It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:34 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:33 pm
Posts: 2690
Location: EWI
I thought I saw a post on this somewhere in the Firearms section, but damned if I can find it anywhere..

Doc stressed heavily the importance of a PROPER belt for CC, or supporting a holster at all.

I know that there are several styles of belts on the market, from the webbing style ranger belts with velcro to double thick leather belts. Some are even made by ZS members! What are some of your preferred belts, which do you wear often? Put up some options and opinions (I need a new belt) :mrgreen:

NXP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:16 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 9407
Location: Lafayette, LA
I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur belt. It's 2 layers of good sturdy leather with a layer of kydex sewn between. It's 1.5" and very freaking stiff. I bought it mainly because I was working at an engineering firm where less-casual dress was preferred.

Now I don't work anywhere where I must wear anything above a tshirt or work-shirt and jeans. I typically wear Carharrt carpenter pants to work, and boots, and am thinking about getting a riggers belt style belt... been losing weight and am about tired of drilling new holes in my Minotaur belt.

Anyways, the Comp Tac is gtg, as far as leather appearance goes. Been rocking it for well over a year, and I'm pretty sure the times I've NOT been carrying can be counted without taking off my shoes.

I like the riggers belt style because it doesn't really appear to be anything special to anyone who isn't "in the know" afaik. It works, it seems comfy enough, and the buckles and length adjustments are more forgiving. No worrying about your ideal size being half-way between two holes on a leather belt... you can adjust the straps as needed. The quick-release buckle is nice, such as on the Cobra I bought for my war-belt. However, it's too big and won't work without the war belt on it, so I can't double-duty with it :(

_________________
gravediggerfour wrote:
If you don’t know what your talking about don’t lead people, especially new people, astray.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 15497
Location: Ohio
Jone's Tactical
http://jonestactical.com/index.php?opti ... 7&Itemid=9

Awesome belt. Had one for quite some time with no deformation.

_________________
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm
Posts: 4176
Location: VT
I love my Spec Ops Better BDU belt, 1.75". It's very comfortable and plenty stiff for any carry option. Metal-free and infinitely adjustable too. Best part is you can find them for under $20. Here's a link to ZS's favorite tactical gear site :wink:
http://www.botachtactical.com/spbebdube1.html

_________________
docdredd wrote:
those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:16 pm
Posts: 670
Location: Kansas City, MO
For leather belts (what I normally wear) I'm a big fan of Galco. Well made and heavy duty. They offer a number of different styles and buckle types. I've used a bunch of their stuff over the years and been very happy with all of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am
Posts: 2150
I got one of these:

Ares Gear Ranger Belt
Image

I love it. It's stiff as hell, but my pants don't sag to one side either.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 am 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:43 pm
Posts: 647
Leather belts, even the best, will stretch and bleed stain onto clothing.

I have a Wilderness Instructor's Belt that I've been wearing daily for 6 years now. It is just starting to stretch and wear around the edges where it rubs on the buckle when I cinch it down. I bought a spare 3 years ago that has sat new in the package, waiting for this one to give some sign of giving up.

I also have a Blackhawk Rigger's belt that I wore for 3 years until I got the Wilderness version. It also shows little sign of wear.

Nylon is the way to go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Front Range, Colorado
I use an uncle mikes rigger type belt and a maxpedition liger belt. The liger belts run a bit big but they are great, they don't strech.

_________________
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 9407
Location: Lafayette, LA
Dave_M wrote:
Jone's Tactical
http://jonestactical.com/index.php?opti ... 7&Itemid=9

Awesome belt. Had one for quite some time with no deformation.

boo, they list it's available in ATACs but I see no option for it in the order list. Oh well. Maybe later.

_________________
gravediggerfour wrote:
If you don’t know what your talking about don’t lead people, especially new people, astray.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Posts: 11401
Location: central tx
RatDrall wrote:
Leather belts, even the best, will stretch and bleed stain onto clothing.


Never had one bleed, and if you have a kydex reinforcement they won't stretch.

I have a comptac belt I wore for several years. When I lost weight and needed a new one, I bought a beltman belt. All are double leather w/ kydex between, and are strong and stable, and have never bled onto my clothing. They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.

_________________
Image

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Posts: 8763
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
phil_in_cs wrote:
RatDrall wrote:
Leather belts, even the best, will stretch and bleed stain onto clothing.


Never had one bleed, and if you have a kydex reinforcement they won't stretch.

I have a comptac belt I wore for several years. When I lost weight and needed a new one, I bought a beltman belt. All are double leather w/ kydex between, and are strong and stable, and have never bled onto my clothing. They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.



I've got the Comptac as well, great belt.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
http://www.endeavorstitchworks.com

Image

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:51 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Pacific North WET
RatDrall wrote:
Leather belts, even the best, will stretch and bleed stain onto clothing.

I have a Wilderness Instructor's Belt that I've been wearing daily for 6 years now. It is just starting to stretch and wear around the edges where it rubs on the buckle when I cinch it down. I bought a spare 3 years ago that has sat new in the package, waiting for this one to give some sign of giving up.

I also have a Blackhawk Rigger's belt that I wore for 3 years until I got the Wilderness version. It also shows little sign of wear.

Nylon is the way to go.


I use Milt Sparks belts and the Wilderness Instructors Belt - both VERY good. Never had any bleed problems from the Sparks belts, they are with out a doubt the best fitting belt I've ever worn, I just don't like to use them when I'm doing heavy outdoor work (which is what I'm mostly doing now). I got the Titanium Wilderness, if I get a second one - I may not go with the titanium buckle, nah, I like titanium :)

In any case - 1.5 is plenty wide enough for good support - but you do need a double thick belt to be stiff enough to deal with 3-4 lbs of gun (full size 1911 - starting a build of a pair of titanium frame 4.25" barrel guns -one in 9x23win the other in .45acp)

_________________
I CAN do it. Doesn't mean I should, or will.
I think Life has treated me better than I've treated it, and I regret that. Can't change the past but I can affect the future. (--me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 9407
Location: Lafayette, LA
TDW586 wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:
RatDrall wrote:
Leather belts, even the best, will stretch and bleed stain onto clothing.


Never had one bleed, and if you have a kydex reinforcement they won't stretch.

I have a comptac belt I wore for several years. When I lost weight and needed a new one, I bought a beltman belt. All are double leather w/ kydex between, and are strong and stable, and have never bled onto my clothing. They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.



I've got the Comptac as well, great belt.

I've had cheaper belts bleed, but like those guys, never the Comp Tac. I'm pretty sure cheaper belts bleed because of the dyes they use to make the pressed cardboard look more like leather. That's the buzz I've heard.

_________________
gravediggerfour wrote:
If you don’t know what your talking about don’t lead people, especially new people, astray.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
I have a 1.75" Cobra Gunbelt from endeavor, and I have yet to encounter a pair of pants or slacks that it won't fit on. Maybe if you wear skinny "girl" jeans or something, you'll have trouble, but why limit yourself when it's unnecessary?

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 am
Posts: 2151
Location: Ohio
I've worn a Crossbreed gun belt nearly every day for roughly the last two years. The back side near the buckle holes area is showing some wear, but since no one sees that unless the belt is off, I dont care too much. The color hasn't bled nor has the belt stretched to my knowledge. It looks just like any other belt, the only time anyone has said to me that it doesn't seem like a normal belt was one girl (who didnt know I carry) asked me why I wore such a thick belt. Given that it took her putting her hands on my belt to notice it wasn't like an average belt, I'm not going to consider that a fault of the belt or it's design :lol:

ETA: I've been thinking hard about getting one of those Cobra gun belts from http://endeavorstitchworks.com/, I just can't decide between the 1.5" and the 1.75".

_________________
Image

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
Greg Focker wrote:
I've worn a Crossbreed gun belt nearly every day for roughly the last two years. The back side near the buckle holes area is showing some wear, but since no one sees that unless the belt is off, I dont care too much. The color hasn't bled nor has the belt stretched to my knowledge. It looks just like any other belt, the only time anyone has said to me that it doesn't seem like a normal belt was one girl (who didnt know I carry) asked me why I wore such a thick belt. Given that it took her putting her hands on my belt to notice it wasn't like an average belt, I'm not going to consider that a fault of the belt or it's design :lol:

ETA: I've been thinking hard about getting one of those Cobra gun belts from http://endeavorstitchworks.com/, I just can't decide between the 1.5" and the 1.75".


Unless you borrow your wife's/mom's/daughter's/gf's pants, or are built like your average Thai, get the 1.75". Khakis, cargos, jeans, slacks, suit pants, all have fit just fine.

Oh and PM or email Kary. He'll help you figure out what you want/need, and will do some custom shit if you want/need it too. Very cool guy.

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Posts: 11401
Location: central tx
If your holsters and mag carriers are 1.5", don't get a 1.75" belt. If you are buying both now, get whatever you want...

_________________
Image

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
[/color]
phil_in_cs wrote:
If your holsters and mag carriers are 1.5", don't get a 1.75" belt. If you are buying both now, get whatever you want...


I kind of thought that was a given, but definitely worth saying. Easy to forget that!

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:16 pm
Posts: 670
Location: Kansas City, MO
phil_in_cs wrote:
They look nice too, which is important for my working environment.


That's an important point for me. While I prefer the look and feel of leather I do own other synthetic belts that I wear as well. The rigger type belts just don't work well with slacks and a button down shirt or a suit though as you'd look like a total doofus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:10 pm
Posts: 51
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
I usually am wearing a wilderness or 5.11 instructors belt. Both have served me well and put up with all kinds of loads from none to damn near battle belt. I fluctuate in weight a lot, so the latch/velcro system is great IMHO

_________________
http://www.tcbfirearms.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 1283
Location: Richmond, VA
Ares Gear Ranger Belt:

Image

Yeah, thats my belt, loaded full sized G21 with weapon light, zero roll over what so ever.

I am not a fan of the Jones Tactical because I'm not a fan of stolen intellectual property.

If you don't want to deal with the waiting list by going through Ares Gear directly, odds are you can find Ranger belts in stock at Grey Group or Larue,

_________________
Image
I NICE PERSON I NO WANT TO DEAD MAKE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am
Posts: 1209
Location: Augusta Georgia
I have a Comp-tac belt and a Ares belt. They both work very well. The Comp-tac is dressier, but the Ares works better when you will get muddy. If you are out of doors all the time get the Ares. If you work in a office get the Comp-tac. If you are a weekend warrior get both.

_________________
Image

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 am 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 69
Unorthodox wrote:
Ares Gear Ranger Belt:

[img...

Yeah, thats my belt, loaded full sized G21 with weapon light, zero roll over what so ever.

I am not a fan of the Jones Tactical because I'm not a fan of stolen intellectual property.

If you don't want to deal with the waiting list by going through Ares Gear directly, odds are you can find Ranger belts in stock at Grey Group or Larue,


Who was the intellectual property allegedly stolen from?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group