most useful caliber for lever action in my area

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

coyotebc

Re: most useful caliber for lever action in my area

Post by coyotebc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:54 pm

manowar1313 wrote:I had a Henry Golden Boy .22 I give A++.

But would a SBR be legal in Canada? Something like a Henry Mare's Leg but with a full stock? IDK enough about Canada's gun laws to know if that would be legal.
Here in Canada a Mares leg is considered a rifle and is non-restricted

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

coyotebc wrote:
manowar1313 wrote:I had a Henry Golden Boy .22 I give A++.

But would a SBR be legal in Canada? Something like a Henry Mare's Leg but with a full stock? IDK enough about Canada's gun laws to know if that would be legal.
Here in Canada a Mares leg is considered a rifle and is non-restricted

and available in :
-357/38sp
-45 colt
-44mag
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Out of an 18 inch barrel, .357 is ballistically similar to .30-30, especially in some of the hotter .357 loads, or those made for rifles.

Maybe I just love .357, but thats what I would suggest. There are a lot of really good commercial loads for it, and in a rifle its recoil is very tame.

That marlin guide gun is very pretty though.
Please post
Here in Canada I have never seen a 357 load that comes close to a 30/30 load
I am currently in the market for a Mares leg and have ruled out the 357 due to its low energy level

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 pm

personally for what i saw, if i got to chose a handgun caliber. for a rifle at less than 120m i chose the 44mag.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:53 pm

I will start off by saying that I am a hunter first and gun collector second
The main animals that I hunt are moose, mule deer and elk
At present I have the following lever actions
Winchester model 88 in 308 (over 35 years hunting with it)
Marlin model 336 in 30/30 (around 25 years hunting with it)
Marlin 44mag (around 25 years hunting with it)
Winchester model 94 in 450 marlin (around 6 years hunting with it)

From my own personal experience this is what I believe to be true

I consider the 44mag too light for use on moose however I use it to about 125 yards on deer without issue and would consider it good for closer use on black bear but not grizzly
The 44mag has noticibly less felt recoil than the 30/30 when comparing my two Marlins

I consider the 30/30 about the same as the 44mag except that I would stretch its use about 50 yards further than the 44mag

I consider my 308 the most versatile of my lever action rifles and have taken deer, moose, elk and black bear with it
However my model 88 is a rifle and for wondering about in thicker bush I prefer the model 88 carbine (my brother collects model 88s) or a browning blr carbine

I hunt moose in Northern BC often when grizzly are still active, my camp gun is my model 94 in 450 marlin
My normal hunting rifle there is a 338 winmag however when walking through thicker stuff or heading out to the bathroom the 450 marlin is my go to gun
There isn't a moose or bear that I believe is beyond the capabilities of the 450 marlin
However as others have stated it does have a rainbow trajectory so I consider it a 150 yard gun
The ghost rings sights on this rifle are great.
Recoil is noticibly more than my other lever actions as is muzzle blast from the 18 1/2 ported barrel
For a lot of shooters the 450 marlin will be too much

A few other observations
I have experience with marlin 45/70s and consider it the same as the 450 marlin when using modern loads such as what Hornady makes
If I was to recommend the 450 marlin or 45/70 I would say get the 45/70 simply for ammo availability

Another good option for hunting is a 358 winchester in a blr, however ammo availability may be limited in your area, the same goes for 338 federal

Stay away from the blr long action rifles, my one hunting partner has one in 30/06 and it doesn't handle near as nicely as the traditional blr

I have heard good things about the 308 marlin and 338 marlin rounds but I am concerned that ammo for them may not be around in the future

If I was to recommend one rifle to you given your intended use it would be the browning blr carbine in 308 winchester

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 am

coyotebc wrote:I am currently in the market for a Mares leg and have ruled out the 357 due to its low energy level
I like .357, but here in Iowa USA the biggest critters I will be shooting are deer.
But if you plan to shoot elk/moose/bear then I would agree - look for something bigger.
azrael99 wrote:eventually yes, specially for range ammo. where the need for high tech ammo is less relevant. all i need for the range are wall-cutter ammo. or hollow point to have fun with water 2L
If you plan to shoot .45-70, you need to learn to reload. Seriously.
The cost of new .45-70 is painful where I live, when you can find it.
But if you cast your own bullets and reload the brass - you will cut your costs for shooting by a huge amount.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:40 am

I use this mold for 45-70. It works like a charm.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... entryID=72
Boldly going nowhere

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:21 pm

coyotebc wrote: Please post
Here in Canada I have never seen a 357 load that comes close to a 30/30 load
I am currently in the market for a Mares leg and have ruled out the 357 due to its low energy level
Some loads factory .357 loads do come close.

These are the hot factory loads I use and honestly I would be very uncomfortable with shooting a 800 to 1,500 lb critter with either one of these loads.

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-14 ... evolution/

The Buffalo Bore claims power equal to a 30/30 but there hot 30/30 loads that perform better(see below) .

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=100

I use these both of these on marsh hogs in my area. The Buffalo Bore in particular performs well.

But that would be a hogs to moose comparison.

Edited to add Buffalo Bore 30/30 heavy slugs

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=222

This is the .45/70 by Buffalo Bore. Much more in line with a moose.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... _list&c=35

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Most of the factory loads for the 30/30 are between 1600 and 2050 ft lbs
which is about 1/2 to 2 times the energy of the 357 load that you mentioned
http://www.ballistics101.com/30-30_winchester.php

The buffalo bore comes close but last time that I checked they didn't ship to Canada

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm

If you cannot get Buffalo Bore then you would have to hand load. That or go with 30.30 or .better yet, .45/70.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:50 pm

raptor wrote:If you cannot get Buffalo Bore then you would have to hand load.
That's what I do.
In fact, with .22 so hard to find - reloaded .38 Spl has become our mainstay plinking round.
Cast bullets are all but free, I can get 2000 rds from a pound of powder (for plinking). Cases I have buckets of and last forever on plinker pressures.
Only issue is the primers, which luckily I have a healthy supply of and haven't had issues replacing.

If I burn up a brick of .22's, I may have a hard time replacing them.
Burn up 500 rds of .38 and I am out a long afternoon with the kids casting a loading them. Which is half the fun. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 am

Here in AZ i wanted a "camp gun" with more oomph than my AR or .357 mag Security Six. I dont like the innaccuracy of my 12ga shotty.

I finally settled on the Marlin 336Y. 33" (about the same as the AR) but is essentially a 16" 30-30. With a slightly shorter LOP. It is a hair over 6lbs and will drop anything in AZ with more power than the 5.56 AR and Far...far better accuracy than the 12ga with cheap and almost universally available ammo.

That gun is my new truck/backpacking/bugout/backup deerelkbearwhatever gun.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”