Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 pm 

Picked up a few 48 round Master Molder AK mags for my WASR 10. Long story short, they don't fit-Any ideas? From what I googled, they SHOULD fit, but they don't. It's like the front of the mag won't engage, and as a result, wont lock in, just rotate right out. Am I stuck with 30 rounders, or is there a trick I don't know about? (likely....)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:39 pm 

How about just returning them?

If you pull out the dremel tool in an attempt to modify it you won't be able to return them and you might also be stuck with a mag that doesn't work.

Just saying...

"Cynicism is my armor, sarcasm my sword and apathy my shield."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 pm 

In a normal world, I would agree. But, in today's world, where $9 magazines are suddenly $40, and who knows if we can even BUY them next week, I'm just curious if others have had the same experience. I don't want to go randomly dremmeling them unless I have a reasonable expectation it might work. But on the other hand, returning them to the online retailer I got them from, which is innundated with orders and can hardly keep up, might just mean I get my money back but an SOL on getting anything that fits in the next decade. I think I'll check at my LGS, see if they can make em fit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 pm 

I had to file my Tapco mags to fit my WASR, try sanding the rear locking lug down a bit. Master Molder makes shitty mags anyway, but worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:19 am 

1. Put them up for auction.
2. Make way more than they are worth
3. buy these http://centerfiresystems.com/WWWMAGAKA-KR40.aspx
or better yet wait for prices to normalize and buy some normal steel 30 rounders.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:32 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

All sorts of mags may or may not fit a WASR... considering the drunk monkeys as CAI that mill out the magwells....

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I had almost the same issue with my WASR. You can either file the right and left sides of the magwell, this should allow more lateral space. Don't go crazy just a little bit with a fine metal file. You can file the mag release where it makes contact with the tab on the mag, again, no go crazy.
do you have issues with normal steel mags? Master molder I believe is thermold of AR fame. If your mag well works with steel mags I wouldn't mess with it. You can either mess with the master mold to try and get it to seat then go through the frustration of trying to get the mag itself to work or just return it for a refund. Higher than 30 rd mags not made by com block nations generally do not work.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
LOOK AT THIS MOLOTOV!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm 

Shortline wrote:
In a normal world, I would agree. But, in today's world, where $9 magazines are suddenly $40, and who knows if we can even BUY them next week, I'm just curious if others have had the same experience. I don't want to go randomly dremmeling them unless I have a reasonable expectation it might work. But on the other hand, returning them to the online retailer I got them from, which is innundated with orders and can hardly keep up, might just mean I get my money back but an SOL on getting anything that fits in the next decade. I think I'll check at my LGS, see if they can make em fit.

Okay. I understand, makes sense.

If you're determined to try and get them to fit apparently the issue is that with many of those Master Molder AK mags the mag is too large for most AK mag-wells and they grind on the front left and right when the shooter tries to insert the mag.

http://prep2survive.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-picked-up-some-new-magazines-this.html?m=1

This is the spot where many of these particular brand of mags grind when the shooter tries to insert the mag.

Using a dremel or a file a little bit at a time the way Regular Guy suggested above and then checking re-fit after each little bit is removed may help. Just remember you can always file more off, you can't add material back to the mag once it's off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:59 pm 

Thanks all. Mine do have rub marks on the sides similar to the above pic, but it still goes in-It just won't hook on the front. The back will latch, but the front doesn't seem to engage, and just rotates out. I'm going to take em to the LGS and see if it fits any of their AK's other than CIA WASR's. I don't think it's the rifle so much, simply because I have several other brands of mags, both steel and polymer that fit fine. None have the dreaded WASR Wobble either, they fit well. I think the front lug on the MM mags is just maybe not deep enough to engage? Either way, if I find it fits other AK's, I think I'll put em on Ebay, and just stick with what I know fits for mine. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 pm 

Shortline wrote:
Thanks all. Mine do have rub marks on the sides similar to the above pic, but it still goes in-It just won't hook on the front. The back will latch, but the front doesn't seem to engage, and just rotates out. I'm going to take em to the LGS and see if it fits any of their AK's other than CIA WASR's. I don't think it's the rifle so much, simply because I have several other brands of mags, both steel and polymer that fit fine. None have the dreaded WASR Wobble either, they fit well. I think the front lug on the MM mags is just maybe not deep enough to engage? Either way, if I find it fits other AK's, I think I'll put em on Ebay, and just stick with what I know fits for mine. Thanks again!

If your LGS will work on them for you that's probably the best plan. Many gunsmiths don't want to work on mags, only guns. If your LGS will do that for you then they're definitely a keeper.

I'm pretty sure that deepening the front latch and making it steeper (giving it a little more to grab onto) would work, but you're probably better off letting a gunsmith do it.