Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:49 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just picked up my new RRA Elite Operator 2. First off, I hate the name, but for the money and quality, I can live with it.
The range report will come sometime during winter break:(

I did shoot one this summer. I was visiting an old Marine buddy who had just picked up the same model. I was super impressed! We quickly had a keyhole 36yd bzo and were plicking off empty 5.56 casings standing at 25yds. The 2 stage trigger is unbelievable for an out of the box rifle.

This is one of the models that RRA currently has on sale, and it is one hell of a deal.
Here's a quick list of features that are included:
-ergonomic pistol grip
-operator stock w/ battery storage
-choice of BUIS (mine has the Eotech dominator)
-fantastic "button" shaped safety selector (very smooth)
-winter trigger guard
-proprietary handguards w/ full length top rail and 1/2 length bottom and side rails (best of both worlds, IMO)
-folding front sight
-CQB style compensator
-2 stage match trigger
-chromed bolt and carrier
-2 mags

I installed:
-grip pod
-streamlight tlr-2s
-eotech xps2-0 (optics planet edition w/ side mounted controls and QD mount)
-eotech 4x magnifier w/ QD mount

First impressions:
Did I say the trigger was nice? Wow, I have never felt a trigger this crisp out of the box (especially for a rifle under $1k). The chromed bolt is another feature that I really like as well. The pistol grip is far better than the standard AR style, but my monkey hands could still use some more girth. The safety selector is another surprise feature that I really like. It allows for a very positive purchase and fluid transition from safe to fire. The buttstock is nice; locks up tight and has 2 QD swivel mounts. The swelling allows for a nice cheek weld and the battery storage is almost mandatory these days.

I really like the handguard. The machining is crisp and clean and both the streamlight and grip pod mount easily with no movement. There are 3 sling swivels, which seem a bit excessive. I'll probably remove the side ones and mount an HK style loop further back on the rail.

The eotech dominator BUIS is designed for use with an eotech without a 7mm riser, allowing for co-witnessing in the lower 1/3 of the window. I found that mounted on the handguard rail, the xps still allows for a co-witness and room for a magnifier. Regardless, I personally prefer having eotechs a little farther out anyway. The rifle can be order with different BUIS setups depending on whatever you want. The iron sights are typical military style with 2 apertures and windage/elevation adjustments.

The rifle came w/ 2 USGI style mags that drop free and seem to be of decent quality. I had to struggle to insert a mag with the full 30 rounds on a closed bolt, but this is nothing new. I also tried some of my old USGI mags, P-mags, and SIG mags which all fed and dropped free (I can't remember, but I think I was able to insert the P-mags on a closed bolt w/ 30 rounds).

here's the pics:

Get High Speed so Zombies can't catch ya! TAD, TAG, and Kifaru 4 sale! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104048

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm 

Nice blaster, looking forward to a range report.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 pm 

why were you shooting perfectly reloadable .223 cases when you could have been shooting at some worthless junk!? LOL :?

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:33 pm 

glad you like it man! RRA 2 stage triggers are awesome, I love mine too. Nice review :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:28 pm 

Tommy Tran wrote:
why were you shooting perfectly reloadable .223 cases when you could have been shooting at some worthless junk!? LOL :?

Not everyone reloads dude. Not to mention brass does wear out, maybe it was old brass. Maybe they were steel cases. Maybe they were shit-out of other worthless junk to shoot.

Edited to add: Nice rifle! Wish I could own one... :cry: I just need to finish my degree and move to either NZ or the States...

For now, I'll just have to make do with milsurps. Its a hard life :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:37 pm 

Angrypirate wrote:
Tommy Tran wrote:

Not everyone reloads dude. Not to mention brass does wear out, maybe it was old brass. Maybe they were steel cases. Maybe they were shit-out of other worthless junk to shoot.

Edited to add: Nice rifle! Wish I could own one... :cry: I just need to finish my degree and move to either NZ or the States...

For now, I'll just have to make do with milsurps. Its a hard life :D

Everyone should reload LOL! Relax was half making a joke about it!

ETA- you Aussies are screwed btw I couldnt live there! Good luck gettin out you'll love it in a free-ish land!

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:41 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Tommy Tran wrote:

The LOL made it clear that you were joking. It nice to see a sense of humor around here sometimes. Zombie survivalists can be waaaay to serious sometimes!

Get High Speed so Zombies can't catch ya! TAD, TAG, and Kifaru 4 sale! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104048

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:28 pm 

Looks pretty good . :D

How stable are those handguards ? Always been a little leery of mounting a RDS on the handguards myself .

Got a sling set-up picked out ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 pm 

Your optic is in the worst place it could be. The barrel nut is the area of the rifle that gets hottest and holds the most heat. You're running a real risk of cooking your Eotech.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

good point haji, the eotech is slightly ahead of the barrel nut and there is space between them. I'm not going to be burning thru mags doing NSR drills anyway, thanks for looking out though.

The handguards themselves are rock solid and free floating.

I have an emdom sling on the way (I have one on my SIG 556 classic right now that I fell in love with during my last deployment to Iraq) with a MI QD swivel for the buttstock and gear sector HK loop rail adaptor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:20 pm 

Tommy Tran wrote:

maybe they weren't 5.56 casings, maybe they were these:

JK but nice rifle. Awaiting the range report

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:20 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Richter wrote:
Tommy Tran wrote:

Ha! I did find a pile of those sometime ago in a sandy corner of hell. Glad I didn't shoot at them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am 

Except the gripod, that is an EXCELLENT looking firing arm!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 pm 

I too love the RRA 2-stage trigger. I'm jealous you got the chromed BCG. I was supposed to, but RRA was taking too damn long assembling my rifle, so I purchased something similar that the store already had. I got the same stock you did, and it is nice.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 am 

That is an awesome gun! If I was into D/I rifles and wanted an AR, that would be the exact model I'd buy. I have looked at them in the catalog and in my local gunshop many, many times.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:53 pm 

How about we throw "Top Tier" into that name :roll:

looks good btw.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

gelgoog wrote:
How about we throw "Top Tier" into that name :roll:

looks good btw.

Ha! I was thinking Special Forces Black Ops Elite Top Tier 1 Operator.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:12 pm 

Hey omega_man I'm looking to order either the RRA Elite Operator 2 or Entry Operator 2. Can you tell me what the real weight is on yours without accessories ? I know the site list 8 pounds for all the “Operator 2’s “but that can’t be dead on. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:02 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Brisk0730M3ER wrote:
Hey omega_man I'm looking to order either the RRA Elite Operator 2 or Entry Operator 2. Can you tell me what the real weight is on yours without accessories ? I know the site list 8 pounds for all the “Operator 2’s “but that can’t be dead on. Thanks.

It's every bit 8 lbs, if not more. The best I can do is stand on scale with/ without carbine and it's just shy of 9 lbs w/ eotech. I've been very happy with it, though, now I'm starting to do my own builds and will probably relegate this beast to a DMR/SPR role. I've had no issues with reliabiltiy or accuracy; but, it's heavy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Brisk0730M3ER wrote:

Thanks for reviving a near year old thread, good going buddy.
Welcome to ZS.
And yeah, RRA rifles run heavy. My Mid A4 is at the 8lb mark bare bones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 am 

Yeah, please have some respect for the large percentage of people here who have that obscure type of lymphoma that causes exposure to older thread make their genitals shrivel up. It's a serious medical condition, otherwise we'd applaud you for using the search engine and getting the answer you needed.

But no. It's far more important that we berate you for doing something that didn't actually inconvenience anyone.

.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:02 pm 

Thanks everyone for the answer. Sorry if I irritated some of your genitals :gonk: I’ve been looking for a good forum to join and I think ZS is the place. as impatient as I got I called RRA and talked to the tech there and he informed me the "Elite" is the heaviest of the operators by maybe five ounces and the "entry" is the lightest by a few ounces. He didn’t give me exact weight but they are all right about 8 pounds so 9 pounds with the EOtech sounds about dead on. Appreciate the input. I think am still going to go with the Elite as it has the Mid length gas system and the all the other good features you talked about. For the price I think it’s going to be an awesome rifle.If you have any other input on a good AR for the money I would love to hear about it. This will be my second AR, the first one I got is a Bushmaster, it is barebones and very lightweight and I plan to keep it that way. But since I got my first AR I seem to have a serious problem, I am addicted :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:54 am 

Richter wrote:
Tommy Tran wrote:

RAAMS are a bit overkill for almost any situation..... I'm an artillery guy and Remote Anti Armor Mine Systems are rarely used anymore..... Too bad because they are freaking sweet!!!!

And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 pm 

just bought mine today pick it up tomorrow .....cant wait... it sure is oily tho i am new to buying 223 but they have this thing called the gat pack which is 600 rounds which 40 are tracers for 149.00 that's great i think...btw long time reader first time poster