M1A Squad Scout

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Chris@MTCT
* * * * *
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Spring,TX

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Chris@MTCT » Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Whiskey wrote:GD4, those pouches on your left side of the belt are Tacos? With pistol tacos attached?
http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Double_Decke ... sk.155.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Double mo foin deckers!

better pics in the Sigboy belt thread I linked earlier.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Snake0311
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 5:13 am

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Snake0311 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:34 am

Absolutly everything you could ever need for that rifle can be found at desertwarriorproducts.com. I have been using them for years and got parts from for both my m1A's

SNAFU-M1A
*
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Indiana

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by SNAFU-M1A » Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 am

I used the Versa-pod on my Scout & like it. This is where I got mine & you get free shipping. http://www.smartgunner.com/150-807.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for carrying mags I use a couple of different options. For vest carry I use the HSGI Warlord. There are a couple different of versions but it has 4 mags pouches that carry either 3 AR mags or 2 M1a/AK mags so you can use it for either platform. Look for a used 1 though, they are a lot cheaper. I also use a BAR belt. Each pouch holds 2 mags for a total of 12! There is also a BAR bandoleer that has 3 mag pouches for a total of 6 mags. Lots of places also make mag shingles so you can set up your vest how you want it.

http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddet ... FN-WARV-3B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-ww2-b-a-r-magazine-belt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-wwi-b-a-r-ma ... olier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.optactical.com/cltatasi7mag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.optactical.com/clatstr7trgl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Frank
* * * * *
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Frank » Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 am

instead of creating a new thread..i have a few more questions..

im having a hard time deciding on the 18 or 16 inch barrel.
18 inches should give you more range, but i don't think i would be able to fulfill the true accuracy of it. How far are typical engagements? i find it hard to imagine i would have to defend myself from anything greater than 300 yards ( it still amazes me being able to engage people at three football fields away..but i'm not good with yardage yet)

i really want to get my hands on both rifles to shoot them..i have put a few rounds through the 22" barrel and it honestly kicked my ass. it was my first time shooting a full powered rifle though.

i watched the run and gun on nutinfancys channel (yes i i know) and the 16 inch barrel looked like it had very manageable recoil.

reasons for wanting 16" barrel
-shorter overall length..around 37 compared to 40.3
(more compactness, easier handling and maneuverability)
-lighter wieght 8.1 compared to 9 pounds
(they are heavy rifles regardless with 20 round mags)
-tritium sight, compared to standard steel
(although they both do kick ass.)
-compensator versus a stabilizer.
(school me, i don't know anything about this)
-i want to eventually run an optic maybe an RDS but thats about it for any add ons to the rifle, so weight becomes a problem.

any answers would seriously help..thanks :D
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed May 18, 2011 4:30 am

This is how I'd love to set up a scout.


Image

With a bedded action and some match ammo.

Yum.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 am

Frank wrote:instead of creating a new thread..i have a few more questions..

im having a hard time deciding on the 18 or 16 inch barrel.
18 inches should give you more range, but i don't think i would be able to fulfill the true accuracy of it. How far are typical engagements? i find it hard to imagine i would have to defend myself from anything greater than 300 yards ( it still amazes me being able to engage people at three football fields away..but i'm not good with yardage yet)
My M1A "Scout-ish" rifle actually came with a 22" stainless steel barrel and post-ban flash suppressor which I swapped out for a Fulton 18" chrome-lined barrel and Smith compensator. That shortened the whole package a good 5 inches.

While I'm sure I lost a little velocity with the switch, the shorter barrel is just as accurate as the original one, most likely because it's shorter length is more "rigid". I don't know how the Springfield Scout length barrel compares to the Fulton in quality, though.

I got lucky with the iron sights, also. A 200 meter zero with the 22" barrel was 6 clicks up from the bottom. A 200 meter zero with the 18" barrel is 2 clicks.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed May 18, 2011 3:18 pm

RickOShea wrote:My M1A "Scout-ish" rifle actually came with a 22" stainless steel barrel and post-ban flash suppressor which I swapped out for a Fulton 18" chrome-lined barrel and Smith compensator. That shortened the whole package a good 5 inches.

While I'm sure I lost a little velocity with the switch, the shorter barrel is just as accurate as the original one, most likely because it's shorter length is more "rigid". I don't know how the Springfield Scout length barrel compares to the Fulton in quality, though.

I got lucky with the iron sights, also. A 200 meter zero with the 22" barrel was 6 clicks up from the bottom. A 200 meter zero with the 18" barrel is 2 clicks.
What's the farthest you've ever reached out with it?

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
RickOShea wrote:My M1A "Scout-ish" rifle actually came with a 22" stainless steel barrel and post-ban flash suppressor which I swapped out for a Fulton 18" chrome-lined barrel and Smith compensator. That shortened the whole package a good 5 inches.

While I'm sure I lost a little velocity with the switch, the shorter barrel is just as accurate as the original one, most likely because it's shorter length is more "rigid". I don't know how the Springfield Scout length barrel compares to the Fulton in quality, though.

I got lucky with the iron sights, also. A 200 meter zero with the 22" barrel was 6 clicks up from the bottom. A 200 meter zero with the 18" barrel is 2 clicks.
What's the farthest you've ever reached out with it?
450 yards.... Shoots paper plate groups with surplus FMJ, about half that size with 165-168gr ballistic tips.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Big D
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Big D » Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 am

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com ... strig.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the rig I rock for my M1a and my SOCOM. Each of those pouches will hold 2 M1 mags.
I really like the look of those BAR belts, and for that price I will probably have to pick one up

Big D
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Re: M1A Squad Scout

Post by Big D » Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 am

One thing I forgot to add; I carry 4 mags in my rig, but I also carry ammo loaded on stripper clips in the side bags. A lot of people overlook the fact that the M1a has a built in stripper clip guide in the top of the receiver and you can reload the mags while they are in the gun.

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”