glenfield mod 60

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rick12337
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of romeros stuff is good

glenfield mod 60

Post by Rick12337 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 am

scored one for $20 this morning beat up older model with the squirrel on the stock. My buddy says it jams and misfire all the time like most other mod 60's I bet it is just built up crud now to see were this project takes me.

Necrodamus

Re: glenfield mod 60

Post by Necrodamus » Sun May 01, 2011 8:35 am

Might need some new springs as well.
That squirrel on the stock tells me that thing is pretty old!
I remember helping a friend fix one of those up and his was old too... that was 20 years ago!

Rick12337

Post by Rick12337 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 am

yeah so far the rear tang of the trigger gaurd seems broke plus the hammer spring sounds very weak when I dry fire it. So other then maybe a couple of springs it is all cosmetic rust and scrached up wood.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 am

Midway carries nearly everything for these. A good clean and a few springs should have it running great again.

Rick12337

Post by Rick12337 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 am

good to know already have an account with midway. I prefer the mod60 over the ruger 10/22 and I have been waiting a while to come across one of these older ones that holds 18 instead of 15.

DeathBYFox
Favorite Zombie Movies: dead alive

Post by DeathBYFox » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 am

I have this exact rifle. Dont dry fire that's how i broke my hammer. Numrich also has the parts and for a little cheaper then most. Sweet gun though i can drill the bullseye at 50 ' all day long.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun May 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Rimfires should not be dry fired. The firing pin (with it's age, throw a new one of these in it, too, as part of your tune up) isn't centered on the chamber as it is with a center fire cartridge, it's offset to the top. Dry firing runs the firing pin into the wall above the chamber, where the rim is on a .22LR.

Might not be a bad idea to soak the action in a good solvent like Hoppe's for a while. It's probably got a fair amount of crud in it after all these years. Brownells.com will also be a source for factory parts.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Haji wrote:Rimfires should not be dry fired. The firing pin (with it's age, throw a new one of these in it, too, as part of your tune up) isn't centered on the chamber as it is with a center fire cartridge, it's offset to the top. Dry firing runs the firing pin into the wall above the chamber, where the rim is on a .22LR.

Might not be a bad idea to soak the action in a good solvent like Hoppe's for a while. It's probably got a fair amount of crud in it after all these years. Brownells.com will also be a source for factory parts.

http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePa ... 324&cid=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MonsterZero
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George A. Romero.

Post by MonsterZero » Sun May 01, 2011 12:31 pm

I posted about this in someone else's thread, but if you replace the springs, some of them need to be offset just a bit. That was causing my 60 to jam every time. Good score though; they're great.
"Call me the dark intruder
Call me the haunted sea
Call me your Monster Zero
Call me anything you need."

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun May 01, 2011 12:45 pm

ultra magnus wrote:
Haji wrote:Rimfires should not be dry fired. The firing pin (with it's age, throw a new one of these in it, too, as part of your tune up) isn't centered on the chamber as it is with a center fire cartridge, it's offset to the top. Dry firing runs the firing pin into the wall above the chamber, where the rim is on a .22LR.

http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePa ... 324&cid=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To clear this up a bit...
A lot of older guns had firing pins that protruded and didnt float like modern guns.
On rimfires this meant the edge of the chamber could be dimpled causing problems.
Most modern guns have a pin that prevents the firing pin from protruding further than the recessed breach face preventing any possibility of damage.
Dry firing an older gun or a newer gun with that pin removed can damage the edge of the chamber over time. Make sure you know your firearm and that all parts are properly installed, train accordingly.

Rick12337

Post by Rick12337 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:17 pm

yeah its actualy way cleaner then my other one to much lube :roll:.Never knew that the firing pin could ruin the chamber always thought it mainly damaged the firing pin if anything.my other one I got for $60 and with irons can outshoot my buddys scoped 10/22

proudupstater

Post by proudupstater » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 pm

That exact same gun was the first one I ever shot. Incredibly accurate, although it jammed a lot before I took it completely apart and cleaned it throughly (it had belong to my granddad, sat behind a desk for years and I don't think he ever cleaned it). It runs smoothly now and my dad still keeps it handy for keeping coyotes away from the animals.

SNAFU-M1A

Post by SNAFU-M1A » Sat May 14, 2011 2:19 pm

The Marlin 60 is the 1st gun I ever owned. My parents gave it to me for Christmas when I was 12. I still have it 20yrs later & it will be the gun my kids learn to shot when they get a little older. I have never had any problems with mine. No jams or anything.

austin93906
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, zombieland, etc

Post by austin93906 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Necrodamus wrote:
ultra magnus wrote:

To clear this up a bit...
A lot of older guns had firing pins that protruded and didnt float like modern guns.
On rimfires this meant the edge of the chamber could be dimpled causing problems.
Most modern guns have a pin that prevents the firing pin from protruding further than the recessed breach face preventing any possibility of damage.
Dry firing an older gun or a newer gun with that pin removed can damage the edge of the chamber over time. Make sure you know your firearm and that all parts are properly installed, train accordingly.
let me just say something from my experience with older rimfires: dont risk dry firing them

i have a winchester model 250 lever action .22, made in the 60's and through the course of about 200 times dry firing it, i screwed up the chamber bad, snapped off part of the the firing pin/ejector. the edge of the chamber was dented in, causing the displaced metal to jut out into the chamber, making it impossible to chamber a round. i had to go at it with a diamond etching bit on a dremel to smooth out the chamber again, and buy and install a new firing pin (was a bitch to find)

EDIT: you can see the indentation on the edge of the chamber here. it should be completely flush with the rest of the chamber
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.
Why u should use Snap Caps

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sat May 21, 2011 12:12 am

I have an ancient pre serial numbered, Western Auto parts "Revelation" that belonged to my grandfather originally. He stopped in for windshield wiper blades, and came out with a rifle in addition to the blades. It rode in the back of his AMC Marlin and was used to destroy with prejudice massive amounts of various rodents, before it was passed to my dad sometime in the 70s where it lived in my dad's VW bus and served the same function. Its seen little love, much use and by the time it got to me she was pretty rough. I dropped the little trigger group a dish full of brake cleaner for a week, and scrubbed the receiver out with some harsh solvent my dad uses for his 50.

Now it runs like a top, and no shit its every bit as accurate as the modern Model 60s. Its the honey badger of .22s in my opinion, it'll eat anything, it kills with great ease and its smooth enough to make sling carry downright comfortable. the Mod 60, and its previous generations are all quite reliable when they're shown a little love and out of the box I believe they're significantly more accurate than the 10/22.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”