ACOG Advice

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: ACOG Advice

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:26 am

Akin wrote:Hah! I'm more LSHD these days, but we do use NVGs at work from time to time, at some of our more interesting assignments, and the possibility of me needing to get the AR out of the trunk is much higher on those gigs... and anyway it's only a matter of time before I buy my own for fighting zombies, who am I kidding...

So, the 1/3 cowitness is kind of preferred? I'm used to flipping down the front sight while using optics on my piston rifle, so this'll be a first for my when I slap this on my M4gery
Eh. Your call. Some prefer the better sight picture with the 1/3rd, others like the absolute. If you're gonna run the NVD on the rifle, then yes I guess the T1 is worth the extra cash. If not (if you run it anywhere but on the rifle) the money is better spent elsewhere.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:53 pm

I still use LaRue if it's an option because they still make the best bomb-proof mounts. I don't particularly care that the owner can be a dick online. Or his politics/religion/whatever. Would he be better off if he never went on a forum again? Probably, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the mount.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Dave_M wrote:I still use LaRue if it's an option because they still make the best bomb-proof mounts. I don't particularly care that the owner can be a dick online. Or his politics/religion/whatever. Would he be better off if he never went on a forum again? Probably, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the mount.
True, and I've read a few bad reviews for repeatability on the ADM, but I don't know how accurate those reviews are with all the fanboys out there. I've got a coule, but haven't played with taking them on and off much. My Larues have all been great, except for the soft mounting bolts that come on them. Trying to remove one that's been locitited without stripping them is a iffy proposition in my experience.

What I am hearing lots of good things about are the Bobro's, and I think I might try a couple.

For Akin, here's the one's for the Micro, if you decide to go QR. http://www.bobroengineering.com/browse/ ... nt-mounts/

I'm not sure what you do for work that involves NVG and AR's in CA, but whatever it is, you might be able to finagle a better deal than internet price on the micro and the mount.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:26 pm

I have La Rue mounts and rings, work great. No complaints whatsoever.

Also love the free swag and the fact he's pissing off the douchebags. :wink:

I get a chuckle out if it when I see rants attacking how he supposedly believes rather than his products (not much to work with there huh?). Shocker, a guy in the gun biz that's pro-gun.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Akin wrote:Hah! I'm more LSHD these days, but we do use NVGs at work from time to time, at some of our more interesting assignments, and the possibility of me needing to get the AR out of the trunk is much higher on those gigs... and anyway it's only a matter of time before I buy my own for fighting zombies, who am I kidding...

So, the 1/3 cowitness is kind of preferred? I'm used to flipping down the front sight while using optics on my piston rifle, so this'll be a first for my when I slap this on my M4gery
Eh. Your call. Some prefer the better sight picture with the 1/3rd, others like the absolute. If you're gonna run the NVD on the rifle, then yes I guess the T1 is worth the extra cash. If not (if you run it anywhere but on the rifle) the money is better spent elsewhere.
I agree. The T1 is a pain in the ass to turn on too, having to go through the NV settings first each time. The H1 is still more waterproof than I'm planning on needing.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:20 am

I'll go LaRue every time cause they have taken care of me in the past even went I stripped the hell out of a set of scope rings and screwed up the mount.

They sent me a completely new mount.

Yeah I have spent several thousands of dollars with them on mounts and optics but thats still pretty freaking good service.

Who cares if he is a dick.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:19 pm

So this thread has become my do-all goto thread for optics. I hope no one minds if I keep resurrecting it.

These days, I have, aside from my original Eotech, which has kind of fallen out of favor, an ACOG and an Aimpoint...errr... H1 or T1, can never remember. The NVG one.

Anyway, about to buy an Aimpoint Comp M4, just need to decide if I want a high or low battery case.

I'll also be buying Aimpoint's flip-up lens covers/killflash. For this much money, it's inexcusable that it's not included, but whatever.

Question: does anyone know if the battery can be changed with the flip-up len cover installed?

The one common thread every review mentions is how hard it is to get the covers on and off... and one reviewer mentioned that it must be removed to change the battery on the battery-high model.

Thanks!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”