ZS sidearms of choice in PAW/SHTF

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chrisw

ZS sidearms of choice in PAW/SHTF

Post by chrisw » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 am

I know there already is a zs hot or not thread, but what I am curious about is what people would have as their sidearm/handgun. Assuming that you could not always have a hand on an m4/ak if you are using both hands for some other task in a survival situation, what would be on your hip? Please post with pictures only and if you have your holster setup handy you can include that as well. I'll start.

I would be with my girl and I would probably give her the glock 19 as the ergonomics and simplicity of use are good for her and I would use the ruger p89 as my sidearm. The only hosters that I have other than IWB holsters are cheapo nylon ones that I bought as car gun holsters, so that would be it if it happened today, but in an ideal world I would have blackhawk serpa cqc for both by then.

mine:

and hers:

and the 19 with mags in mag pouches:

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: ZS sidearms of choice in PAW/SHTF

Post by Hoppy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 am

welll. the glocks a good choice!

thats a nice stock up on mags on both!
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 am

I would take my SA XD9. I have about 10 mags for it and enough ammo for abit.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

chrisw

Post by chrisw » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:15 am

I believe that having that many mags should be standard. After use they can wear out or break altogether so having backups should be important. I know the glock is a solid no brainer, but the ruger is a very rugged design as well capable of taking a beating and still keep going.

do you guys have pics of your guns and holsters?

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:10 am

Hoppy wrote:welll. the glocks a good choice!

Waiiiiitttttt a minute, I think he has 2 promag mags for the P89....
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:38 am

If and when it happens I will most likely be carrying my daily EDC handguns, a S&W 325PD, a S&W Model 12, and a Colt Detective Special. I carry 4 reloads for the two 38s and 4 for the 45acp. The 45 is always carried strong side in a Don Hume JIT, another JIT worn crossdraw holds either the Model 12 or the Colt while the third is in a pocket. I will at times leave one of the revolvers at home and carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in a Kramer Confidential T-shirt or similar carry T.

On the odd occasion I will carry my H&K P7M8 in a Null Custom horsehide holster with the PF9 worn crossdraw in a JIT.

And in my BOB there is my CZ 52. Why the CZ? In a word...penetration, and it is the same caliber as the carbine that is also in the BOB, a PPSh41. The penetration of this round is great enough it will punch through the standard issue kevlar helmet, not many other handgun rounds will do that.

I didn't want to dig all the mags out of the safe but the PF9 is the only semi auto I don't have 10+ mags for.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:35 am

I'd just go with what I have the most of, BHP's and/or Glocks. I'm better with the BHP's just due to the sheer amount of practice I've had with them, so that's probably what I would use while I'd give my wife one of the Glocks.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 am

Glock 17C and G19 for sure.

All I have ight now is a 19 though cause I wanted my first Glock to be EDC/CCW.

Last edited by TerryGecko on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Facejackets
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Facejackets » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am

A Glock 26

And a Glock 17

I am pretty lucky to have found two great guns right off the bat.

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am

Glock and AR's here

i have a clusterfuck of other firearms in case i start my own fifedom in a walmart or a landfill

his and her's AR's

yeah she's fine just like my glock

(thats right i made a hip-hop reference)

my G26

ETA hey someone else with a G26!
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:22 am

TerryGecko wrote:Glock 17C and G19 for sure.

All I have ight now is a 19 though cause I wanted my first Glock to be EDC/CCW.

Why do you have a piece of paracord tied near your magwell ?

Seems to me like an invitation for Murphy to come along and fuck you up .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:39 am

mk_ultra wrote: Why do you have a piece of paracord tied near your magwell ?

No, I liked the idea of a pistol leash and wanted to see how it felt so I briefly tried making one. I only had it on there for a few minutes before and after I took the pictures. I'm aware of the hazards of doing this without a real leash.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:41 am

TerryGecko wrote:

No, I liked the idea of a pistol leash and wanted to see how it felt so I briefly tried making one. I only had it on there for a few minutes before and after I took the pictures. I'm aware of the hazards of doing this without a real leash.
that hole in the back of the glock has perplexed me

i want to keep something in there
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:45 am

Finch wrote:
TerryGecko wrote:

lol, Does the Mako Tactical stock somehow clip in to the small hole? So it will stay put? I always figured those are two reasons it's there.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:48 am

TerryGecko wrote:

Excellent :D

Just trying to help.

Anyway , to answer the question , I have chosen the boring combo of AR15 carbines backed up with Glock 19s .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:49 am

mk_ultra wrote: Excellent :D

Just trying to help.

Anyway , to answer the question , I have chosen the boring combo of AR15 carbines backed up with Glock 19s .
Thanks for looking out.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

chrisw

Post by chrisw » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 am

Beanhead wrote:
Hoppy wrote:welll. the glocks a good choice!

Waiiiiitttttt a minute, I think he has 2 promag mags for the P89....

They are actually ruger factory mags, but just old ones. This p89 is a 305 serial number which makes it a 1993 model per their website:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... ry-PI.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were the magazines that they originally sold the gun with and they are the ones that came with the gun. The 10 other mags are the ones that came with newer p89's and all p95's as they are interchangeable between the two. They have and probably never will see hollow point ammunition but will be used at the range. They ever so slightly change the ergonomics of the gun as well due to the polymer bottomed mags complete a finger groove on the bottom of the grip. It is almost unnoticeable when shooting, but I still prefer the newer ones.

Mecgar also makes flush fitting 17rd mags as well that supposedly function just as well as factory mags, but I would prefer factory mags before the extra 2 round capacity. Just me.

Great pictures everyone and keep em coming! Something I was thinking about is if a Katrina type of event was to happen to me down here in FL, I wouldn't be able to walk around with my AK on my shoulder per se because when the national guard comes in and order starts to be restored the AK would be illegal and I would be arrested. That being said, a sidearm even full size OWB is very easy to have under a button up shirt with several extra mags as well. It is a very real possibility that we could be limited to only a sidearm in that type of scenario.

TerryGecko- You may only have the g19 now, but I feel very confident in my g19. great shooter with high capacity and superb glock reliability. If that is what you were, "stuck" with you would be in great shape. the 17 is only a little longer sight radius and 2 more round capacity. My vote would be to buy more mags before another gun. I like to have at least 5 mags for every sidearm with preferably twice that number. I have 12 for both the ruger and glock. Nice gun choice!

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:50 am

Finch wrote:
TerryGecko wrote:

Plug it up!
http://www.glockplug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

ChatWithaNinja

Post by ChatWithaNinja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:55 am

Walther p99 in .40

Its kinda dirty cause I CC it.

-Andy
A high post count does not equal high intelligence

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm actually working with GunNut's shop to trade for an EAA Witness. I want to start out with a .45 (because that's what I have now) and either a 9mm or a .40 conversion, and eventually get the other, and a .22 kit. And some mags. I like versatility.

May even have some pics after this weekend. :D
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:09 pm

I don't know. My Glock 34 is probably more useful, but I don't have a picture of it. It looks like every other Glock 34. The sweet spot of magical Glock goodness.

Picture wise, thus, we'll just say "the usual pile of shit". Older photo, same basic load. As I'm fond of saying, slum lording habits die hard. For those interested, the primary auto shown is a Sig P229R in .357 Sig (w/factory night sights). Holster is a Desantis flight deck model, the type that allows the weapon to be secured in the holster if needed for adminstrative reasons.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Variety is the spice of life!
If poo hits the spinning blades ill most likely have one of these on me.
Colt combat elite
Glock 31
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

ChatWithaNinja

Post by ChatWithaNinja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 pm

I think my general philosophy is to have a gun in each of the common calibers with one main gun that you stock ammo for. this way if you are scrounging for ammo 2 years down the road and find some 38 special rounds but don't have a gun that shoots them, they're about as useful as a third nipple.

So far I've got a .40, .380, and a 9mm. I'm working ongetting a 22 and a 357. I'm stocking ammo for the .40 cause I just prefer the .40 for CC
-Andy
A high post count does not equal high intelligence

Broken1

Post by Broken1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Glock 17

A full size pistol, for a full size man, in a full size world. :wink: I should probably step over to a 21SF in 45 so I can say "in a full size caliber"... I held one the other day and it was a perfect fit. The only reason I never got a 21 before was because it didn't fit my hand at all.
Broken1

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Stoppard

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”