Kind of diggin' Paul Harrell on youtube.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

moab

Kind of diggin' Paul Harrell on youtube.

Post by moab » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Here's a nice rundown on what small pistols are good to carry and why. This guy is really intelligent. I really like his videos. Just discovered him.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Re: Kind of diggin' Paul Harrell on youtube.

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Dude! We talk about him probably once a month! He is pretty fun to watch. I don't 100% agree with him, but I"ve probably never met a human I agree with 100%. ;)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 pm

I hear he is kind of what you call an expert. Not many bona fides but mostly common sense stuff that is reasoned out.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Ya. Sick of YT videos with nothing to say. Other than the obvious. It's nothing more than - yay look at me mom I'm on the internets!!!!" lol. Seriously. a lot of knobs on there. Nice to find the diamonds.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:22 pm

He makes a convincing case that unless you've inherited a 1920's .32APC from your great grand uncle, it's .380 or GTFO.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Can't hardly hear him. If he's so intelligent You'd think he could make an audible video. :vmad:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I hear he is kind of what you call an expert. Not many bona fides but mostly common sense stuff that is reasoned out.
Ya. He's all about logic. It's refreshing. And he uses good props. And explains things really well. I've learned a lot just from the first couple i've watched. He's been in a shoot out. But does not claim any other expertise than that. AFAIK. He may have more training than I'm aware of. But he's just a really smart guy. With a lot of common sense.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:43 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:56 pm
Can't hardly hear him. If he's so intelligent You'd think he could make an audible video. :vmad:
It's not that bad on my sound system (logitech something or other.) but I think he's a little lower trying not to annoy other shooters. He's at a range. I think it's one of those where you rent your own berm. And get to sort of do your own thing within your lane? You can see more of it in his other videos. We have one here in Socal like that.

But ya, he is talking abnormally quiet in the first part of the video. I had to turn my speakers up.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:23 am

"This gun fits my hand better than this one does..."

I love Paul. He's got an interesting history to boot!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I did enjoy his video on 22 long rifle for home defense.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:21 pm

I like his videos, I just started watching them though. Sage Dynamics and Garand Thumb are two others I watch a lot of on YT.

delarey

Post by delarey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 pm

I enjoy Paul's videos. As mentioned, the common sense factor makes it worth while. He's got quite a bit of experience, if I'm not mistaken. Some military and some LEO?

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:48 am

delarey wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 pm
I enjoy Paul's videos. As mentioned, the common sense factor makes it worth while. He's got quite a bit of experience, if I'm not mistaken. Some military and some LEO?
I think he states in one of his videos that he is a former Marine and Army vet. Not sure of combat experience but there is this

https://www.wallowa.com/news/harrell-fr ... cdc1a.html

delarey

Post by delarey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 am

JF89 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:48 am
I think he states in one of his videos that he is a former Marine and Army vet. Not sure of combat experience but there is this
Now that is interesting. He doesn't seem like the kind to go on a killing spree - at least not from what I can see on his videos. Sometimes people just snap, I guess. What makes us human (free will, conscious thought, emotions) also make us one of the most dangerous predators on the planet.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm

delarey wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 am
JF89 wrote:
Now that is interesting. He doesn't seem like the kind to go on a killing spree - at least not from what I can see on his videos. Sometimes people just snap, I guess. What makes us human (free will, conscious thought, emotions) also make us one of the most dangerous predators on the planet.
Wait...what? Did you and I read the same article? I'm confused at how that's your takeaway from it, that he snapped and went on a killing spree.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

delarey

Post by delarey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm
delarey wrote:
JF89 wrote:
Wait...what? Did you and I read the same article? I'm confused at how that's your takeaway from it, that he snapped and went on a killing spree.
Yes, we read the same article, but I think my post wasn't worded properly :words: . I was talking about the other guy running through their camp site and trying to ram his truck...with Harrell's wife standing behind it. Based on the little information in the article, I say he should never have faced charges. It was justifiable.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm

delarey wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm
delarey wrote:
JF89 wrote:
Yes, we read the same article, but I think my post wasn't worded properly :words: . I was talking about the other guy running through their camp site and trying to ram his truck...with Harrell's wife standing behind it. Based on the little information in the article, I say he should never have faced charges. It was justifiable.
Ah, okay! The way you referenced him (Paul) and his videos while talking about going on a killing spree, and the talking about him snapping, made it seem like you thought he had.

As far as him being charged, yes, I could see it. His wife had their own pickup truck between her and the other vehicle. I can't see the other guy getting up much speed on a campsite, maybe 30-35 mph at the most, which wouldn't push another pickup all that far before running out of energy (about 40-50 feet in my experience dealing with accident scenes) and any person who is in decent physical shape should be able to cover that distance pretty quickly once they see the guy heading their way, so it's questionable as to how much danger she was actually in. There are, of course, many other factors that went into this event and into Paul's decision to shoot that the article does not convey, so our armchair discussion of it is pretty meaningless. The responding officers and local judicial system did what they thought was right and reasonable at the time (as did Paul I believe) and that's about the best we could hope for in any such situation.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

delarey

Post by delarey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:51 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Ah, okay! The way you referenced him (Paul) and his videos while talking about going on a killing spree, and the talking about him snapping, made it seem like you thought he had.

As far as him being charged, yes, I could see it. His wife had their own pickup truck between her and the other vehicle. I can't see the other guy getting up much speed on a campsite, maybe 30-35 mph at the most, which wouldn't push another pickup all that far before running out of energy (about 40-50 feet in my experience dealing with accident scenes) and any person who is in decent physical shape should be able to cover that distance pretty quickly once they see the guy heading their way, so it's questionable as to how much danger she was actually in. There are, of course, many other factors that went into this event and into Paul's decision to shoot that the article does not convey, so our armchair discussion of it is pretty meaningless. The responding officers and local judicial system did what they thought was right and reasonable at the time (as did Paul I believe) and that's about the best we could hope for in any such situation.
That's a very reasonable assessment...and yes, the armchair discussion...well, they didn't pay me for my opinion haha. You are right though.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:45 pm

delarey wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:51 pm
NT2C wrote:

That's a very reasonable assessment...and yes, the armchair discussion...well, they didn't pay me for my opinion haha. You are right though.
Just to be clear here. If someone attempts to run over my wife. Even if she is behind a stationary vehicle. And even if the assailents car isn't going very fast. I will use deadly force until the threat is stopped. Even if I have to change magaziness. (several times )

Attempting to harm my wife brings out the rabid rabbit in me. ( quickly)

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:18 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:45 pm
delarey wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Just to be clear here. If someone attempts to run over my wife. Even if she is behind a stationary vehicle. And even if the assailents car isn't going very fast. I will use deadly force until the threat is stopped. Even if I have to change magaziness. (several times )

See? That's the difference between you and I.

My wife is well armed and capable of taking out the guy herself. :awesome:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:18 pm
flybynight wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:45 pm
delarey wrote:
NT2C wrote:

See? That's the difference between you and I.

My wife is well armed and capable of taking out the guy herself. :awesome:
Nah. The difference between us is , my wife won't have to defend herself if I'm there. No matter how capable she is. That's my job

John Titor was right

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”