Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Mr.Rogers wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
I second endeavor stitch works belts. I wear one of rigger belts on a daily. I wear one the cobra belts for conceal carry. Kary is great to work with and he does an awesome job with his web gear.
I ordered a Vring gunbelt ($36 shipped) from Kary about a week ago. Great guy, loves ZSers, quick responses. 4-5 weeks to get your belt made, so it may be another month before I get it. I'm very excited. It will be my new everyday-nodaysoff gunbelt/pantsbelt, though when I get a job, I'll order a few more. Black does get a bit old in the summer :wink:

My wife, dog and I all have belts/collar from Kary. Excellent, excellent quality stuff.

ETA: It does take a bit to get your gear from him, but that's because he's making them for you himself. Given that, it's all amazingly fairly priced to boot.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:54 pm 

Has anyone heard from Kary? Is he OK? I placed an order, and had some email chat with him, then nothing for over a month...

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 pm 
BANNED

Been rocking the Ares Gear Ranger Belt as shown below. It looks good, works outstandingly well so far. My only apprehension is that it seems odd that the flimsy 1" outer belt fabric is the only part engaged by the buckle, so it's more of a tension strap around the actual load bearing 1.5" belt. The 1.5" belt wraps around, overlaps, and the 1" belt has the cobra buckle that cinches it together. I've had no trouble whatsoever with that setup. I apparently wasn't paying much attention to the pics prior to ordering and I was a little surprised by it.

Soon as I lose enough weight to have to ditch this belt, though, I'm going with John Willis' of SOE and getting one of his belts. Seen some of his gear, and how his company operates, and I gotta support that shit! Made in the Mother Fucking USA.

Anyways, yea, Ares Gear belt is GTG so far, but I got love for SOE now. Loving their slings, gonna rock the belt next.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 pm 

Got an email from Kary the other day. He had some health issues, but is now feeling better and doing better than he has in a while. He said he's clearing out all the orders that have been waiting at a pretty good pace.

minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:36 pm 

TheLastOne wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
I'm looking for a "fancy" stitch leather gun belt to replace my 5.11 belts. They are worn out after 10 years of constant wear.

Any suggestions?

http://thebeltman.net/

I've had one of this guy's belts for about 8 years now. Has held up nicely. $80
Mine has started bowing some, and if I get a new one I'd get the same one again fwiw

The Beltman is the best belt I own period.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:20 am 

I've been loving my V-Ring Gun Belt from Kary. So comfy, even with a fat belly!

minengr wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:42 am 

I use a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt. That thing is amazing its not too terribly thick but absolutely does not flex or let the holster flop one bit. Nice and light weight too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Tagged.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I've been using the 5.11 version of the Instructor gun belt for about a decade now, its holding up great.

I also have a 5.11 leather gunbelt that is also still in good structural shape, but much of the shine and finish is coming off from holster clip rub.

I got them cheap, and I think the cobra buckles are too much of a pain in the ass to use in normal pants.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:16 pm 
BANNED

crypto wrote:
I got them cheap, and I think the cobra buckles are too much of a pain in the ass to use in normal pants.

That's kinda funny. I found it to be the opposite compared to traditional buckles. I like being able to just hit the top/bottom 'buttons' on the buckle to drop trou or adjust my belt or re-tuck my shirt throughout the day, and have to do an extra step at the end of the day when I take the belt out of my pants. I liked the one greater inconvenience at the end/beginning of the day with easier convenience throughout, rather than the opposite. Different strokes I guess. (the cobra buckle is faster for doing that too)

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 pm 

For those just looking for a "normal-looking" leather belt for CCW, I've had great success with the Amish Belt by Hank's Clothing.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_black_buy.html

I've been running my CCW set up on this for 18 months now, and it's worked great.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:38 am 

Got a kind of weird one, as is pretty typical for me.

I've just gotten my CCW and I'm soon to start carrying. However, some of my medical issues bang head-on into what's conventional wisdom for gun belts. I need a belt that's "short" top to bottom, and ESPECIALLY has a short buckle, to prevent pressing into areas that have medical issues going on. I've actually proven this is a problem, this isn't just some "well I think I need" sort of thing. So my question is, so long as they're very stiff, do "short" belts like 1" or 1.25" actually work and, if so, are they available from any vendor? The carry methods I'm looking at will not exert a large twist on the belt. I'm not looking at OWB concealment holsters that place all the mass of the gun above the belt or anything. I just want something that doesn't slide up and down and roll up in a tube when you holster/draw like the 1" nylon webbing belt I'm wearing now. Right now, when I draw, the belt rolls up into a little tube so the holster can lift about an inch relative to the belt, then the belt can (since it's now a little tube) life up about an inch relative to the belt loops. So the gun doesn't start moving relative to the holster until the bottom of the holster's loops are a little bit higher than the top of the belt loops. Not to mention that the belt doesn't help spread the weight around any so my pants droop on that side.

Anyway, know of any skinny/short (1" or 1.25") gun belts on the market?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 am 

williaty wrote:

I know Kary at Endeavor does 1.25" dog collars and 1.5" belts with no buckle at all as inner duty belts. They velcro together over 6 inches. I wore cheap Uncle Mikes inner duty belts like this for a while, but these use cheaper velcro than Kary does, and didn't hold a gun that well. Since I got my belt from Kary, I've been much happier, though I do wear the buckle offset to the side, on my hip, to allow my Dunlop belly to comfortably dunlop over my belt :gonk: Kary is a great guy, does great all-custom gunbelts, and is himself no stranger to medical issues, so I think if you talk to him he can set you up. All orders are placed by email, and you will be talking to him directly.

My only concern with a thinner belt is that the belt fits too loose in the beltloops on the pants and on the holster, allowwing a whole lot of flopping around in the up/down direction.

minengr wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Kutter_0311 wrote:
williaty wrote:

I know Kary at Endeavor does 1.25" dog collars and 1.5" belts with no buckle at all as inner duty belts. They velcro together over 6 inches. I wore cheap Uncle Mikes inner duty belts like this for a while, but these use cheaper velcro than Kary does, and didn't hold a gun that well. Since I got my belt from Kary, I've been much happier, though I do wear the buckle offset to the side, on my hip, to allow my Dunlop belly to comfortably dunlop over my belt :gonk: Kary is a great guy, does great all-custom gunbelts, and is himself no stranger to medical issues, so I think if you talk to him he can set you up. All orders are placed by email, and you will be talking to him directly.

My only concern with a thinner belt is that the belt fits too loose in the beltloops on the pants and on the holster, allowwing a whole lot of flopping around in the up/down direction.

Even my wife's "Dat ass" jeans can handle a 1.75" belt, but some of her slacks cannot, so she got a 1.5".

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm 

Czechnology wrote:
Even my wife's "Dat ass" jeans can handle a 1.75" belt, but some of her slacks cannot, so she got a 1.5".

Pics, or it didn't happen :wink:

minengr wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm 
BANNED

Kutter_0311 wrote:

If the belt is tight, it shouldn't really move in the pants. You also have to get the right holster clips for the belt. Don't get clips for a 1.75 if you have a 1.5 belt. Then it won't matter. My experience anyways. /shrug

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

JTNieman wrote:
crypto wrote:

That's kinda funny. I found it to be the opposite compared to traditional buckles. I like being able to just hit the top/bottom 'buttons' on the buckle to drop trou or adjust my belt or re-tuck my shirt throughout the day, and have to do an extra step at the end of the day when I take the belt out of my pants. I liked the one greater inconvenience at the end/beginning of the day with easier convenience throughout, rather than the opposite. Different strokes I guess. (the cobra buckle is faster for doing that too)

So, do you un-velcro one end of the cobra belt to thread it through your loops?

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
BANNED

crypto wrote:
JTNieman wrote:
crypto wrote:

So, do you un-velcro one end of the cobra belt to thread it through your loops?

Oh I see, we're talking about slightly different types of belts.

With that type, yes, once the buckle is set, I put the belt into my pants that way, and take it out that way. Then I just feed the belt through the buckle (while it's buckled) and then strap it back over and velcro it. Then the benefits of the buckle like I outlined before are the same for throughout-the-day use.

I was originally thinking about the belt I'm wearing right now for every-day which is the Ares Gear, in which case you have the cobra buckles on a belt that simply overlaps, with an elastic 'keeper' that holds the loose end where it overlaps. Then the outer belt buckles to cinch your shit. Very comfortable and convenient. However, this is special to belts like this, of which many MFRs make, where it has 'two' belts. The outer belt isn't really a belt but more of a decorative nylon strap that cinches the main belt shut. In this belt's case, I thread the buckle off the male/leading end to put the belt through the belt loops.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Whoa whoa, okay the ares design just blew my mind.

So the only thing holding that one together is the thin outer strip of webbing? Why in gods name do they use a 1500lb buckle for that?

I don't get it.

ETA: When I said Cobra buckle, I meant one of these belts:

Now, that is a 1.75" belt, which means that buckle is 2" across. I have /some/ pants that will accomodate a 1.75 belt, but NONE that would accomodate that buckle. Which is why I was asking if you removed the buckle to thread the belt.

ETA#2: LOL that Area belt is $85 lolololol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:47 pm 

I bought a crossbreed belt when I got my supertuck. I can not say enough good things about a decent belt over some cheep ass Mal-Mart style belt.
I ended up going with a 1.5 because I read some where get the biggest belt for what you will wear and make sure it fits your accessories. the 1.5 fits everything I had but I have noticed that it is a little snug in the loops of my dickies slacks. It fits, just barely, but it fits.

The VolksRodders Forum - cut, weld, drive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:00 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

crypto wrote:
Whoa whoa, okay the ares design just blew my mind.

So the only thing holding that one together is the thin outer strip of webbing? Why in gods name do they use a 1500lb buckle for that?

I don't get it.

Because...it looks good? I don't see a load bearing D-ring. I don't believe your CCW weighs 1500 pounds. Does someone actually know the load bearing capacity of that 'flimsy looking strap' [citation needed] Regardless of load capacity on the buckle, between wearing a Wilderness Riggers Belt and my Ares Gear belt, I find the Ares to be WAY more convenient during day to day activities.

Putting on a normal riggers belt and the Ares is identical. Unbuckling the belt to drop trou when that Mexican or bad Chinese comes back is leagues easier on the Ares. Removing the belt for the day is identical on both belts.

Quote:
ETA#2: LOL that Area belt is $85 lolololol

We won't get into cost of R&D and 'Chicken or the Egg' syndrome with similar competing companies and/or products. The 85 I spent on the Ranger belt was a completely solid purchase. It is leaps and bounds more stiff than any 1.75" Type 13 Webbing based Cobra Belt (I own one of those as well, from Ares funnily enough)

That double thick scuba webbing makes all the difference...and what do they say? Stiffer is better?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:29 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

The Ares belt is worth it. I think the reasons they use that type of buckle are:
1. It doesn't stick out over the sides of the belt.
2. It is impact resistant.
3. It stays closed when you want it closed and opens fast when you when you want it opened. You can even open it one handed.
4. It looks cool.

I have tried several different types of gunbelts. The Ares belt is the stiffest, most comfortable belt I have found. Just keep in mind that it is a GUN belt, not some type of climbing belt that can also hold up a pistol. :D

Edited to add smiley because I am not barking at you. 8-)

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:47 pm 
BANNED

If I wanted a belt I could rapel from, i wouldn't get this one. I know what YOU were talking about, crypto, which is why I pointed out how my belt is, to differentiate.

Regardless, you would still lace your style cobra belt the same. It is very simple. No buckle ever goes through your belt loops.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:11 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Regardless, you would still lace your style cobra belt the same. It is very simple. No buckle ever goes through your belt loops.[/quote]

Okay, I think I'm tracking now. You leave the buckle together to put it on and take it off, and then just punch in and out to get your pants off. I hadnt considered that with the cobra belts, I thought people were just wearing them with tac pants that had really oversized belt loops.

With the Ares belt, all of the adjustment and the real force holding it closed boils down to the velcro backing on the outer webbing right?

How does that velcro hold up over time? It *does* look pretty cool, I've just had velcro get torn up over time, and would be irritated if a $85 belt shat itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next