My Inheritance (pictures added)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Alright, I'm guessing this is the best place, if a mod feels this belongs in "Initial Firearms Prepping", so be it.

I've been saying for a few months now "I'm inheriting my dad's guns soon," and I'm sure everyone's as tired of reading it as I am of typing it. But today waiting in the mail for me, was the final piece of paperwork saying I could legally transport the collection to my apartment.

So here's the backstory;

My parents divorced earlier than I can remember. My dad didn't have much involvement in my life, occasional visitations that he often skipped, and more than once, years of my childhood passed between me hearing from, or seeing him. As a preteen though, my dad shared a hobby with me and my younger half-brother, firearms. We would get up early in the morning, and spend the whole day at the range, just us guys. I remember around age 10 sitting around on some couches at the range listening as the members debated capital punishment, I wish they'd had a no politics rule :roll:. Spending father-son time at the range was great, but it didn't really make up for years of not seeing my dad.

By age 12, I'd written him off as a deadbeat. I was alright, after all, my mom remarried when I was 7, and my stepdad's been a great figure for me. I went through high school telling myself I would do everything I could not to turn out like him. I still wanted guns though, maybe I could just make it my thing, not let it be something he shared with me.

By May 2011, I hadn't seen my dad for over 8 years, and I never will again. His death was violent, and the details don't need to muck up this thread. When I found out he was dead, I wasn't sure what to think of it, and I probably still don't. At the funeral, details started to come out about what my dad had been up too over the past few years. Shortly after his second wife left him, he was charged with "improper storage of a firearm", the judge apparently went easy on him, and told him if he gave the guns away for a year (to a family member or friend), he wouldn't have to terminate his firearms license. My Uncle, was able to find a good home for them with a friend. A year later my dad had moved to Northern Ontario, and didn't have much to his name. I'm not sure if he had forgotten he had the guns, or didn't want to collect them because he was afraid he might sell them for something he needed, but they remained in storage. After his death, things were obviously tied up for a long time.

At this time I didn't even know my dad still owned any firearms. I had assumed he would have sold them to make ends meet a long time ago. I decided later, I would finally follow up with getting my firearms license, choose to remember my father for the good thing we shared, and not the years we didn't. I was in a tight spot for money, but I scrapped up enough cash over a few months to take the courses required. About a week before I got my license in the mail, my mom phoned me to ask if I had purchased any firearms yet, and then explained my uncle was looking for someone to take this collection. It's only taken half a year since that phone call(I'm guessing this is what happens when you deal with guys so close to retirement :lol: ), but by next weekend I can collect the lot.

Now here's where I need help, I need to negotiate how my brother and I will split the collection. With that said, there's a chance he will never get off his ass to get the licensing, and I'm not giving him any of them if it's not legal. What I want to do, is split them evenly based on $$$, if my brother needs financial assistance to get his licensing, I can sell ones off of his list for him, and give him the money so he can get a license and take the rest.

So those who wish to participate, please break the firearms into what you would consider two lists of equal value, and if you wouldn't mind, list the firearms in order of your preference 1 being: I absolutely must have that one and 20 being: Whatever.

The list:
Rifles and Shotguns
Cooey/60
Lee-Enfield/Sporter
Stevens/311A
Thompson Center/Scout Carbine
IGA/Side By Side
Remington/870 Wingmaster
Mossberg/42B
Cooey/82
Winchester/100
Winchester/1400 Ranger
Lakefield 64B

Handguns
Sauer/Western Six Shooter
Smith&Wesson/17
Smith&Wesson/686
Smith&Wesson/622
Ruger/Redhawk
Ruger/New Model Super Blackhawk
Colt/Government Mk IV series 80
Colt/Gold Cup National Match Mk IV Series 80
High Standard/Supermatic Citation 104

P.S. Things to account for:
I've wanted a 686 as long as I've been looking at handguns, that bitch is mine.
The Ruger Blackhawk may have belonged to my dad's second wife's family and thus, it defaults to my brother if this is the case.

P.P.S. 1000.

Picture Update!

Here's the good stuff. Picked them up last night, slowly sorting through and cleaning them. Some are in great condition, some are far from it. If anyone wants more pictures of a specific gun, just ask.

Long guns are pictured in order as listed above, left to right.

And the handguns are all here too.

Left Column: two Colts above two Rugers, and the Sig six shooter under that.
Right Column: S&W17, 686, high standard, S&W 622

So far I've played with them all a bit, the Enfield is a tank, the Mossberg is in the worst condition of the lot (to my limited experience), but it's still a very comfortable gun.

My brother doesn't want any sold, which means it might be a while before he is able to get his license and take some off my hands. My safe is over capacity by one, so I wrapped the mossberg in a towel and made it fit. I'll be happy when I'm able to unload a few of them to my brother.
Last edited by BullOnParade on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

xLionx

Re: My Inheritance (pictures soon, I hope)[Need advice as we

Post by xLionx » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:15 pm

you could find out howmuch it's all worth and give him half of that much money, if he doesn't want the guns or license to get them, then you could keep what you want and sell off what you don't want to pay him or comeup with the money to pay him and keep them all

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:33 pm

A better way might be to do a "pick up" selection. Rather than make a list each of you select one till they are all gone. One way is to give the guy who chooses second two choices. Since condition is quite important for guns it is difficult to say how much they are worth. Also I have no idea what is valuable in the Canadian market.

If I had to choose off that list (assuming same condition of all) I would pick in order:
Smith&Wesson/686
Ruger/Redhawk
Smith&Wesson/17
Smith&Wesson/622

The long guns don't excite me much. But out of those I would want the old 870 Wingmaster as these are pretty good. The rest are mostly low end .22s and shotguns that make good little trainers and niche guns but don't have much value.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:54 am

Blacksmith wrote:A better way might be to do a "pick up" selection. Rather than make a list each of you select one till they are all gone. One way is to give the guy who chooses second two choices. Since condition is quite important for guns it is difficult to say how much they are worth. Also I have no idea what is valuable in the Canadian market.

If I had to choose off that list (assuming same condition of all) I would pick in order:
Smith&Wesson/686
Ruger/Redhawk
Smith&Wesson/17
Smith&Wesson/622

The long guns don't excite me much. But out of those I would want the old 870 Wingmaster as these are pretty good. The rest are mostly low end .22s and shotguns that make good little trainers and niche guns but don't have much value.
I had thought about this, but I was concerned about things not working out equally, and I initially talked myself out of it because I didn't know what the guns were, conditions, etc. I was concerned my brother would have had a few years experience handling each firearm, and know which ones were of more value. Now that they are going to be in my apartment for a while, this is less of a concern, besides the fact I don't want to have them around long enough to thoroughly use each at the range.
xLionx wrote:you could find out howmuch it's all worth and give him half of that much money, if he doesn't want the guns or license to get them, then you could keep what you want and sell off what you don't want to pay him or comeup with the money to pay him and keep them all
It's an option, sort of. If I were to keep the majority of them, it would be the higher end handguns, and a few of the rifles. If I can assume the handguns are of equal value, not NIB, but at least very good condition, I could price half the value of the collection well out of my price range, based on 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms.

BullOnParade

mcfroggin

My Inheritance (pictures soon, I hope)[Need advice as well]

Post by mcfroggin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:51 am

Congrats on the loot. I like your idea of making your bro get a license. Appraising each gun though will be a hassle. I'd just flip a coin and start picking.
http://www.RichAsChocolate.com My personal finance blog. I do not sell products or services.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: My Inheritance (pictures added)

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Bump to share the glory of pictures.
BullOnParade

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Another thing that came with the guns was three small toolboxes with ammo.
I just counted through one and it holds:
9mm Jacketed x 84
9mm soft x 101
9mm brass x 25
.45 Jacketed x 51
.45 soft x 14
9mm 1911 mag x 1
.45 1911 mag x 5
small ziplock bag of misc brass

I know all of these are reloads, Is there anything special I should be aware of before firing them off? I won't really know if my dad loaded them hot, or for targets. Though I should be able to assume he would have loaded them for targets, as that's all we can legally shoot with a handgun in the great white north, I've known my father to do stranger things.

I hope to go through at least one more toolbox tomorrow, I know one's all shot shells and a bit of long gun brass, the other is a few hundred rounds of .38, but I want to see how much I have.
BullOnParade

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Nice collection there. Have you gone out and tried any of them out yet? Silverdale is about an hour west of Toronto. $20 gets you a vistor pass on weekends. I've been a member there for several years now and it's a great club. Annual membership is about $240 per year.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:20 am

I don't know if I'd shoot reloads that you found laying in a tool box, if you don't know how hot they are loaded, or if you aren't sure how responsible your dad was- or in what kind of shape - when he made them.

That may just be my paranoia. I don't reload myself (saving up for a press, I need to learn how) and I've heard horror stories about other people getting burned by "gun show reloads" and etc. Not sure how reasonable my apprehension is, but it would keep me from shooting those rounds.

I had a dad similar to yours - nice guy, fun to do certain things with, but not reliable or responsible, or consistently around. Fell on hard times due to alcoholism and poor judgment. Parents divorced when I was 6, got a stepdad at 12, like'em both. Glad I wasn't stuck with just one or the other.

You say your brother isn't motivated to get his firearms license any time soon, is he actually interested in owning or using any of the guns? If not, he might be just as happy or happier with cash equal to half the appraised value of the firearms. If you can swing it, do what others have suggested and offer to buy him out.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 pm

My brother doesn't want any of the firearms sold. He is interested in them, but I think it's a financial barrier for him at the moment ($200+ for the course)

As far as the reloads go, I'll sit on them for a while, what kind of dangers am I looking at? Would they be safer fired in a pistol, where the mag could be blown out the magwell?

And as far as the box of .38 special, there were almost 750 shells, 300 in boxes, almost all were wad cutters, maybe two dozen semi wad cutters, all lead. The last tool box had ~75 16 gauge shot shells, including 5 slugs.
BullOnParade

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:37 pm

:shock:
:gonk:

My condolences, and niccee.

I have to agree with what was said earlier, the 1911's and the wheelguns are indeed what get my panties in a twist. What condition does most of everything seem to be in?

I've got about the same story minus the ending and plus a grandad. Left the family with his secretary, all that rubbish. Most of his stuff is hunting arms, but hes also got a match M1 he bought as brand new surplus when he was a kid after WW2, which he says is mine, and a few pistols, none of which I recall being very exciting other than a fairly cherry Luger. He says hes got a loaded gun in every room though. We shall see. Did I mention there is also a 26 ft sailboat, a powered glider, and an El Camino? And that all the loot he claims is to be split evenly between the three grandsons from his three children?

Yeah fun times.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 am

KentsOkay wrote: Yeah fun times.
You said it, brother. Do you know if your grandfather has a will and testament together? It would make things a lot easier on the family, I'm sure. In the same breath, I wonder if my father had had a will, if I would have been in it. Regardless, I wasn't expecting anything from him, let alone a modest collection.

Mantis, I realized I hadn't replied to you in my last post: I haven't fired any yet, just dry fired some of the centerfires. I picked up some snap caps so I could play with the .22s as well. I'm looking at the Toronto Revolver Club, annual dues are $200, and a $500 application fee. They're south of st. Clair, west of Victoria parkway. Downfall there is it's only a handgun club, so I can't shoot any rifles there, which isn't a problem unless I buy a restricted rifle. The rest I can fire at my parents house.
BullOnParade

423aaron

Post by 423aaron » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 am

BullOnParade wrote:As far as the reloads go, I'll sit on them for a while, what kind of dangers am I looking at? Would they be safer fired in a pistol, where the mag could be blown out the magwell?

You may not be in any danger or it could blow up the gun.... or somewhere in between. That's the thing. If you do not know who reloaded them and what their habits were you fall in that field. I do not shoot reloads from individuals I do not know and trust in their methods.

Sitting on them is not a bad idea. You can think of them as "last ditch ammo" or you can pull them apart for the components and learn to reload them yourself.

Aaron
No greater expression of liberty than the report of a RIFLE!

Just trying to keep this life from becoming "Nasty, Brutish, and Short".

http://www.skillgarden.net

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”