Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:24 am 

I came across a decent deal on a Olympic Arms AR15 in .223. I was curious if anyone owned one or had experiences with this company. My concerns are quality and reliability. Thanks ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:26 am 

They are generally considered the bottom of the bin as far as ARs go. If you buy it, never depend your life on it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 am 

I had one once....it was an airsoft gun. Seriously, they convert the recievers to work in airsoft. Don't buy it. You could get a CMMG bargain bin M4 for $600 or a Double Star for $650

Jvandenhaus wrote:
Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:09 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

How decent is decent, though? Eight hundred bucks, run away. Two fifty? Inspect it carefully and buy it to play with, but don't expect it to be as good as a BCM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 am 

Bearcat wrote:
I had one once....it was an airsoft gun. Seriously, they convert the recievers to work in airsoft. Don't buy it. You could get a CMMG bargain bin M4 for $600 or a Double Star for $650

if this air soft crap fits this gun it fits any ar15. every single 5.56 ar15 parts are compatible with each other. so if it fits a olympic arms it will fit a $15,000 select fire colt. btw m4's are select fire and on average go for $14,000 not $600.

( They are generally considered the bottom of the bin as far as ARs go. If you buy it, never depend your life on it.)

they are considered mid level. some olympic arms have cast receivers others have mil spec forged receivers. if you get one with mil spec forged receivers then it is just as good as the guns they are using over sea's. the military issued ar's upper and lower receivers have 100% the exact same material, machining process, mil spec's, and finish..its the same if maintained properly you shoul be able to trust your life with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:59 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Having owned one before I would never buy another one, they are utter pieces of crap. Continual jams, FTF, FTE.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 am 

buckcr250r wrote:
Bearcat wrote:

if this air soft crap fits this gun it fits any ar15. every single 5.56 ar15 parts are compatible with each other. so if it fits a olympic arms it will fit a $15,000 select fire colt. btw m4's are select fire and on average go for $14,000 not $600.

Oh so not true. Many parts from brand to brand will not work in higher end AR's. Hell I sheared a firing pin retaining pin in half, borrowed a dpms pin and it would not work in my Wilson AR. AR's with super tight tolerances normally dont like low end stuff.

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:14 am 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
Buckcr, not a single thing you just said was even close to correct.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:24 am 

i guess i can agree if you try to put some colt parts in a shitty norinco ar yah you might run into that. i'm just trying to prove a point yuh know. just about anytime when someone mentions how any gun jams they blame it on the gun lol. guns themselves have less to do with jams than ammo or the magazine. ex: magazine spring too tight, magazine spring too loose, cheap magazine, worn magazine follower, dirty magazine lol, steel case ammo, laquor coated ammo, old ammo, tarnished ammo, and so on. a lot of people seem to forget to replace extractot springs and extractors every now and then too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:25 am 

TDW586 wrote:

at least try to contribute instead of saying, "buckcr, not a single thing you said was correct" olympic arms come in either cast or forged mil spec. i already corrected myself about cross compatibility. civilian m4 cost around $14,000. a m4 is select fire.

your statement is completely wrong unless you can prove otherwise. please let me know what is wrong so nobody get's misinformed.

Last edited by buckcr250r on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

buckcr250r wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
You could get a CMMG bargain bin M4 for $600 or a Double Star for $650

btw m4's are select fire and on average go for $14,000 not $600.

The CMMG Bargain Bin M4s are not military M4s, but what most collectors call "M4geries," which are semi-automatic only and have a 16" barrel. They're out of stock and therefore not listed right now, but when available, they can be found here: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

They tend to be built on DPMS lowers and have some cosmetic blemishes; they're not going to turn a lot of heads but they are, by all accounts, good shooters.

I believe military M4s cost Uncle Sam about $1,400 each, not $14,000. Was that a typo, or were you talking about a transferrable NFA M16? No M4 has ever been transferable, since they didn't enter service until after May 1986, after which date no new machineguns could be made and transferred to individuals. You could pay your fourteen grand for a Pre-May M16, and then dress it up like an M4, if you wanted to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 am 

transferable is what i'm talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 am 

buckcr250r wrote:

This is not the case at all. AR-15 parts can and do vary between manufacturers and very few companies actually make semi-auto AR-15's to the same spec as the Colt's or FN's the military uses. While it is more or less true that many parts (such as lower recievers and other lower parts) are mostly made by a few large companies I think most will agree that differences with uppers and upper parts will tend to vary greatly between manufactuers depending on materials and tolerances.

As far as the "whats an M4" debate goes, if you want to get techinical civilians cannot even purchase a true select-fire M4 since it didn't come into existance unil years after the 86' machine gun ban. M4 (or commonly M4gery in the civilian world) is just a generic name for ANY short AR-15 these days and the courts ruled in favor of it despite Colts attempt to patent it. This kinda goes in line with people who say the AR-15 is just a semi-auto version of the M-16 and that is not really true at all. The AR-15 is the Name of the weapon system (designated by Armalite) and the M-16 is the name the U.S. Military designated it. This is like the Beretta 92 is the name of the Pistol (designed by Beretta) but the Military calls it the M9. The fact of the matter is that there actually are civilan owned select-fire AR-15's in existance.

buckcr250r wrote:
they are considered mid level. some olympic arms have cast receivers others have mil spec forged receivers. if you get one with mil spec forged receivers then it is just as good as the guns they are using over sea's. the military issued ar's upper and lower receivers have 100% the exact same material, machining process, mil spec's, and finish..its the same if maintained properly you shoul be able to trust your life with.

So the lower reciever determines the overall quality of the rifle? I think pretty much everyone in the business (other than perhaps Olympic Arms) will disagree with you. The upper and parts will typically have a far greater impact on accuracy and reliablity of an AR type rifle. Also, Olympic AR-15's are not built to military specs, so saying that they do is just nonsense. Whether or not "mil-spec" will actually matter or not to most people is anyone's guess. But if the weapon is designed to be a serious self-defense weapon than it seems rather silly to limit yourself to an Olympic Arms if you do not have to just to save a few bucks. Regardless, any self-defense rifle needs to be put through the test before it shold be trusted with ANY lives so recommending otherwise is bad advise.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am 

buckcr250r wrote:
TDW586 wrote:

at least try to contribute instead of saying, "buckcr, not a single thing you said was correct" olympic arms come in either cast or forged mil spec. i already corrected myself about cross compatibility. civilian m4 cost around $14,000. a m4 is select fire.

your statement is completely wrong unless you can prove otherwise. please let me know what is wrong so nobody get's misinformed.

Well in my post I stated that even a simple firing pin retaining pin would not work in my AR. If a part as simple as that is out of spec IMHO most others would not work either. Look at some of the lower end bolt carriers that are very out of spec (weight, deminsions). Try and put a sub par LPK in a high end lower and you will see they dont work that good. All AR's are not created equal.

Sorry for any spelling errors...no google chrome at work makes me a sad panda :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:04 am 

This thread looks like it will be interesting....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 am 

What's all this talk of Olympic being the bottom of the AR barrel? That's simply not true.

They're far and away better than Hesse/Vulcan. In the same kind of way that the Vega was better than the Pinto :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:20 am 

directly on olympic arms website it says some of their receivers are mil spec. i never said a lower determins the quality. if i'm correct the military use mil spec rifles which olympic arms is. i'm just going by what manufacture says. if this conversation starts to get heated lets go to pm's but it shouldn't. nobody is attacking nobody here. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 am 

But what specs are they talking about. Could be just the finish is mil-spec thus while not the actual workings of the weapon but just the finish.

Hell .mil's specs for the accuracy of the M-16 are no more then 2 moa greater then the ammo. That being said thank goodness Colt and FN make them way better then 4 moa weapons. Most top tier AR's are sub MOA and most M-16's and M-4's are at most 2 MOA. Mil-spec is not all its cracked up to be after all.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=37

AR-15 Specifications
Receiver Material 7075 T6 Aluminum Forged Receivers Machined By Olympic Arms
Receiver Finish Black Matte Anodized Receivers, Parkerized Steel Parts
Action Gas Operated Semi-automatic Action
Upper Type A1 w/ ajustable windage only
Front Sight Elevation adjustable post w/ bayonet lug
Handguard Fiberite carbine length caps
Barrel 16", button rifled, 4140 chromemoly steel
Chambering 5.56 NATO
Bore Long-life non-chromed bore not mil spec
Twist Rate 1x9 not mil spec..
Muzzle A2 flash suppressor
Stock M4 fiberite, 6-point collapsible
Length 31.75"
Weight 6.61 lbs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Without reading the chit chat about the rep of the company, I have own an Olympic AR in 5.56 for about 5 years and I'm happy.

I bought it new for about 600 in 2006 as a plinker.
I have about 2000 rounds of the cheapest ammo through it and not a single FTF.
This rifle eats up Wolf and Silver bear likes its going out of stlye.
Accuarcy is decent, but certainly not match.
My only complaint is that the supplied handguards are so thin that after 20 rounds you can start feeling the heat.

Only thing I would say is buy it for about 550, plan on installing new handguards, and don't put yourself in a situation that your life may depend on it.

My 2 pennies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:53 am 

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=37

so far i found the lower to be mil spec. i'll see what else i can find. i'm just saying if a part is mil spec its not bottom of the barrel.

are parts kits mil spec or is it just the big stuff like the barrel, upper, lower...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:59 am 

buckcr250r, I think most people would say that if a gun company also makes airsoft guns, their quality is pretty low. Just look at GSG and UTG. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who thinks GSG's MP5 clones are worth buying as well as putting anything from UTG on a real gun (unless they are trying to make a budget range gun). The point is there are better choices out there for the OP at comprable prices.

Jvandenhaus wrote:
Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 pm 

Hell...

I was all set to RELEASE THE CHART only to discover that it has been removed. Anyway buckcr250r look up what actually goes into the manufacture of a Military AR type rifle and then compare it to an Olympic. Just because they say it's Mil-Spec doesn't mean it is.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
buckcr250r wrote:
TDW586 wrote:

So, in your mind, the only component that could possibly make a difference between milspec and non-milspec is the lower receiver being cast or forged? Interesting. So HPT of the barrel, MPI of the barrel and bolt, gas key staking, F-marked Milspec FSB, extractor spring and insert, AR15 or M16 BCG....none of that makes a difference? What about 1/7 barrel twist? What about chrome lining? Barrel steel type? Or you think Oly Arms uses milspec parts? Hint: they don't.

And the thing about M4 is at best a stupid fucking semantic point, everyone knew exactly what he meant except (apparently) you.

Long story short, you don't know what you're talking about, do some research.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next