Modify or leave it?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

Modify or leave it?

Post by Slugg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 pm

I have this Stevens 311r in 12g SxS. It's beat up from the last owner on the metal with a decent amount of rust. The stock is reall nice, with a very light finish and no obvious marks that I can see. It locks up great and functions flawlessly. I'm just on the fence about what I want to do with it. Current barrel length is 18.25" which is what it came out the factory as.

Option A : Cut the stock down to make it 28" overal length, duracoat the metals and make it a survival pack rifle with a small kit for it. Make a new rubber pad with some vibration reducing rubbers.

Option B: Leave the stock how it is, duracoat the metal and just make it look nicer overall.

Option C: It's over 50 years old, leave it how it was intended to look.

Here's some pictures of it now.

The future is for those who prepare.

jackson51
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM!

Re: Modify or leave it?

Post by jackson51 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Do what makes you happy. Might be fun to chop down the stock, but it's entirely up to you. I don't see any reason not to modify it...it's not like it's a pristine example of a rare firearm or anything.
Giacomo wrote:Ya right, everyone knows that's just an urban legend. Like the easter fairy, tooth bunny and Norway.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:58 pm

jackson51 wrote:Do what makes you happy. Might be fun to chop down the stock, but it's entirely up to you. I don't see any reason not to modify it...it's not like it's a pristine example of a rare firearm or anything.
I'm with Jackson on this one. It's not like you have a collectors item and are gonna mess up the value by modding it. Do what makes ya happy. I wish I had it. :D
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 pm

I would go with B.

I have a SxS that I rather like myself. They are fun. No reason not to clean it up. Besides if things go sideways, anyone can figure out how to use that bad boy with little training. They are also just fun.

I would not cut down the stock though. Personally I think its nice to have that full length of pull for shooting it semi accurately, or just to get more stock up against your side if you hip shoot it.

Dahrkstorm

Post by Dahrkstorm » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I vote for #2 also, but it wouldn't hurt to put a pad on it either. I am going to cut my Baikal SxS down to 18 1/4", shorten the stock by 2" and add a recoil pad to adjust the trigger pull length, and plan on CeraKoting it in the future. I am also going to refinish the wood and have a custom leather recoil/cheek pad made.
Last edited by Dahrkstorm on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am me. Semper Fi

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 pm

I'd leave it as it is or maybe add a recoil pad, but you wouldn't be wrong to chop it if that's what you want.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm currently thinking of going with option B for a few reasons. For the duracoat, I'm thinking just black. I like how the wood is lighter and the difference in tones of wood vs metal.
The future is for those who prepare.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:21 am

I have got an old Rossi Overland that has been in the family for a while now. Was my first shotgun.

To be honest, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Little SxSs like that are fun, though they kick like the dickens.

I would go with option B. A SxS is one of the simplest firearms to learn to manipulate, and just plain look bad ass. I have been thinking of getting mine redone with a flat silver coat of some sort.
Yoda for President

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 am

I have a very similar Stevens S/S in 20 gauge that is my go to bird gun. If you are going to do any hunting, leave the stock the way it is. S/S are barrel heavy anyway and reducing the stock might seriously reduce your ability to hit anything not in the same room with you.
Add my vote to the blonde/black combo; I've got two old bolt-action springfields (matching 22 and .410) like that and they are eye catching.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm

If I wanted it to be a survival rifle, I'd chop the stock down to a birdshead grip and fabricate a wire-frame folding stock.

I'd then pick up two 12ga conversions (not the short ones, the ones that are decent length that slide down the barrel). Probably .22lr and .308Win. Slide them down the barrels for storage, and pack the gun away with some ammo.

And call it done.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:05 am

HellSpork wrote:If I wanted it to be a survival rifle, I'd chop the stock down to a birdshead grip and fabricate a wire-frame folding stock.

I'd then pick up two 12ga conversions (not the short ones, the ones that are decent length that slide down the barrel). Probably .22lr and .308Win. Slide them down the barrels for storage, and pack the gun away with some ammo.

And call it done.
I'm not sold on a makeshift folding stock, but barrel inserts are game changers in a survival based shotgun. Why .308 though? You're still only going to have a bead sight, so you can't really take advantage of such a long range round. Slugs will take anything that .308 will if you do your part, so long as the choke isn't too tight. If the choke is too tight to safely shoot slugs, then yes, I could understand the desire for a rifle caliber insert.

Nothing wrong with duracoating the metal though, makes for a more wear resistant piece for bushwhacking.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 am

leave it like it is clean it up and get a shot gun shell hold for the stock

.http://www.muddcreek.com/products/Mossy ... 7AodTAIAIQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Option D?
:twisted:

Fake edit: Does Michigan play nice with NFA firearms? That could rule this right out, I suppose. Go with what would be most fun to shoot, would be my serious answer. :)
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:16 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:Option D?
:twisted:
But damn it you put it that way......HHHHHellll Yessssss!!!!!!!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 am

Shorten stock to make 28" OAL with an added a Limbsaver, get it cut for chokes, Hydro dip mulitcam all over. Fucking. Boss.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”