channel (yes i i know) and the 16 inch barrel looked like it had very manageable recoil.

reasons for wanting 16" barrel
-shorter overall length..around 37 compared to 40.3
(more compactness, easier handling and maneuverability)
-lighter wieght 8.1 compared to 9 pounds
(they are heavy rifles regardless with 20 round mags)
-tritium sight, compared to standard steel
(although they both do kick ass.)
-compensator versus a stabilizer.
(school me, i don't know anything about this)
-i want to eventually run an optic maybe an RDS but thats about it for any add ons to the rifle, so weight becomes a problem.

any answers would seriously help..thanks :D
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed May 18, 2011 4:30 am

This is how I'd love to set up a scout.

With a bedded action and some match ammo.

Yum.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 am

Frank wrote:instead of creating a new thread..i have a few more questions..

im having a hard time deciding on the 18 or 16 inch barrel.
18 inches should give you more range, but i don't think i would be able to fulfill the true accuracy of it. How far are typical engagements? i find it hard to imagine i would have to defend myself from anything greater than 300 yards ( it still amazes me being able to engage people at three football fields away..but i'm not good with yardage yet)
My M1A "Scout-ish" rifle actually came with a 22" stainless steel barrel and post-ban flash suppressor which I swapped out for a Fulton 18" chrome-lined barrel and Smith compensator. That shortened the whole package a good 5 inches.

While I'm sure I lost a little velocity with the switch, the shorter barrel is just as accurate as the original one, most likely because it's shorter length is more "rigid". I don't know how the Springfield Scout length barrel compares to the Fulton in quality, though.

I got lucky with the iron sights, also. A 200 meter zero with the 22" barrel was 6 clicks up from the bottom. A 200 meter zero with the 18" barrel is 2 clicks.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed May 18, 2011 3:18 pm

RickOShea wrote:My M1A "Scout-ish" rifle actually came with a 22" stainless steel barrel and post-ban flash suppressor which I swapped out for a Fulton 18" chrome-lined barrel and Smith compensator. That shortened the whole package a good 5 inches.

While I'm sure I lost a little velocity with the switch, the shorter barrel is just as accurate as the original one, most likely because it's shorter length is more "rigid". I don't know how the Springfield Scout length barrel compares to the Fulton in quality, though.

I got lucky with the iron sights, also. A 200 meter zero with the 22" barrel was 6 clicks up from the bottom. A 200 meter zero with the 18" barrel is 2 clicks.
What's the farthest you've ever reached out with it?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
RickOShea wrote:My M1A "Scout-ish" rifle actually came with a 22" stainless steel barrel and post-ban flash suppressor which I swapped out for a Fulton 18" chrome-lined barrel and Smith compensator. That shortened the whole package a good 5 inches.

What's the farthest you've ever reached out with it?
450 yards.... Shoots paper plate groups with surplus FMJ, about half that size with 165-168gr ballistic tips.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 am

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com ... strig.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the rig I rock for my M1a and my SOCOM. Each of those pouches will hold 2 M1 mags.
I really like the look of those BAR belts, and for that price I will probably have to pick one up

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 am

One thing I forgot to add; I carry 4 mags in my rig, but I also carry ammo loaded on stripper clips in the side bags. A lot of people overlook the fact that the M1a has a built in stripper clip guide in the top of the receiver and you can reload the mags while they are in the gun.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”