It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:34 pm 

I thought I saw a post on this somewhere in the Firearms section, but damned if I can find it anywhere..

Doc stressed heavily the importance of a PROPER belt for CC, or supporting a holster at all.

I know that there are several styles of belts on the market, from the webbing style ranger belts with velcro to double thick leather belts. Some are even made by ZS members! What are some of your preferred belts, which do you wear often? Put up some options and opinions (I need a new belt) :mrgreen:

NXP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:16 pm 
BANNED

I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur belt. It's 2 layers of good sturdy leather with a layer of kydex sewn between. It's 1.5" and very freaking stiff. I bought it mainly because I was working at an engineering firm where less-casual dress was preferred.

Now I don't work anywhere where I must wear anything above a tshirt or work-shirt and jeans. I typically wear Carharrt carpenter pants to work, and boots, and am thinking about getting a riggers belt style belt... been losing weight and am about tired of drilling new holes in my Minotaur belt.

Anyways, the Comp Tac is gtg, as far as leather appearance goes. Been rocking it for well over a year, and I'm pretty sure the times I've NOT been carrying can be counted without taking off my shoes.

I like the riggers belt style because it doesn't really appear to be anything special to anyone who isn't "in the know" afaik. It works, it seems comfy enough, and the buckles and length adjustments are more forgiving. No worrying about your ideal size being half-way between two holes on a leather belt... you can adjust the straps as needed. The quick-release buckle is nice, such as on the Cobra I bought for my war-belt. However, it's too big and won't work without the war belt on it, so I can't double-duty with it :(

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Jone's Tactical
http://jonestactical.com/index.php?opti ... 7&Itemid=9

Awesome belt. Had one for quite some time with no deformation.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 pm 

I love my Spec Ops Better BDU belt, 1.75". It's very comfortable and plenty stiff for any carry option. Metal-free and infinitely adjustable too. Best part is you can find them for under $20. Here's a link to ZS's favorite tactical gear site :wink:
http://www.botachtactical.com/spbebdube1.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 am 

For leather belts (what I normally wear) I'm a big fan of Galco. Well made and heavy duty. They offer a number of different styles and buckle types. I've used a bunch of their stuff over the years and been very happy with all of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I got one of these:

Ares Gear Ranger Belt

I love it. It's stiff as hell, but my pants don't sag to one side either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 am 

Leather belts, even the best, will stretch and bleed stain onto clothing.

I have a Wilderness Instructor's Belt that I've been wearing daily for 6 years now. It is just starting to stretch and wear around the edges where it rubs on the buckle when I cinch it down. I bought a spare 3 years ago that has sat new in the package, waiting for this one to give some sign of giving up.

I also have a Blackhawk Rigger's belt that I wore for 3 years until I got the Wilderness version. It also shows little sign of wear.

Nylon is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I use an uncle mikes rigger type belt and a maxpedition liger belt. The liger belts run a bit big but they are great, they don't strech.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm 
BANNED

Dave_M wrote:
Jone's Tactical
http://jonestactical.com/index.php?opti ... 7&Itemid=9

Awesome belt. Had one for quite some time with no deformation.

boo, they list it's available in ATACs but I see no option for it in the order list. Oh well. Maybe later.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:20 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

RatDrall wrote:

Never had one bleed, and if you have a kydex reinforcement they won't stretch.

I have a comptac belt I wore for several years. When I lost weight and needed a new one, I bought a beltman belt. All are double leather w/ kydex between, and are strong and stable, and have never bled onto my clothing. They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
phil_in_cs wrote:
RatDrall wrote:

I have a comptac belt I wore for several years. When I lost weight and needed a new one, I bought a beltman belt. All are double leather w/ kydex between, and are strong and stable, and have never bled onto my clothing. They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.

I've got the Comptac as well, great belt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

http://www.endeavorstitchworks.com

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:45 pm 

RatDrall wrote:

I have a Wilderness Instructor's Belt that I've been wearing daily for 6 years now. It is just starting to stretch and wear around the edges where it rubs on the buckle when I cinch it down. I bought a spare 3 years ago that has sat new in the package, waiting for this one to give some sign of giving up.

I also have a Blackhawk Rigger's belt that I wore for 3 years until I got the Wilderness version. It also shows little sign of wear.

Nylon is the way to go.

I use Milt Sparks belts and the Wilderness Instructors Belt - both VERY good. Never had any bleed problems from the Sparks belts, they are with out a doubt the best fitting belt I've ever worn, I just don't like to use them when I'm doing heavy outdoor work (which is what I'm mostly doing now). I got the Titanium Wilderness, if I get a second one - I may not go with the titanium buckle, nah, I like titanium :)

In any case - 1.5 is plenty wide enough for good support - but you do need a double thick belt to be stiff enough to deal with 3-4 lbs of gun (full size 1911 - starting a build of a pair of titanium frame 4.25" barrel guns -one in 9x23win the other in .45acp)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 pm 
BANNED

TDW586 wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:
RatDrall wrote:

I've got the Comptac as well, great belt.

I've had cheaper belts bleed, but like those guys, never the Comp Tac. I'm pretty sure cheaper belts bleed because of the dyes they use to make the pressed cardboard look more like leather. That's the buzz I've heard.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I have a 1.75" Cobra Gunbelt from endeavor, and I have yet to encounter a pair of pants or slacks that it won't fit on. Maybe if you wear skinny "girl" jeans or something, you'll have trouble, but why limit yourself when it's unnecessary?

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:14 pm 

I've worn a Crossbreed gun belt nearly every day for roughly the last two years. The back side near the buckle holes area is showing some wear, but since no one sees that unless the belt is off, I dont care too much. The color hasn't bled nor has the belt stretched to my knowledge. It looks just like any other belt, the only time anyone has said to me that it doesn't seem like a normal belt was one girl (who didnt know I carry) asked me why I wore such a thick belt. Given that it took her putting her hands on my belt to notice it wasn't like an average belt, I'm not going to consider that a fault of the belt or it's design :lol:

ETA: I've been thinking hard about getting one of those Cobra gun belts from http://endeavorstitchworks.com/, I just can't decide between the 1.5" and the 1.75".

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Greg Focker wrote:
I've worn a Crossbreed gun belt nearly every day for roughly the last two years. The back side near the buckle holes area is showing some wear, but since no one sees that unless the belt is off, I dont care too much. The color hasn't bled nor has the belt stretched to my knowledge. It looks just like any other belt, the only time anyone has said to me that it doesn't seem like a normal belt was one girl (who didnt know I carry) asked me why I wore such a thick belt. Given that it took her putting her hands on my belt to notice it wasn't like an average belt, I'm not going to consider that a fault of the belt or it's design :lol:

ETA: I've been thinking hard about getting one of those Cobra gun belts from http://endeavorstitchworks.com/, I just can't decide between the 1.5" and the 1.75".

Unless you borrow your wife's/mom's/daughter's/gf's pants, or are built like your average Thai, get the 1.75". Khakis, cargos, jeans, slacks, suit pants, all have fit just fine.

Oh and PM or email Kary. He'll help you figure out what you want/need, and will do some custom shit if you want/need it too. Very cool guy.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

If your holsters and mag carriers are 1.5", don't get a 1.75" belt. If you are buying both now, get whatever you want...

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:16 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

[/color]
phil_in_cs wrote:
If your holsters and mag carriers are 1.5", don't get a 1.75" belt. If you are buying both now, get whatever you want...

I kind of thought that was a given, but definitely worth saying. Easy to forget that!

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:
They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.

That's an important point for me. While I prefer the look and feel of leather I do own other synthetic belts that I wear as well. The rigger type belts just don't work well with slacks and a button down shirt or a suit though as you'd look like a total doofus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm 

I usually am wearing a wilderness or 5.11 instructors belt. Both have served me well and put up with all kinds of loads from none to damn near battle belt. I fluctuate in weight a lot, so the latch/velcro system is great IMHO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:00 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Ares Gear Ranger Belt:

Yeah, thats my belt, loaded full sized G21 with weapon light, zero roll over what so ever.

I am not a fan of the Jones Tactical because I'm not a fan of stolen intellectual property.

If you don't want to deal with the waiting list by going through Ares Gear directly, odds are you can find Ranger belts in stock at Grey Group or Larue,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I have a Comp-tac belt and a Ares belt. They both work very well. The Comp-tac is dressier, but the Ares works better when you will get muddy. If you are out of doors all the time get the Ares. If you work in a office get the Comp-tac. If you are a weekend warrior get both.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
Ares Gear Ranger Belt:

[img...

Yeah, thats my belt, loaded full sized G21 with weapon light, zero roll over what so ever.

I am not a fan of the Jones Tactical because I'm not a fan of stolen intellectual property.

If you don't want to deal with the waiting list by going through Ares Gear directly, odds are you can find Ranger belts in stock at Grey Group or Larue,

Who was the intellectual property allegedly stolen from?