Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 am 

I hope this is the right section for the question... if not, please move.

I've run across a Sporterized 8mm Mauser. Non German. Described as a "7 out of 10" rifle. That's all I know about it. I haven't seen it yet, I was told to make an offer. I hate to lowball this guy as I do some business with with him,.. but I have no idea what a solid and fair offer would be. I know shit all about Mausers.

So, what's a good ball park value to start negotiations?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 am 

brothaman wrote:
I hope this is the right section for the question... if not, please move.

I've run across a Sporterized 8mm Mauser. Non German. Described as a "7 out of 10" rifle. That's all I know about it. I haven't seen it yet, I was told to make an offer. I hate to lowball this guy as I do some business with with him,.. but I have no idea what a solid and fair offer would be. I know shit all about Mausers.

So, what's a good ball park value to start negotiations?

Make sure you check the bore, and rifling, if its shinny not to much to worry about, also make sure there is no pitting on the inside of the bore and outside of the barrel. Also depends on how its been "sporterized" was it bubba'd I.E. they left the orginal furniture on it, then cut it down to look like a "hunting rifle"

Any markings,stamps, or proof marks? As well as check the serial numbers, are they all matching from the trigger guard to the chamber, to the bore, to the barrel. Matching serial numbers are a good thing, and you can look up the proof marks easy enough on the net. But they wont affect the weapon value much having been sporterized.

Also it really depends on if any of that matters to you in this case. I paid little under 300 for a Sporterized 8mm Mauser, 1942, with matching serial numbers that had been removed from its orginal furniture and placed in a custom stock. But I also received over 500 Rounds of 8mm soft nose rounds in the deal.

If the condition of the barrel/rifling/chamber are in good repair and the way its been sportized wasnt butchered I'd start at 150 Dollars, I would not go over 250 to 300 Dollars depending on those details as you can find orginal Mausers in pretty good shape in a lot of cases from 300 to 500 dollars that aren't sporterized.

- Size doesn't matter. Its all about shot placement. -

Semper Fi.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:23 pm 

I got a nice 8mm (98/22) with a very nice - restored military stock for 100 USD. The stock was nice, the rifle was not. After cleaning/striping/refinishing, it looks nice, but still has a nearly 30 inch barrel length.

The market was flooded with so-called surplus Turk Mauser rifles a few years ago, so knowing what model you are looking at will make a huge difference.

G98/98-22/Vz 24 and the K98 are all 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser) - and all have far different price points....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:42 am 

With a cut down/sportered stock...if everything else is nice, I wouldn't go over $150. Sporterized military rifles have no collector value, only utilitarian, or potentially sentimental value. Depending on the type of Mauser getting a replacement stock from the correct country of manufacture may be a bit of a task.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 am 

Thanks for the info, Fellas.

Everything mentioned pretty much confirms what I was feeling about the gun. I'll take a look at it this week. I think I have enough info not insult the guy or get screwed in the deal either. I may go $200 just to stay friendly with the guy, but I'll be aiming aiming for $100 to $150
My main interest in the gun is its popularity for cartridge conversions. Barrels are cheap enough for these. I found .308 barrels for $100 with a lock ring to adjust head space. Tons of other stuff available, too. It may be a fun and hopefully cheap project.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 am 

Mauser actions do make good sporter platforms. There are places that sell just the action...typically around $100, sometimes less I think. Deffinitely so if you can find some on local buy/sell boards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I spotted some South American Mausers already converted to .308 for 200 or so somewhere. It might wave been Centerfire Systems.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:41 pm 

brothaman wrote:

Everything mentioned pretty much confirms what I was feeling about the gun. I'll take a look at it this week. I think I have enough info not insult the guy or get screwed in the deal either. I may go $200 just to stay friendly with the guy, but I'll be aiming aiming for $100 to $150
My main interest in the gun is its popularity for cartridge conversions. Barrels are cheap enough for these. I found .308 barrels for $100 with a lock ring to adjust head space. Tons of other stuff available, too. It may be a fun and hopefully cheap project.

Cost to drill and tap for a scope, a scope, new barrel, etc.

Why not look for a used Mauser already set up for scope and rings... and save the difference? You dough, your choice. But you should do the math first, to avoid leg pain later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 am 

WEEEEELLLLLLLLL,... evidently this thing was crafted by the dragon-unicorns and used to execute the gods of old.

At $450, I politely declined. I love people. :clownshoes:

However, now I'm feelin' the gun lust.

TO THE PAWN SHOP!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 pm 

brothaman wrote:
WEEEEELLLLLLLLL,... evidently this thing was crafted by the dragon-unicorns and used to execute the gods of old.

TO THE PAWN SHOP!

O.O $450 bucks? was it gold plated?

- Size doesn't matter. Its all about shot placement. -

Semper Fi.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Lex1785 wrote:
brothaman wrote:

TO THE PAWN SHOP!

O.O $450 bucks? was it gold plated?

Hahaha. $450 for what's likely a cut up Yugo/Turk? Oh my.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 am 

Well,... I ended up with a Mauser anyway in the aftermath of the $450 debacle.

This morning a guy a my local breakfast spot came up to me with "I heard ol' So-and-So tried to burn you on some old junk rifle..." and he laughed (within ear shot of Mr Mauser, of course). It turns out this guy had an old Mauser he wanted to get rid of and had brought it with him. Bolt was good and tight, bore looked good as far as I could see.... over all it looked decent, just a bit used looking. Still a sporterized gun,.. really lightweight, too.

I ask what he'd take for it, He said "$100 and you buy my breakfast". I passed the man a Benjamin and bought him a biscuit.

I was never really in the market for a Mauser, but it's funny how these thing work out. I'll have to get a pic up later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 am 

brothaman wrote:
Well,... I ended up with a Mauser anyway in the aftermath of the $450 debacle.

This morning a guy a my local breakfast spot came up to me with "I heard ol' So-and-So tried to burn you on some old junk rifle..." and he laughed (within ear shot of Mr Mauser, of course). It turns out this guy had an old Mauser he wanted to get rid of and had brought it with him. Bolt was good and tight, bore looked good as far as I could see.... over all it looked decent, just a bit used looking. Still a sporterized gun,.. really lightweight, too.

I ask what he'd take for it, He said "$100 and you buy my breakfast". I passed the man a Benjamin and bought him a biscuit.

I was never really in the market for a Mauser, but it's funny how these thing work out. I'll have to get a pic up later.

As they say in soccer
"SSSSSSSssssssssssccccccccoooooooorrrrrr!!!!"

So, is it an 8mm?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 pm 

TacAir wrote:
So, is it an 8mm?

GAAAHHHH!! No. Its a 1891 Argentine... That's what I get for jumping in blind.

However,.. I did find detailed info on resizing 30-06 brass for the 7.65 Arg. and using .311 bullet. I have some of this stuff already. I should just need a set of dies and I'll be ready to shoot. I can't research the ammo cost at work, sites are blocked. Maybe its cheap enough. The rifle itself is pretty tight. Bore looks shiny. I'm still stoked.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:40 pm 

brothaman wrote:
TacAir wrote:
So, is it an 8mm?

However,.. I did find detailed info on resizing 30-06 brass for the 7.65 Arg. and using .311 bullet. I have some of this stuff already. I should just need a set of dies and I'll be ready to shoot. I can't research the ammo cost at work, sites are blocked. Maybe its cheap enough. The rifle itself is pretty tight. Bore looks shiny. I'm still stoked.

I believe Hornady makes 7.65 Argentine Mauser ammo in their Metric caliber line.

Still, that's a pretty good score for 100 bucks and a biscuit, dude.

ETA: Sportsman's Guide has the Hornady 7.65 Argentine ammo for about 28 bucks a box and PPU 7.65 Argentine for around 17 or 18 bucks a box.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:46 pm 

I know around here one of the local shops will reload for a caliber if you ask nicely. Maybe someone in your AO does the same. TX_kingfisher gets his 1891 reloads from there and AFAIK they're all good to go. I buy quality .223 and 9mm Mak JHPs from the place for a reasonable price and I've never had a problem.

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:50 pm 

brothaman wrote:
TacAir wrote:
So, is it an 8mm?

LOL
Try finding 6.5 Jap for less than 5 USD/round. Or reloading dies for less than an arm/leg.

Still, at 100 USD, you could spend for a barrel in a more common caliber.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 pm 

Buy Prvi in 7,65 and save the cases to load later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 am 

Lee has the dies for it at their standard rate. I think I might like the 7.65 Arg. Stats look like a 303 Brit. Uses the same bullets as a 303.

...Imagine,.. a 303 that doesn't destroy brass?...

Numrichs has barrel kits to rebarrel Mausers to 7.62x39. Not sure if any will work with the 1891. This gun in x39 would be nice for my daughters to shoot.

I'd like to rebarrel to something like 243 or 308 but I'm not sure that this gun can handle the pressure. I've read a lot of conflicting info on the strength of the action. I've also read that I'll need to slug the barrel to double check the bore size. Evidently it not uncommon to find one with a bore of .310 or a hair less. Then I could load .308 dia bullet. A 110-125 grain bullet might take a bit of kick out of it for my ladies to shoot. If the bore is closer to .308, I might just rechamber to 30-06 and load light bullets and on the short end of the reload chart. The '06 route is likely the best and cheapest way to go in the end.

..Actually,.. I think I've just made my decision. If I can load .308 bullets,... it will stay as is. If I can't then I might change up. I really hate to stock another caliber if I don't have to. I already have a good stock of .308 cal bulletd in 110 125 150 and 180 grain.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 pm 

7.65 is a seriously under-rated round. In an 1891 mauser I wouldn't load it with max loads, though the Argentines did use the same cartridges in it as they used in their later 1909 98-varient mausers. Modern commercial loads can be had from Prvi and Hornady. Brass is about the same as most other rifie cases. If you really want, you can cut down .30-06 brass to make it. I have, simply because nobody used to make it for less than the cost of a testicle. Now it is easy find. In terms of power, the 1891 version would be between a .303 British and a .308. The later spitzer load is between a .308 and a .30-06. If you want to convert it to something else, I would recommend something in the same pressure envelope as the other small-ring mausers. The 7.62x39 would work, but you may need to do some work on the bolt face or extractor to get it to work. The threading on the receiver is also different than later small-ring mausers. Truthfully, you may just be better off leaving the caliber as is and reloading for it. You can also find places online that make supplimental chambers for it that let you shoot .32 ACP or .32 S&W Long cartridges out of it for plinking.

-Mb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am 

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:
You can also find places online that make supplimental chambers for it that let you shoot .32 ACP or .32 S&W Long cartridges out of it for plinking.
-Mb

I've only only found the chamber adapters to x39 for 308 and '06. If I could find an adapter for x39 to fit the 7.65 Argy chamber, I'd be all over it. The single stack mag would be an easy conversion. I need to contact MCA to see if they'd make me a Stainless adapter. I'm shooting a 308 Enfield with an x39 adapter. It has a coated steel adapter and the steel surplus x39 like to stick to it. I think the stainless would operate better. I really like x39 in the Enfield, but I'm still working on the mag and have started on the ejection. I think this Mauser is a much better candidate for the x39 conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 am 

brothaman wrote:

About 20 years or so ago I bought a Sporterized Mauser used, nice job, original military stock was used to make the conversion stock, and the barrel contour had been turned down to take out the steps..I probably paid around $180 IIRC. Now they're getting a tad more scarce, I'd say as long as you keep it under $200 you're probably getting a deal, plus, once you have the Reciever in hand, you can always re-barrel and stock it down the line if you want to take it to the next level.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 am 

MCA has a chamber adapter for doing 7.65 arg to X39. I love shooting cheap! Decision made.

End of thread as far as I'm concerned.

I'll post a range report when it get everything setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

K-Var has Yugo 8mm (unborked) for $280. Just FYI.