Ishapore 2A1 - Good cheap bolt rifle in .308

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Red Dawn

Ishapore 2A1 - Good cheap bolt rifle in .308

Post by Red Dawn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 am

Today I bought an Ishapore 2A1 rifle. Everything I have looked at online says it's pretty decent for what it is. Earlier I put 50 rounds of 7.62 surplus through it with no issues. I did not really test the accuracy because I wanted to just see if it would work at all. Price was $200 private sale and I jumped on it. The wood is rough and needs to be refinished, I think it's teak but I am unsure on that. The metal finish is worn but it looks great. The rifle weighs slightly less than my SKS unloaded and just has that classic Enfield look and feel that I fell in love with when I was fifteen.

This particular rifle was made in 1966 and is all matching except I think the back blades, the serial if that is indeed a serial there does not match the rest of the rifle. I've ordered stripper clips for .308 and I will keep the magazine attached and just use strippers.

I've long been a fan of the Enfield but with .303 surplus drying up and prices too high for my blood this is a great alternative to have the look and feel yet be able to shoot my favorite rifle catridge, the .308, I did shoot some .308 Winchester through it also that came with the gun and had no issues with the cases bulging or anything else. My very first big game hunt I took an Antelope with a No.4 mk.II and now I want to take something with this great rifle.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look out for with possible problems? I was iffy about the Indian Ishapore 2A1's until I fired one last year and had to have one. The Ishapore Enfields in .303 aren't in good condition that I've seen and the rifling on this is strong and the bore is shiny.
"Gulo Gulae!"

Viper shtf

Re: Ishapore 2A1 - Good cheap bolt rifle in .308

Post by Viper shtf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:45 am

Very nice!
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 am

*Bro-fist*
Love my 2A1.

Something to look out for: MAKE SURE YOUR SAFETY IS FULLY ENGAGED.

On mine, at least, if the safety isn't fully engaged and the trigger is pulled, the gun will fire as soon as you release the safety lever. So long as the safety lever is fully engaged, there is no issue whatsoever.

Mine, before cleaning her up.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 am

Viper shtf wrote:Very nice!
I absolutely am 100 percent satisfied with the purchase
HellSpork wrote:*Bro-fist*
Love my 2A1.

Something to look out for: MAKE SURE YOUR SAFETY IS FULLY ENGAGED.

On mine, at least, if the safety isn't fully engaged and the trigger is pulled, the gun will fire as soon as you release the safety lever. So long as the safety lever is fully engaged, there is no issue whatsoever.

Mine, before cleaning her up.

That I did not know but I remember something like that with my old no.4

I plan on refinishing the wood but I am undecided if I am going to do anything on the metal beyond take the paint off. I may cerakote or duracoat it but really I love that worn look and the only part of it that is really bad is the magazine that has paint globs on it.
"Gulo Gulae!"

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 am

Thats a picture of dangerously bulged commercial .308 brass (Federal Fusion) after being fired in my old Ishapore 2A. Mil-Surp 7.62x51 ran through it without issue or deformation, and the headspace was within spec for 7.62x51. I only took pics of the one, but I shot 2 boxes of the Fusion before realizing it was happening, and upon examination, every single commercial case was deformed, swelling like a sausage just forward of the case head.

These are NOT rifles you want to run commercial .308 in. The thin brass in commercially produced .308, combined with the overly roomy chambers of sloppily made milsurp guns, combined with the significantly higher chamber pressure of commercial .308, makes this an unsafe combination.

Stick with milsurp brass, or risk a catastropic case rupture.

ETA: Please see this work on the subject

http://how-i-did-it.org/762vs308/chamber.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm

$200 is a very good deal on a Ishy 2A/A1. I traded mine off some time ago, and while I got a good trade on it, I miss the thing. Gonna have to rebuild the collection as funds and space become available.
Nice rifle. Treat it well.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:51 pm

crypto wrote: dangerously bulged commercial .308 brass (Federal Fusion) after being fired in my old Ishapore 2A. Mil-Surp 7.62x51 ran through it without issue or deformation,
The ten Winchester Super X .308 cartridges I fired had no bulges but yeah I get completely what you are saying so I'm not going to use that ammo. I did buy Federal 7.62x51 Surplus and ran 50 rounds through it with that. Rifle is just a dream to shoot. Feels exactly like the Enfields I used to have and just needs some wood work and metal care.
shoggoth80 wrote:$200 is a very good deal on a Ishy 2A/A1. I traded mine off some time ago, and while I got a good trade on it, I miss the thing. Gonna have to rebuild the collection as funds and space become available.
Nice rifle. Treat it well.
I used to have a large collection but in 2008 I had to start selling it off when I lost my job. My primary gun is an SKS but I wanted a nice classic bolt and when I saw the Ishapore I couldn't pass it up. I just need to get a sword bayonet for it.
"Gulo Gulae!"

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:05 pm

crypto wrote:Image

Thats a picture of dangerously bulged commercial .308 brass (Federal Fusion) after being fired in my old Ishapore 2A. Mil-Surp 7.62x51 ran through it without issue or deformation, and the headspace was within spec for 7.62x51. I only took pics of the one, but I shot 2 boxes of the Fusion before realizing it was happening, and upon examination, every single commercial case was deformed, swelling like a sausage just forward of the case head.

These are NOT rifles you want to run commercial .308 in. The thin brass in commercially produced .308, combined with the overly roomy chambers of sloppily made milsurp guns, combined with the significantly higher chamber pressure of commercial .308, makes this an unsafe combination.

http://how-i-did-it.org/762vs308/chamber.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like this. normally some of the stuff on the interwebs is annoying here say. but thank you for backing up that one. Ill keep an eye on things like that when i shoot other 7.62 nato riles useing .308.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm

"I used to have a large collection but in 2008 I had to start selling it off when I lost my job. My primary gun is an SKS but I wanted a nice classic bolt and when I saw the Ishapore I couldn't pass it up. I just need to get a sword bayonet for it."
-I feel that one. I am down to 2 long guns, and 3 pistols. The P1907 bayonet IS awesome though!

Angrypirate

Post by Angrypirate » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm

All the stock needs is some linseed oil. A coat a day for a week, a coat a month for a year then once every year thereafter and the stock will be beautiful and remain in original condition.

Nice rifle mate :D

raxar

Post by raxar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Now you need one of these

...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:26 pm

raxar wrote:Now you need one of these

No, I need several. I want an arsenal of Ishapore 2A1's and Jungle Carbines

Angrypirate wrote:All the stock needs is some linseed oil. A coat a day for a week, a coat a month for a year then once every year thereafter and the stock will be beautiful and remain in original condition.

Nice rifle mate :D
I am going to strip it and refinish it, I like to refinish wood. I am undecided on what to do with the metal right now.

I also noticed something else, nearly every one I see people talk about online has CAI import marks, mine has no import marks.
"Gulo Gulae!"

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

crypto wrote:Image

It's not just the SMLE, had a MAS 36 rechambered to 7.62x51/308 - some brass deformed, some didnt.
It's gone now, but ANY new (to you) rifle should have the headspace checked by a competent person and then after the first couple of rounds, examine the brass carefully.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raxar

Post by raxar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Red Dawn wrote:

No, I need several. I want an arsenal of Ishapore 2A1's and Jungle Carbines

Those aren't factory rifles BTW, Navy arms built them a few years ago

The coolest of the lot are the "bulldogs"

...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:22 pm

For anyone collecting used milsurp guns, I would absolutely recommend buying a set of go/nogo/field gauges for your intended cartridge.

If it closes on the no-go gauge, you almost certainly have a problem. If it closes on the field gauge, you need to hang the gun on the wall and not shoot it until you've fixed it.

And, if you specifically have a 7.62x51, I would also recommend getting a set of gauges for .308 Winchester. The dimensions are /not/ identical, per the above linked article.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:35 pm

The coolest of the lot are the "bulldogs"

Image[/quote]

^^I second that very much.^^

The shortened Ishapore "Bulldog" (or "tanker") is the basis of my budget scout rifle. Very handy, and quite effective.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:30 am

The Jinxmedic wrote:The coolest of the lot are the "bulldogs"

^^I second that very much.^^

The shortened Ishapore "Bulldog" (or "tanker") is the basis of my budget scout rifle. Very handy, and quite effective.[/quote]

Oh dear god I want one badly, Where could I buy it?

Here's a question for anyone that knows. My Ishapore stock is pretty chunked in places almost like it was dropped down a ravine. Nothing is bent and it fires straight and true but every part of it is nicked and beat. Would it be possible for me to replace the stock with a No.1 mk.III with brass butt plate and a new metal front end and blade guard? Basically make it look exactly like a No.1 mk.III minus the magazine.
"Gulo Gulae!"

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't know if you want to put any money into your 2A, but I have a Huber ball-bearing trigger in mine. It made my sweet shootin' Ishy that much sweeter:

http://www.huberconcepts.com/Lee-Enfiel ... cement.htm

Also, I have a couple of ProMag 10 round 2A magazines. Their magazines for auto-loaders may not have a good rep, but these work fine in my Ishapore:

http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/enf%2002.htm
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:04 am

RickOShea wrote:I don't know if you want to put any money into your 2A, but I have a Huber ball-bearing trigger in mine. It made my sweet shootin' Ishy that much sweeter:

http://www.huberconcepts.com/Lee-Enfiel ... cement.htm

Also, I have a couple of ProMag 10 round 2A magazines. Their magazines for auto-loaders may not have a good rep, but these work fine in my Ishapore:

http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/enf%2002.htm
Thanks Rick. I am going to turn this into as good of a shooter as I can. The stock is so beat up though that I'm just going to spend money on a no.1 mk.III stock since I learned I can use those instead.
"Gulo Gulae!"

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”