eye sight and optics issues

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

eeb

Re: eye sight and optics issues

Post by eeb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Shooting lefty is the "right" way to do it, I'd practice holding and aiming an unloaded gun whenever you have the time. Ambi safety for sure, IMO.

Being the contrarian that I am, I'd also set up a range toy rifle with an offset scope to shoot right hand left eye.;)

Hmm, maybe the rest of us should practice operating on the weak side, to be ready in case of injury during that shtf scenario or age or disease related degeneration
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:58 pm

One thing that I'd like to mention that even a normal AR is pretty lefty-friendly. Even shooting southpaw, I can still operate the safety with my thumb, and if I adjust my grip ever so slightly it's very easy to get to the bolt release with the index finger.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Are you in your late 30's or older?

How are you with reading small print?

I always needed glasses to see far away. I think I got my first pair of glasses in 3rd grade. my eyesight was not horrible, but I needed glasses to read the chalkboard, or to read signs for driving. Still, as long as I was wearing glasses or contacts I was still a good shot with a rifle or a handgun. That changed when I hit around 41 year old. I started having problems reading small print on labels and such. The worst part was when shooting I was having problems focusing on my sight picture with irons, or seeing down a scope.

Talked to my eye doc, and he said that at about 40 years old some people, while totally settled in prescription glasses to see far away, may start lose near sight or the ability to focus in on close objects. Pretty much if I'm wearing glasses, to drive or see far away, I have to take them off to read close print. If I'm wearing contacts, I have reading glasses so that I can read small print. However I can't do any of that while shooting, but their are tricks that can help, like getting big bright iron sights, and using your Peripheral vision, and just plan practice.

Get your eyes checked out, and see what the doc says.

Like the song goes, "What a drag it is getting old."
about the only thing i can read now days are books and my computer/work screen. distance is shot and driving is not possible
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:01 am

So what's your maximum effective range?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:16 am

[quote="Chris@MTCT"]So what's your maximum effective range?

Looking at the first page I'd say 35 meters. At least that's where he's confident of his ability to get effective hits.

Slick , can you see clearly through a magnified scope?
Are you currently dealing with a qualified eye doctor? Like consulting a physician before starting an excersize regimen, you should probably talk to a qualified professional before introducing a lot of new stresses to your eyes.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 am

every time i go to the doctor it has gotten worse so they always strengthen my one good eye which is my left as i mostly see through my left as it is. i can see clear through a scope, red dots are starbursts at times but can see. im due to get new oakleys since i can get wraps now i believe so more protection is good
crypto wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
FTFY
FTFY.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Sorry maybe I'm just an ass hole but if you can't Id something past 35 then your wasting a lot of money on a rifle.

sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I can see fine, and I've wasted plenty of money on rifles.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 pm

eeb wrote:I can see fine, and I've wasted plenty of money on rifles.

Which is your choice to do so.

Pimp is new to this game and IMHO shouldn't be wasting his money on a rifle when he can't see past 35 yards.

Unless he just zeros the irons for seven and calls it a day I don't see how he wouldn't be better severed with another choice.

I have zeroed quite a few new recruits and anytime it was an eye issue it was a pretty simple fix of sending them to the eye doc and then back out to the range once it was fixed.

If my eyes were that bad I would be doing everything in my power to get them fixed and not be worrying about a rifle.

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Chris@MTCT wrote:
eeb wrote:I can see fine, and I've wasted plenty of money on rifles.

Which is your choice to do so.

Pimp is new to this game and IMHO shouldn't be wasting his money on a rifle when he can't see past 35 yards.

Unless he just zeros the irons for seven and calls it a day I don't see how he wouldn't be better severed with another choice.

I have zeroed quite a few new recruits and anytime it was an eye issue it was a pretty simple fix of sending them to the eye doc and then back out to the range once it was fixed.

If my eyes were that bad I would be doing everything in my power to get them fixed and not be worrying about a rifle.

Not to be a dick, but what if you can't get your eyesight fixed? My optic nerves (moreso the right eye than the left) are pretty well screwed up, and glasses or surgery doesn't help that. So I shouldn't get a rifle because I have trouble seeing past 50 yards?

Tactical furry.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 am

Ok since I have been baited in on this once might as well go for a second.

If I could only see to 50 yards I would not own a rifle.

That's my personal view and as that I don't expect anyone else but me to follow my advice on that.

Disclaimer: I do wear corrective lenses and I have shot with out them to know what my limits are.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 am

Mikeyboy wrote:Are you in your late 30's or older?

How are you with reading small print?

I always needed glasses to see far away. I think I got my first pair of glasses in 3rd grade. my eyesight was not horrible, but I needed glasses to read the chalkboard, or to read signs for driving. Still, as long as I was wearing glasses or contacts I was still a good shot with a rifle or a handgun. That changed when I hit around 41 year old. I started having problems reading small print on labels and such. The worst part was when shooting I was having problems focusing on my sight picture with irons, or seeing down a scope.

Talked to my eye doc, and he said that at about 40 years old some people, while totally settled in prescription glasses to see far away, may start lose near sight or the ability to focus in on close objects. Pretty much if I'm wearing glasses, to drive or see far away, I have to take them off to read close print. If I'm wearing contacts, I have reading glasses so that I can read small print. However I can't do any of that while shooting, but their are tricks that can help, like getting big bright iron sights, and using your Peripheral vision, and just plan practice.

Get your eyes checked out, and see what the doc says.

Like the song goes, "What a drag it is getting old."

about the only thing i can read now days are books and my computer/work screen. distance is shot and driving is not possible
OK, now eyesight and gun sights are all subjective, but here are a few things that helped me.

Your rear sights need to be as far back as possible on your rifles. Shooting something like a 10/22 or a Marlin 336 with the factor standard "V" notch that is beyond the action on the barrel, is kind of tough for me these days. I can still hit with them, but I'm pretty much lining up the blurs and being lucky. The good news you can get peep sights from Skinner, XS, and Tech sights. Having that peep sight above the receiver near your eye helps a lot. The only PITA is the aperture can't be too small.

Big bright sights, especially the front sight helps a lot too. I got the XS big dot front sight post for my AR and that helps. Also when buying new handguns, you need to pay attention to the sights. Small sights, or small dots will be harder to focus on. On you current guns if you cannot switch out the sights try panting the front sight. I know its ghetto but it works.

Talk to your eye doc. I straight up told my doc that I'm having problems seeing while shooting. Even though he is not a gun owner, he gave me a few things to try out. So far none of them have worked 100%, but with experimenting things have improved a lot. With rifle optics I took his advice and after playing around at the range with some cheap reading glass with my contacts on, I figured out the right strength to see down a scope with my dominate eye. Even though my health care plan will not cover it, my eye doc is willing to make me a pair of "scope shooting" glasses where my left eye is just no script glass, and my dominate eye has that script that we figured out,in a pair of prescription sports/safety glasses. Unfortunately at $250, I told him to skip it for now. I rather save the money, and look like a dork with my $10 CVS reading under my clear XL shooting glasses.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:56 am

My B-in-law lost his right eye. He shoots righty and a gunsmith mounted an off-set scope that allows him to use his left eye to sight

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:08 am

After reading this thread I went back and reviewed my ability to shoot support side and perform manipulations. While using a red dot I can easily run them both eyes open. Then I did some with a 4x scope, not as fast but not unpossible. Then, I hit up the irons, yupe, not as fast as the red dot but still within the realm "ain't hard."

Here's a Slovanian doing it up.

Nothing wrong with a 12ga at 50m.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:08 am

Chris@MTCT wrote:Ok since I have been baited in on this once might as well go for a second.

If I could only see to 50 yards I would not own a rifle.

That's my personal view and as that I don't expect anyone else but me to follow my advice on that.

Disclaimer: I do wear corrective lenses and I have shot with out them to know what my limits are.

Terminal ballistics. As has been pointed out numerous times in the firearms section, no handgun is as reliable as a rifle in stopping an attacker.

A handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you foolishly left behind, right?

Also, "Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always".

Inside of 35 meters he'd get the same superior ballistics the rest of us get. Engaging beyond 35m might not be in the cards for him, but inside that range why should he discount a rifle with better terminal ballistics?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Chris@MTCT

eye sight and optics issues

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 am

I never said pistol.

With someone who posted they have difficulty shooting a rifle at 35 I would not recommend a pistol either.

Sent from my iphone using Tapata

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 am

Yeah, if your vision is so bad you can only see 35 yards I'd suggest you could never be sure of your target and what's behind it. If you can't follow the rules of firearm safety you shouldn't be shooting.

If your vision isn't actually that bad, then I still say lefty is the way to go. It's not that hard. A couple years ago I attended a tactical class and we ran every drill twice, once right handed and once left handed. 40% of the shots taken that day were with a person's off hand. We were all getting pretty good by the end, all it took was repeated practice. It felt weird as hell at first, but the AR works great as a rifle than can be shot from either shoulder.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:43 am

i can see enough to know whats on the other end and id a target if that ever happens. hoping to do some shooting with a member from here and we will get to the bottom of it!
crypto wrote:
FTFY
FTFY.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:41 am

Let's clear up what your vision problems really are first...

I recall from chat that you are nearsighted, not too bad if I remember (-2.00 diopter?) If that's all, corrective lenses should do a decent job. I'd suggest trying contacts if you use glasses currently.

If there are other problems? People that have had astigmatism and suddenly go to corrective lenses can have trouble because it makes things look weird until your brain gets used to it, but it will.

My brother is very nearsighted and has extra holes in the iris of his right eye that let in light and make it hard to focus. Prescription sunglasses with side shades help him a lot...

I'd definitely talk to your eye doc about your problems and see what he can do about them....

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 pm

PistolPete wrote:This is easy- if you can't use your right eye for whatever reason, learn to shoot your rifle left handed. No, it's not easy. But practice enough and it'll feel natural. That's the only good option here.

Lots of good shooters manage to shoot left handed and you can too.
This.

It's what I suggested in the last thread, and it's what I"ll suggest here.

Do it right, bite the bullet, and train yourself left handed. It'll come natural before too long. You don't need a fully ambidextrous AR to operate it successfully left handed, although there are more than enough upgrade options that accomplish it

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
PistolPete wrote:This is easy- if you can't use your right eye for whatever reason, learn to shoot your rifle left handed. No, it's not easy. But practice enough and it'll feel natural. That's the only good option here.

Lots of good shooters manage to shoot left handed and you can too.
This.

It's what I suggested in the last thread, and it's what I"ll suggest here.

Do it right, bite the bullet, and train yourself left handed. It'll come natural before too long. You don't need a fully ambidextrous AR to operate it successfully left handed, although there are more than enough upgrade options that accomplish it
Absolutely. And Crypto said it back on page 1, you don't need all the doo-dads to make it ambidextrous. The ambi safety is a really nice addition, though. :)
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Without the ambi safety, you have to unhook your firing hand from the grip, and move your hand to the outside of the weapon to hit the safety with your thumb. It is a real pain in the dick and will slow you down. The ambi safety is absolutely worth it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:16 pm

crypto wrote:Without the ambi safety, you have to unhook your firing hand from the grip, and move your hand to the outside of the weapon to hit the safety with your thumb. It is a real pain in the dick and will slow you down. The ambi safety is absolutely worth it.
Is there any disadvantage besides having to take your finger off fire control in operating the safety with your index finger?

Tactical furry.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm

crypto wrote:Without the ambi safety, you have to unhook your firing hand from the grip, and move your hand to the outside of the weapon to hit the safety with your thumb. It is a real pain in the dick and will slow you down. The ambi safety is absolutely worth it.
Yeah, I'm glad I finally upgraded. One of those "I don't know how I lived without it" things. :)
Shiloh wrote:Is there any disadvantage besides having to take your finger off fire control in operating the safety with your index finger?
That seems impossibly awkward.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”