Rossi Trifecta

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

manowar1313

Rossi Trifecta

Post by manowar1313 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey guys,
I've been looking at the Trifecta for a while, having a .22, .243 and 20ga makes me think this would be an excellent car gun/backpacking rifle. The down sides are it only comes in youth size and inaccuracy.

So does anyone have experience with them? Other suggestions and recommendations? Does anyone know if you can swap out the stock or get it in a full size?
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

woodsghost

Re: Rossi Trifecta

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Youth sized guns are not bad. The fit and feel are different, obviously. They are more compact, easier to stash, transport, and maneuver. Just something to consider.

Good luck figuring out if those are the right weapons for ya!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40 pm

To me, the idea of packing around 2 extra barrels for backpacking is a bit much. As a car gun, it depends entirely on what you feel your needs are.

They by no means reinvented the wheel. There are have plenty of other modular rifle systems out there for a long time. The Thompson Contender being the most iconic, but I don't believe the Contender has the shotgun option interchangeable with the rifle.

The Handi-rifle also has barrels that can be changed, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Apparently not every barrel is compatible with every frame. I'm sure someone who's actually used one can comment. They are quite affordable though.

There also exist a number of combo guns, that are usually a small caliber rifle (usually .22lr) barrel sittingunder a shotgun. The M6 scout was a .22lr barrel on top of a .410, this has been discontinued for awhile though. Remington also had one for awhile, but they discontinued it as well.

Savage currently has a .410/.22lr or .22wmr gun for sale, so does Chiappa, and Rossi in fact.

More popular nowadays for the "versatile survivalist" crowd is 12 gauge conversion systems. I know Chiappa does it, and they call it their "x-caliber" system, they also sell it as a set along with a .22lr/12 gauge over and under gun. Shotgunadaptors.com has adaptors as well. Both are essentially a small sleeve that fits into a break open shotgun to allow it to fire certain cartridges.

However, most of the conversions are for pistol calibers, ranging from .22lr to 44mag. I keep hearing talks of rifle caliber conversions, but have not seen any for sale. But you must remember that the insert itself is only 6-8" long equivalence of barrel, so it seems a bit of a waste to be using a rifle round.

In my opinion, the .243 rifle barrel seems a little unnecessary. But that is if you plan on sticking to using open sights on it. I feel like any ethical shot taken with open sights on game, is probably within slug range, which makes the .243 a bit moot.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 am

I've been hearing that for 2015, Savage is going to bring out the model 42 in a .223/12g combo. I'm being patient :)

Edit:
I own the Rossi .22LR and .410 shotty 2 barrel kit. It's cached :)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 am

Remington's combo gun had available chambers in 22lr/.410, .22wmr/.410, .223/12gauge, .308/12 gauge and even .30-06/12 gauge. Too bad they discontinued it. Might be able to find one on the secondary market though.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 am

manowar1313 wrote:Hey guys,
The down sides are it only comes in youth size and inaccuracy.
I just realized you said accuracy would suffer with a youth sized gun. Honestly, almost any gun will shoot better than the person holding it. But even if you are an Olympic level small bore rifle shooter, the interesting fact is that accuracy has more to do with the action and receiver than, say, a 16 inch barrel. A rigid action with a short barrel produces better groups than a loose action with a long barrel. It is why we see modern bolt guns with receivers that resemble huge thick tubes with a tiny slot for rounds to eject.

Sight radius is important for iron sights, and that is a good reason to own a long barreled gun. But then, you already own a Mosin.

Now, I don't know how robust or rigid the Rossi action is, but I'll say again the combo will outshoot most shooters who have one in their hands. Again, most guns are more accurate than their shooters.

Lastly, as I said before, I"ll say again, a youth gun is a great option for actually carrying around. But everyone makes their own decisions.

Here are some threads on other forums talking about the Rossi:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=88597

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330810

You can add those to what people say here. There are also reviews and probably other threads out there if you google Rossi Trifecta.
Sworbeyegib wrote:
The Handi-rifle also has barrels that can be changed, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Apparently not every barrel is compatible with every frame. I'm sure someone who's actually used one can comment. They are quite affordable though.
The H&R/NEF rifle receivers can accept shotgun and pistol caliber barrels. The shotgun receivers should only be used with shotgun and pistol caliber barrels. Not certain, but I strongly suspect pistol caliber receivers should only be used with shotgun and other pistol caliber barrels. They only make 2 strengths of receiver, and there are easy ways to identify which receiver you have. Which I don't remember, so someone else can look that up if interested :D

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

http://eaacorp.com/side-by-side-rifle-barrel-inserts/

From what I understand these fit the Bounty hunter side by side shotguns.

From the online pics I can find and the scant information I can find on them they MIGHT just be able to be fitted to any 20 inch 12gauge 2.75 chambered shotgun.

The extractor shouldn't be a problem. It looks like it would fit most if not all extractors.

From what I understand Baikal uses the Remington choke system and threads so any shotgun with those threads should be fine.

The only real problem I see is that these inserts might be built exclusively for double rifle use. Basically turning a double shoot gun into a double rifle. The front of the insert is held into the front of the barrel by an eccentric adapter so you can regulate both barrels to hit the same point of aim ay a given distance.
My guess is that a local machinist could copy the eccentric bushing and make a new one that centers the insert into the barrel perfectly. Thus you could use it in a single barrel or over under shotgun.

In fact you might not even need a screw in choke system after a new front adapter is made.

Turn that old under 100 dollar single shotgun into a single shot .308 or .223 for a little under 200 bucks.
For those who can only have one firearm this could be a nice option.

Then again it might be cheaper to find an old H&R/NEF single with a second barrel.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:04 am

MacAttack wrote:http://eaacorp.com/side-by-side-rifle-barrel-inserts/

From what I understand these fit the Bounty hunter side by side shotguns.

From the online pics I can find and the scant information I can find on them they MIGHT just be able to be fitted to any 20 inch 12gauge 2.75 chambered shotgun.

The extractor shouldn't be a problem. It looks like it would fit most if not all extractors.

From what I understand Baikal uses the Remington choke system and threads so any shotgun with those threads should be fine.

The only real problem I see is that these inserts might be built exclusively for double rifle use. Basically turning a double shoot gun into a double rifle. The front of the insert is held into the front of the barrel by an eccentric adapter so you can regulate both barrels to hit the same point of aim ay a given distance.
My guess is that a local machinist could copy the eccentric bushing and make a new one that centers the insert into the barrel perfectly. Thus you could use it in a single barrel or over under shotgun.

In fact you might not even need a screw in choke system after a new front adapter is made.

Turn that old under 100 dollar single shotgun into a single shot .308 or .223 for a little under 200 bucks.

Then again it might be cheaper to find an old H&R/NEF single with a second barrel.
Screw the combo gun. Double rifle in .45/70!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:49 am

MacAttack wrote: Turn that old under 100 dollar single shotgun into a single shot .308 or .223 for a little under 200 bucks.

As I mentioned above, H&R/NEF says some of their receivers/actions are made to take rifle pressures, some are not. I expect this is true of most any single shot platform, and you might want to check with the maker before throwing one of those in a weapon.

Just my $.02. I"d hate to hear the pressure got too great and separated the barrel from the rest of the action and maybe spewed brass, hot gasses, and who knows what else in the user's face.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:17 am

My wife bought a trifecta a few years ago.

The.22lr was plenty accurate.
The .243 was about 2 MOA with a scope. I'm positive that could be improved drastically with some trigger work.
Both had fiber optic sights. The scope stays attached to the barrel so you dont have to rezero when you switch barrels.
The 20ga was probably the most brutally recoiling firearm I've ever shot. Its loud too. I would not give that to a child and expect them to fall in love with the sport of shotgunning.

The .243 took two whitetail (80yds and 150yds) and was an awesome little rifle to carry around all day due to its extreme lightweight and short overall length. With trigger work it could be useful out to 300yds. Cruising around and run into some coyotes on the ranch? .243 will do the job. Go hunting and drrop your rifle or the riflemalfunctions? Go grab the Rossi from behind the seat and carry on.

We took the gun on a backpacking trip a few years ago with the.22 barrel attached and the .243 barrel stowed. Took a few squirrel with the .22. At night the .243 barrel went on for "bumps in the night" and could conceivably augment the sidearms against a predator (lion, people).

It seemed to be a rust attractant.

I think the trifecta is a great truck gun...especially if you want something extremely flexible and compact. It is in the same realm as a compact telescoping fishing rod to me. Sure you are not going to enter a bassmasters tournament with it, but if you're cruising down the interstate and see a nice pond, you can jump out and try your luck.

She got hers on sale at Dicks for $219 in 2009.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Not getting why you'd want to lug around extra barrels for Back packer,..

Try a CVA Compact single from Academy and you won't need to do any trigger work. They're kind of super neet-o for $200. If a bear sits on it and breaks it,.. so what. It was $200.

And a youth sized gun can be as accurate as anything.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:11 pm

I would love one. If things go deep,the combo would be a great addition for a light weight food getting rifle.The way I see it,I would start the day with my AR /aka in hand doing a security sweep/over watch.As I come back in to camp/ base I would hunt game. The combination of calibers would let be gather most game in my location. It would not replace a dedicated hunting rifle / shotgun.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:Savage currently has a .410/.22lr or .22wmr gun for sale, so does Chiappa, and Rossi in fact.
I've looked at these before but honestly at $450 costs more then buying a good 410 and a .22.
brothaman wrote:Not getting why you'd want to lug around extra barrels for Back packer,..

Try a CVA Compact single from Academy and you won't need to do any trigger work. They're kind of super neet-o for $200. If a bear sits on it and breaks it,.. so what. It was $200.

And a youth sized gun can be as accurate as anything.
It's not that I would necessarily always bring all the barrels with me, I would take a single shot like this because they're pretty much unbreakable and maintenance free. The barrels though are better than bringing multiple guns and offers a flexibility in ammunition. Also the mentioned pricing issues of the M6 and Model 42, for a little more than a 20 ga single and half the cost of a combo gun.

About the accuracy that's just what I've read, never shot so don't know it to be true.

I'll look at the CVA but at about the same price point I'd take the 3rd barrel too.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 pm

manowar1313 wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:Savage currently has a .410/.22lr or .22wmr gun for sale, so does Chiappa, and Rossi in fact.
I've looked at these before but honestly at $450 costs more then buying a good 410 and a .22.
I usually see the Rossi Trifecta going for over $300 new. For that price you could get two decent inexpensive firearms. If you took your time and did a lot of searching, you could probably even get three. If you're storing them in a vehicle I doubt two or three firearms will take up much more space than one. I think there would also be an advantage to having multiple firearms. The single-shot design is simple and reliable, but it's not as though other types of action aren't reliable enough. If something happens to the receiver of the Trifecta (broken, lost, stolen, confiscated, ect.) the other barrels won't work. If you have multiple firearms and something happens to one it won't necessarily happen to all of them. Also, a bolt-action, pump-action or semi-auto might be more suitable for certain roles.

I'm not trying to bash the Rossi Trifecta. I bought one as a gift for my cousin. I think that from a purely practical standpoint I would have been better off getting him a couple firearms, but the Rossi Trifecta is fucking cool. (Also I got a good deal on it at a gun show.) I had a hard time giving it up, I wanted to keep it for myself and make up a sweet suitcase with foam cutouts for the barrels and receiver. I really like single shot firearms.

The .243 and 20 gauge barrels are relatively light, as one would expect from a single shot. If you haven't handled it yet, the .22 lr barrel is actually heavier than you might expect. They use a lot of steel to make it match up with the breach face.

The .243 and .22 lr barrels have nice fiber optic sights.

It is a youth model, but I'm 6'1" and I didn't have any trouble shooting it. I could even shoot clays with the 20 gauge barrel without removing the cheek rest. My cousin is 6'7" and he can shoot the rifle barrels without much trouble. He can't use the bead sight on the shotgun barrel. I suggested that he try removing the cheek rest, but I don't think he's had a chance to try it yet.

On a side note, NEF/H&R has a program where they will fit barrels to a receiver. That way if something happened to your existing receiver your other barrels could be fitted to a new one. You can also add new barrels to your existing receiver. I'm not sure if Rossi will do the same. You could probably get a gunsmith to do the fitting for you, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Just to repeat some of what was said. Single shot guns are not bomb proof. They do break. They do wear out. And at least with the H&R/NEFs, they can be a pain to try and fix. You have a receiver that is basically an enclosed steel case with some pins running through it to attach parts to. That thing is a pain to work in if something breaks. Trust me. I have no idea if the Rossies are the same or not. Youtube vids should tell you what you need to know.

One of the H&Rs I bought had issues with it. I figured out how to fix it (lot of research) and saved myself some money, but earned some headache. Today it works great, but I know those guns can go down.

You compare that to an AK where you have all this room in the receiver to work and do what you need to do, or most bolt actions where you can separate the receiver, trigger group, barrel, and everything from the stock, and then work on whatever issue there is. It is like cars, I"m learning. Actually, I know way more about guns than cars, but I'm learning that some car engines are easy to work on with all this ELBOW room (seriously!), and some are rat bastards when you are trying to fit tools and fingers and stuff in there.

So don't buy a single shot because you think it will never break. Learn about how to work on it and whether it is a PITA to mess with or not.

Just my thoughts.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:06 pm

woodsghost wrote:Just to repeat some of what was said. Single shot guns are not bomb proof. They do break. They do wear out. And at least with the H&R/NEFs, they can be a pain to try and fix. You have a receiver that is basically an enclosed steel case with some pins running through it to attach parts to. That thing is a pain to work in if something breaks. Trust me. I have no idea if the Rossies are the same or not. Youtube vids should tell you what you need to know.
The single shot has less moving parts AKA while it can still break there's less to break. I think all guns can be a PITA to work on but it's an inclosed so also less to clean (when most things break).

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:15 pm

I think the system definitely had its merits if it checks the boxes that you need. If you get a good deal, I think it's worth getting. For camp/back pack use, youth guns are very handy.

Sure.... It might not be perfect in every field, but it is definitely a fair compromise
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:44 pm

manowar1313 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:Just to repeat some of what was said. Single shot guns are not bomb proof. They do break. They do wear out. And at least with the H&R/NEFs, they can be a pain to try and fix. You have a receiver that is basically an enclosed steel case with some pins running through it to attach parts to. That thing is a pain to work in if something breaks. Trust me. I have no idea if the Rossies are the same or not. Youtube vids should tell you what you need to know.
The single shot has less moving parts AKA while it can still break there's less to break. I think all guns can be a PITA to work on but it's an inclosed so also less to clean (when most things break).
It has not been my experience that things break while cleaning, but I'm sure it happens often enough. I have lost things while cleaning though.

Without digging around in the gun myself, I honestly can't say what I think of it's robustness. My point is simply that single shots are not bomb proof and easy access to the internals is nice and makes repair and maintenance easier.

What will ensure it is less likely to break is more robust parts. The number of parts is less important than the robustness of those parts.

But at this point, I might be splitting hairs. I'm making a point about weapons in general. The people who actually own and use the Rossi like it and it has worked well for them. So it sounds like you are making a great choice if you purchase this system.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:15 am

woodsghost wrote:
manowar1313 wrote:
It has not been my experience that things break while cleaning, but I'm sure it happens often enough. I have lost things while cleaning though.

Without digging around in the gun myself, I honestly can't say what I think of it's robustness. My point is simply that single shots are not bomb proof and easy access to the internals is nice and makes repair and maintenance easier.

What will ensure it is less likely to break is more robust parts. The number of parts is less important than the robustness of those parts.

But at this point, I might be splitting hairs. I'm making a point about weapons in general. The people who actually own and use the Rossi like it and it has worked well for them. So it sounds like you are making a great choice if you purchase this system.
Thanks for the $.02, I'm going to check out a few of them that are on armslist for $200ish. I think since it's a youth gun a lot of people buy it for their kids and then sell to upgrade.

Also I've had a few guns that people "Cleaned" broken. I once bought a model 60 for $30 bucks because someone had armory stripped it, then put the ejectors on backwards so it was ejecting the shells into the gun. One of my SA someone "Cleaned" and wrenched the bolt spring on upside down. Generally for gun repair all it takes is patients, tools and an hour to kill watching youtube vids.

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:41 pm

My buddy has the Rossi youth combo .22/.410 and it's a lot of fun. He put some sand in the hollow stock to give it a little more recoil absorption, and got a tool to bore out the breech so it'll fire .22WMR. Worked like a charm, and it's a fun little gun to shoot.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 am

nyarlotep wrote:My buddy has the Rossi youth combo .22/.410 and it's a lot of fun. He put some sand in the hollow stock to give it a little more recoil absorption, and got a tool to bore out the breech so it'll fire .22WMR. Worked like a charm, and it's a fun little gun to shoot.
Do you remember where you got the tool from and how much it cost?

osagemarine

Post by osagemarine » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Brownell's has the MWR reamers. I did a handi rifle a few years back, just be sure to remove the extracter before you do it (if you want to still fire LR),

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”