Anyone have an AR-10?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Anyone have an AR-10?

Post by Beowolf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 am

I've been lusting after the new Smith & Wesson M&P 10 recently revealed at Shot Show 2013. It's a .308 chambered AR-style rifle that just looks spectacular.

Anybody have one? Or any other version of the AR-10? What are you thoughts, especially compared to the AR-15 in .223? Upside to .308 vs. .223 is hunting large game and distance shooting, both of which appeal to me.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Ten Eight

Re: Anyone have an AR-10?

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:08 am

My friend has whatever DPMS's version of the AR-10 is. It's ok for what it is. I wouldn't want to stand around with it all day, or do a lot of offhand un supported shooting because of its weight. Mags are expensive, and I think some are platform specific.

But hey, the ammo's cheaper than 223 right now.

Look at the .308 that JP Rifles makes. If I ever own a .308 semi-auto it will be from them. No clunky PTRs, no FAILs (FAL), no G3s, just JP smoothness.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 am

I have an Armalite AR-10t. I bought it about ten years ago. I bought it after a lot of research and reflection on what I expected from my next rifle.

Only two complaints:
1. The critical one: Gen1 magazines were ridiculously bad. This was completely fixed with Gen2 mags.
2. It is extremely heavy. I have shot off-hand but do not enjoy it.

Besides the above concerns I find it almost flawless. I am no great shot but with this thing, I am scary accurate.

Happy hunting!
Last edited by Dabster on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 am

Had the LR308. Expensive to shoot. Took it hunting once...heavy as hell. Not as accurate as a bolt gun. Saw no utility my 5.56 AR couldn't do so I sold it.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 am

Ten Eight wrote: But hey, the ammo's cheaper than 223 right now.
Where? I need .308, and other than finding Tula at wally world, it's over $1 per round everywhere.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Ten Eight wrote: But hey, the ammo's cheaper than 223 right now.
Where? I need .308, and other than finding Tula at wally world, it's over $1 per round everywhere.
Used to be able to get Monarch SP for $12/box at Academy when I lived in Texas...that was the bulk of my stockpile. Then it dried up and even milsurp was expensive. I just found a box of corelokts and gave them to an AZ ZS buddy last night.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:49 am

I'm sure you guys do, but you gotta watch Gunbot. The stuff comes in and goes. Theres some 84 cents a round stuff right now, but yesterday and Wednesday there was some 50 and 60¢ listings.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 am

Beowolf wrote:I've been lusting after the new Smith & Wesson M&P 10 recently revealed at Shot Show 2013. It's a .308 chambered AR-style rifle that just looks spectacular.

Anybody have one? Or any other version of the AR-10? What are you thoughts, especially compared to the AR-15 in .223? Upside to .308 vs. .223 is hunting large game and distance shooting, both of which appeal to me.
I've had several AR's in .308, including an AR10 and an SR25. Currently I have a Colt LE901 and I've got one of the S&W MP10's coming.

You already know the upside to .308 over .223 for big game, what else are you trying to find out?

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 am

Ten Eight wrote:But hey, the ammo's cheaper than 223 right now.
Only on a fluke. It's usually right around double the price.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 am

Mostly I'm looking for encouragement/discouragement. :) I'm awaiting delivery of a .243 for smaller things, but the .308 has been on my mind for quite some time now. And I do love the look of the AR-style rifles.

As to price, I've been seeing comparable .223 and .308 pricing for the last few months, mostly on the bulk ammo sites. Is that abnormal? :?:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 am

I've had a rifle for about 2 years that started out as a standard 20" barrel DPMS AP4. It was on the heavy side for an "everyday and hunting" rifle, which was my purpose. But after turning the barrel diameter from .980" down to .800" under the handguard, putting on PRI folding sights/gas block, a PRI handguard and various other accessories, it comes in at about 8.5 lbs. It's now a nice rifle to carry around. I have killed around 300 feral hogs with it in the last 18 months. With any type of soft points it works so much better than even the best .223/5.56 ammo. There is really no comparison (except for brain shots).

I like it so much that I committed to the considerable financial pain of buying a full-house custom .308 AR from Lone Star Armory. I'm just getting this one broken in, but signs are I'm really gonna love this one too. Oh yeah, just got 5 more PMags from DSG Arms for $17.50 each. They are available. You just have to get on the backorder list.

All that to say, GET ONE, and customize it however appeals to you, and you will probably love it....except for the cost and availability of ammo. :(

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Beowolf wrote:Mostly I'm looking for encouragement/discouragement. :) I'm awaiting delivery of a .243 for smaller things, but the .308 has been on my mind for quite some time now. And I do love the look of the AR-style rifles.
Well, they're really for different purposes, though there is some crossover. You have to ask yourself what you want the rifle to do. If you mostly want a home defense carbine, I'd get a 5.56, no question. If you mostly want a big game rifle, or a 800 yard shooter, a .308 will do a better job. In a "PAW", and I could only have one, I'd take the 5.56, hands down.

It's also important to know that .308 AR's aren't as standardized as 5.56 AR's. There's differences in the parts and accessories for them. If you do go .308, I'd definitely get one that uses the SR25/Pmag magazines. And it's just me, but I'd think about a gun from someone like Colt, S&W, Larue, LMT, etc. While you'll hear guys here and on other forums rave about their various guns, if you do some looking around, you'll see some of them don't have the best overall reputation. The S&W may be new and untried, but I'd trust S&W to make anything right on it. All of the reports I'm hearing are good though, enough so that I ordered one.
Beowolf wrote:As to price, I've been seeing comparable .223 and .308 pricing for the last few months, mostly on the bulk ammo sites. Is that abnormal? :?:
That's just guys jacking up the .223 more. Under normal conditions, .308 is definitely going to be more expensive. Like I said, double the price of .223/5.56 is about where it should be, and will be again when all of this settles down.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm

ShooterMike wrote:I've had a rifle for about 2 years that started out as a standard 20" barrel DPMS AP4. It was on the heavy side for an "everyday and hunting" rifle, which was my purpose. But after turning the barrel diameter from .980" down to .800" under the handguard, putting on PRI folding sights/gas block, a PRI handguard and various other accessories, it comes in at about 8.5 lbs. It's now a nice rifle to carry around. (
That was my thinking as well. While I like my Colt .308, it's heavier than I would prefer. The S&W weighs a lot less, 7.75 lbs, and that's with an 18" barrel instead of the Colt's 16". I'm looking forward to hunting with it.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:40 am

I've got a line on one. But what would you pay? Many are going on GunBroker.com for $1900+. MSRP is ~$1650.
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:02 am

Beowolf wrote:I've got a line on one. But what would you pay? Many are going on GunBroker.com for $1900+. MSRP is ~$1650.
Depends on what it is. For me? $900 would be it, and for a decent one. I don't -need- a semi-auto .308, so for me to get one (okay I have an FAL, but they serve the same purpose) it would have to be cheap (like my FAL) otherwise I'd get a bolt gun and be happy. Shit, a ruger GSR is about $900 new, and I can order the Savage 10FP (.308 bolt action hog gun) for less than that.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:50 am

Beowolf wrote:I've got a line on one. But what would you pay? Many are going on GunBroker.com for $1900+. MSRP is ~$1650.
If you're patient, you can probably get one for 1300 or less.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Depends on what it is. For me? $900 would be it, and for a decent one.
Yeah, I would pay $250 for a Glock 21. But only for a decent one.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:54 am

400 Grains wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Depends on what it is. For me? $900 would be it, and for a decent one.
Yeah, I would pay $250 for a Glock 21. But only for a decent one.
Just trying to put in perspective that semi auto .308s are really expensive compared to their bolt-action counterparts, and for the OP's stated purposes of extended range shooting and larger game. Chances are the bolt guns will do it cheaper and better.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:00 am

But I'm looking for semi-auto. And the AR platform is popular, flexible, and reliable. .223 is everywhere, but I've got a .243 bolt-action on the way already, so I'm not really looking for that caliber. Looking for something that could take some long range shots and be a legitimate defense weapon if the need should arise.

Can't find a name branded AR-15 for under $1200 around here (Colorado), so $900 isn't really reasonable. And I'm not picking up someone's used trash being sold for a steal. So...

Oh, and something like the S&W model won't be going for $1300 around here any time soon. Maybe an FN or something like that, but I've read some less than favorable things about those.

Appreciate the conversation, however. :)
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:07 am

Out of curiosity, what did you read bad about the FN?

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 am

Accuracy surpassed by DPMS and similar others. Take down not as smooth as many others in class. Design somewhere between combat and long range rifle but a muddy combination of the two. Not a lot of modification potential/options.

Those are some of the regular downsides I've read. That's not to say there haven't been lots of repeated upsides, but those have me wanting to move a different direction.
-
ZS Wiki

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 am

Oh, and FNs around here are in the same price range (~$1500+).
-
ZS Wiki

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 am

Beowolf wrote:But I'm looking for semi-auto. And the AR platform is popular, flexible, and reliable. .223 is everywhere, but I've got a .243 bolt-action on the way already, so I'm not really looking for that caliber. Looking for something that could take some long range shots and be a legitimate defense weapon if the need should arise.
I agree the AR15 is popular, flexible, and reliable that doesn't necessarily translate to the AR10s. Popularity of the AR15 means cheap and readily available parts (current rush is temporary not the norm). AR10 parts are less standardized and have more proprietary parts. An AR15 is flexible but I think a lot of that has to do with the round. And I don't think any AR10 variant has gone been tested as thoroughly as the AR15. I also wouldn't eliminate the AR15 simply because you have a .243 bolt. Totally different.

So if you want a semi-auto .308 start at the top and look at the AR10, FAL, G3, M14, and Saiga 308. There are plenty of threads on here comparing them.

Also, its generally a bad time to be looking for a semi-auto rifle particularly an AR. I'd take you time, do some research and let the prices come back down to somewhat normal. (That FNAR you referenced for $1500 was about $900 in December; quality ARs new were $800/900 not $1500+. Just wait it out...)

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 am

Beowolf wrote:But I'm looking for semi-auto. And the AR platform is popular, flexible, and reliable. .223 is everywhere, but I've got a .243 bolt-action on the way already, so I'm not really looking for that caliber. Looking for something that could take some long range shots and be a legitimate defense weapon if the need should arise.

Can't find a name branded AR-15 for under $1200 around here (Colorado), so $900 isn't really reasonable. And I'm not picking up someone's used trash being sold for a steal. So...

Oh, and something like the S&W model won't be going for $1300 around here any time soon. Maybe an FN or something like that, but I've read some less than favorable things about those.

Appreciate the conversation, however. :)
Prices are already falling. I think if you look, you can find the MP10 in the 1300 range fairly soon.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”