Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Picked up a few 48 round Master Molder AK mags for my WASR 10. Long story short, they don't fit-Any ideas? From what I googled, they SHOULD fit, but they don't. It's like the front of the mag won't engage, and as a result, wont lock in, just rotate right out. Am I stuck with 30 rounders, or is there a trick I don't know about? (likely....)

_________________
I suppose, the need to focus never arose. So, something like a Swiss Army Knife, that's my life! (JB)


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:39 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Posts: 4700
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 252 times
How about just returning them?

If you pull out the dremel tool in an attempt to modify it you won't be able to return them and you might also be stuck with a mag that doesn't work.

Just saying...

_________________
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
In a normal world, I would agree. But, in today's world, where $9 magazines are suddenly $40, and who knows if we can even BUY them next week, I'm just curious if others have had the same experience. I don't want to go randomly dremmeling them unless I have a reasonable expectation it might work. But on the other hand, returning them to the online retailer I got them from, which is innundated with orders and can hardly keep up, might just mean I get my money back but an SOL on getting anything that fits in the next decade. I think I'll check at my LGS, see if they can make em fit.

_________________
I suppose, the need to focus never arose. So, something like a Swiss Army Knife, that's my life! (JB)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 pm 
Offline
* * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Posts: 827
Location: Pacific Northwest
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
I had to file my Tapco mags to fit my WASR, try sanding the rear locking lug down a bit. Master Molder makes shitty mags anyway, but worth a shot.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:19 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:10 am
Posts: 1550
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
1. Put them up for auction.
2. Make way more than they are worth
3. buy these http://centerfiresystems.com/WWWMAGAKA-KR40.aspx
or better yet wait for prices to normalize and buy some normal steel 30 rounders.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:32 am 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 15753
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 5 times
All sorts of mags may or may not fit a WASR... considering the drunk monkeys as CAI that mill out the magwells....

_________________
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am
Posts: 10683
Location: Souf Cack
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 198 times
I had almost the same issue with my WASR. You can either file the right and left sides of the magwell, this should allow more lateral space. Don't go crazy just a little bit with a fine metal file. You can file the mag release where it makes contact with the tab on the mag, again, no go crazy.
do you have issues with normal steel mags? Master molder I believe is thermold of AR fame. If your mag well works with steel mags I wouldn't mess with it. You can either mess with the master mold to try and get it to seat then go through the frustration of trying to get the mag itself to work or just return it for a refund. Higher than 30 rd mags not made by com block nations generally do not work.

_________________
B35 09-15-2014 He be wid us now.
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=113917
MEATWORLD: THE SAGA AND SALAMI CONTINUES! Git you sum!
GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Posts: 4700
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 252 times
Shortline wrote:
In a normal world, I would agree. But, in today's world, where $9 magazines are suddenly $40, and who knows if we can even BUY them next week, I'm just curious if others have had the same experience. I don't want to go randomly dremmeling them unless I have a reasonable expectation it might work. But on the other hand, returning them to the online retailer I got them from, which is innundated with orders and can hardly keep up, might just mean I get my money back but an SOL on getting anything that fits in the next decade. I think I'll check at my LGS, see if they can make em fit.

Okay. I understand, makes sense.

If you're determined to try and get them to fit apparently the issue is that with many of those Master Molder AK mags the mag is too large for most AK mag-wells and they grind on the front left and right when the shooter tries to insert the mag.

http://prep2survive.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-picked-up-some-new-magazines-this.html?m=1

This is the spot where many of these particular brand of mags grind when the shooter tries to insert the mag.

Image

Using a dremel or a file a little bit at a time the way Regular Guy suggested above and then checking re-fit after each little bit is removed may help. Just remember you can always file more off, you can't add material back to the mag once it's off.

_________________
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:59 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Thanks all. Mine do have rub marks on the sides similar to the above pic, but it still goes in-It just won't hook on the front. The back will latch, but the front doesn't seem to engage, and just rotates out. I'm going to take em to the LGS and see if it fits any of their AK's other than CIA WASR's. I don't think it's the rifle so much, simply because I have several other brands of mags, both steel and polymer that fit fine. None have the dreaded WASR Wobble either, they fit well. I think the front lug on the MM mags is just maybe not deep enough to engage? Either way, if I find it fits other AK's, I think I'll put em on Ebay, and just stick with what I know fits for mine. Thanks again!

_________________
I suppose, the need to focus never arose. So, something like a Swiss Army Knife, that's my life! (JB)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Posts: 4700
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 252 times
Shortline wrote:
Thanks all. Mine do have rub marks on the sides similar to the above pic, but it still goes in-It just won't hook on the front. The back will latch, but the front doesn't seem to engage, and just rotates out. I'm going to take em to the LGS and see if it fits any of their AK's other than CIA WASR's. I don't think it's the rifle so much, simply because I have several other brands of mags, both steel and polymer that fit fine. None have the dreaded WASR Wobble either, they fit well. I think the front lug on the MM mags is just maybe not deep enough to engage? Either way, if I find it fits other AK's, I think I'll put em on Ebay, and just stick with what I know fits for mine. Thanks again!

If your LGS will work on them for you that's probably the best plan. Many gunsmiths don't want to work on mags, only guns. If your LGS will do that for you then they're definitely a keeper.

I'm pretty sure that deepening the front latch and making it steeper (giving it a little more to grab onto) would work, but you're probably better off letting a gunsmith do it.

_________________
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Elrikk and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group