Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:35 pm

Langenator wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm
Question for the Glock folks: I'm looking for a 357 SiG barrel to drop in my G22. Because reasons.

So far my web digging has found Storm Lake and KKM as options, with a price difference of around $5. I've seen mentions about Lone Wolf, but I can't find the 357 Sig barrels on their actual site (Dear Lone Wolf, please add the ability to filter by caliber).

I've found plenty of other manufacturers that don't offer 357 Sig (Faxon, Grey Ghost, ZEV.

Anyone know of any others I haven't found yet?

If Storm Lake and KKM are the only options, any recommendations? I've generally heard good things about both.
I picked up an Adams Arms barrel for my G17, but that's just in 9mm as far as I know. Then again, it was an older barrel, so they may have some .357 Sig barrels in their new barrel line.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Anyone have experience with the Leapers UTG Pro line, particularly AR handguards?

I'm looking to trim a bit from my Grendel, and the obvious targets are the buttstock and handguard. The buttstock's aluminum, and I suspect was chosen to counterbalance the weight of the (for my uses) unnecessarily beefy handguard. (It's a Larue rifle, and kinda overbuilt for my uses.)

So I'm thinking of putting a Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock on it (which necessitates a new extenion, spring, and buffer weight), and swapping the front handguard for a lighter one. I rather like the simple look of the Leapers UTG PRO M-LOK AR-15 Super Slim Free Float Handguard Black - 13".

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:00 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:56 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:35 pm
Langenator wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm
Question for the Glock folks: I'm looking for a 357 SiG barrel to drop in my G22. Because reasons.

So far my web digging has found Storm Lake and KKM as options, with a price difference of around $5. I've seen mentions about Lone Wolf, but I can't find the 357 Sig barrels on their actual site (Dear Lone Wolf, please add the ability to filter by caliber).

I've found plenty of other manufacturers that don't offer 357 Sig (Faxon, Grey Ghost, ZEV.

Anyone know of any others I haven't found yet?

If Storm Lake and KKM are the only options, any recommendations? I've generally heard good things about both.
I picked up an Adams Arms barrel for my G17, but that's just in 9mm as far as I know. Then again, it was an older barrel, so they may have some .357 Sig barrels in their new barrel line.
The only ones listed on Adams Arms site are 9mm for the 17 and 19.

Glockstore.com does list Bar-Sto Glock 31 replacement barrels for $240, which as a roughly 50% price jump over the Storm Lake and KKM (~$160-165). They also list OEM G31 barrels for $175 and some company called Double Diamond for $125.

EDIT: Interestingly, while Lone Wolf does not offer G31 barrels on their own website, CheaperThanDirt has them listed.
Last edited by Langenator on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Welp, seems like a few folks are having issues with the Glock 44 and 2020 Pythons. I haven't heard (so far) of any teething problems with the Ruger 57.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:29 am

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:40 pm
Welp, seems like a few folks are having issues with the Glock 44 and 2020 Pythons. I haven't heard (so far) of any teething problems with the Ruger 57.
Not surprised at all- new released from Colt seem to commonly have issues. Dissapointed with Glock, I was going to snag one right away but it seems they aren't terribly reliable.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Biggest issue I've heard of with the Glock is the slide cracking.

Which is not a surprise considering it's made of plastic with a small aluminum insert.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Some G44 memes...

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Paul Harrell has a review up of the Ruger 57.

From his presentation, it seems like the Ruger's the winner:
* The Ruger's cheaper, almost half the cost of the FN in his area
* The FN's sights drifted badly, so he replaced them with non-adjustable sights
* The FN had a long break-in period, and after several years is still less reliable than the Ruger
* Both have bad triggers, long takeup with long creep
* Ballistic performance was comparable

I thought about watching a few other reviews to get a wider view, but I'm just not interested enough in the caliber to bother.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:27 pm

I watched his vid a little while ago. I think he likes it....but, "you be the judge". :awesome:

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:55 am

I had the opportunity to shoot a CZ Scorpion Evo over the weekend and I wasn't terribly impressed. As a person who really enjoys PCC's I can't say I see the value in it over guns costing half the price, which is too bad because they look hella cool.

The best part was I had a newer shooter with me and after seeing the HK style charging handle asked me what moron thought that was a good idea. :clap:

But side by side with a Ruger PCC, we both preferred the Ruger, which surprised me because overall I'm pretty meh about the Ruger package overall.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:45 pm

7080 rounds worth of carbon pudding, and it still ain't dead yet...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:45 am

Just an FYI for revolver shooters with fixed sights. Remember that different ammo will change your point of impact and can change it dramatically. I was shooting 125gr round nose lead and flat nosed jacketed rounds and hitting about 3 inches to the right at 10 yards, about 5-6 inches right at about 20 yards, and what seemed like 8 inches right at 40 yards. I tried shooting with some 180gr .357s and was still hitting to the right. I let experienced friends shoot and they hit to the right too. Well, last night I ran some .38 lead SWCHPs in 158gr flavor and I was dead on like a laser! It was pretty cool. It felt like I literally couldn't miss. I was drilling out the 3 inch circle on the target at 10 & 15 yards and punching out the numbers on the target at 7 yards.

I had also changed the grip on my revolver, so I think that helped. I have painted the sights for better contrast. I have put out a lot of lead in practice. But finally, after a year of shooting this (2 years? I forget now when I got it), I'm not hitting to the right of POA!

Paul Harrell has some good vids on this for those who are interested.

Anyway, just a reminder that while a revolver will feed any ammo you can put in there, the POI can be squirrelly. For an adjustable sight gun this can be compensated for. A lot of those defensive revolvers have those fixed sights and people should put a little time into checking the POI of your defense ammo as well as your practice ammo. If your target looks like it took a blast from a shotgun, you may have other things to deal with before changing ammo. But if your groups are actual groups and about the size of a soda can (or an energy drink can), then it may be time to check what changing ammo accomplishes.

Again, just an FYI. Nothing earth shattering or truely "new," but an interesting experience. I suspect most people here don't shoot fixed sighted revolvers enough to have to rediscover these old truths. So I thought I'd share.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 am

Now try the other ammo with the new grips on the gun. I have a feeling that your grips may have played a bigger role in the right shift than the ammo did. I say this because one of my pistols was consistently hitting low-left for me and I saw that what was happening was the gun was being pushed down and left as I squeezed the trigger the last couple of millimeters. I changed the grip on the gun (added a Hogue grip sleeve to fill my hand better) and the problem corrected itself.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 am
Now try the other ammo with the new grips on the gun. I have a feeling that your grips may have played a bigger role in the right shift than the ammo did. I say this because one of my pistols was consistently hitting low-left for me and I saw that what was happening was the gun was being pushed down and left as I squeezed the trigger the last couple of millimeters. I changed the grip on the gun (added a Hogue grip sleeve to fill my hand better) and the problem corrected itself.
We have had similar experiences. I did change the grip (to Hogue, a few months ago) and continued to experience the impacts to the right of point of aim, but with the 125s. Last night was the first I had shot 158s with the Hogue grips. I had used S&W wood grips and Pachmeyr grips. I prefer the look and feel of the Pachmeyrs, but the Hogues have worked better with my hands. Apparently. (The Hogues had no effect on the 125s). It has been a while, but I think I was hitting to the right with the 158s when I was using the Pachmeyrs. My memory is hazy right now on that point.

I was surprised and I think I need to try the 180s again with the Hogue grips. I just cry a little when shooting good, expensive ammo.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm
I just cry a little when shooting good, expensive ammo.
If you don't practice with it then you're just going to waste it when you do use it. :wink:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:39 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm
I just cry a little when shooting good, expensive ammo.
If you don't practice with it then you're just going to waste it when you do use it. :wink:
Logic hurts!!! Which is why I try to avoid it. :D

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46 am

What brand upper? I'm considering a 50 or 450 Bushy for moose this year...
It's Midway's house brand, they were running the 10.5 upper on sale a couple weeks ago. Seems accurate enough in initial testing, but seems to be overgassed with the two loads I tried, which were Underwood 300 and 325's. I'm running a H2 buffer and a red heavy Sprinco spring, maybe it needs an H3 buffer. Runs perfect but ejection is around 2 o'clock.
Update on the el cheapo 50 Beowulf pistol upper- about 25 rounds in (all factory ammo, not reloads) my extractor snapped off. I'm going to replace it with one from Alexander Arms, figuring they are less likely to cheap out on a part like that. Disappointing, but when you start to play with boutique rounds it's reasonable to expect some issues, I guess.

- Mark Twain

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm

In 2020 Shot Show news, I'm very excited about these. And pretty excited about the likely price.

I think this is my new basic prepper recommendation gun and "new to guns what do I buy" recommendation.

I think with Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Federal, Hornedy, or Underwood, it will do nicely. I might pick one up myself either this year or next.
Last edited by woodsghost on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:11 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm
PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46 am

What brand upper? I'm considering a 50 or 450 Bushy for moose this year...
It's Midway's house brand, they were running the 10.5 upper on sale a couple weeks ago. Seems accurate enough in initial testing, but seems to be overgassed with the two loads I tried, which were Underwood 300 and 325's. I'm running a H2 buffer and a red heavy Sprinco spring, maybe it needs an H3 buffer. Runs perfect but ejection is around 2 o'clock.
Update on the el cheapo 50 Beowulf pistol upper- about 25 rounds in (all factory ammo, not reloads) my extractor snapped off. I'm going to replace it with one from Alexander Arms, figuring they are less likely to cheap out on a part like that. Disappointing, but when you start to play with boutique rounds it's reasonable to expect some issues, I guess.
Pretty classic over-gassed symptoms... adjustable gas blocks are pretty cheap these days.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm
In 2020 Shot Show news, I'm very excited about these. And pretty excited about the likely price.

Image]

I think this is my new basic prepper recommendation gun and "new to guns what do I buy" recommendation.

I think with Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Federal, Hornedy, or Underwood, it will do nicely. I might pick one up myself either this year or next.
If I buy a gun this year, it'll probably be one of those PSA Glock clones. Given the amount of hype they got at SHOT this year, I'll be lucky if I can get one by the time my birthday rolls around.

I just hope there's not another incident on my birthday this year like last year (mass shooter in Odessa Texas, which is near my hometown, if anyone cared to know).

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Image]]

If I buy a gun this year, it'll probably be one of those PSA Glock clones. Given the amount of hype they got at SHOT this year, I'll be lucky if I can get one by the time my birthday rolls around.

I just hope there's not another incident on my birthday this year like last year (mass shooter in Odessa Texas, which is near my hometown, if anyone cared to know).
I'm sorry about the shooting. U sincerely hope no one in America faces another shooting for a decade.

Those PSA glocks look great! I'm thinking of waiting for a gen 2 or gen 3 to come out. And the price looks fantastic.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:19 pm

I'll probably wait to get one of those PSA Glocks until they get all the potential bugs worked out or at least until PSA has a decent stock of them. If there's any issues that pop up, I'm pretty sure PSA will be right on top of them and get them fixed.

And if they can't, the guns are based on Gen 3 Glocks, so there's plenty of parts that can be swapped out and they're likely to be easy to work on.

I'm thinking of either getting the base model or possibly the one with the RMR cut, suppressor sights and threaded barrel. Or I'll just get the base model and upgrade it as I go like I do with the rest of my guns.

As for the shooting, I believe the thread I posted on it last year is still in the DICE forum, so you might look there if you wanted to know more about it.

Or just search "Odessa Texas mass shooting 2019" on whatever search engine you use and it should bring up a few results.

The gist of it is local moron gets fired from job, goes on killing spree after getting pulled over (I believe the kill count was around 20 or so) and later that same day ends up dead in a movie theater parking lot via police administered high speed lead poisoning.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:19 pm

As for the shooting, I believe the thread I posted on it last year is still in the DICE forum, so you might look there if you wanted to know more about it.

I remember that thread, that was hard to read.

I find most new guns have a teething period and then they are fine.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”