C&R Bound Book question

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

C&R Bound Book question

Post by Akin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:09 am

Greetings all!

So, although I've had my C&R for nearly a year now, I'm just getting ready to make my first purchase with it.

I don't have a bound book yet... the ones I've looked at in the past, well, the fields to write in the information were always far too small for my tastes. I don't write in a four point font...

Does anyone know of a book that gives you a decent amount of room?

Or, are there templates I can fill in and print out from the computer? Would that be legal? Not sure if "three ring binder" meets the requirement for "bound book"...

Thanks!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: C&R Bound Book question

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 am

Akin wrote:Greetings all!

So, although I've had my C&R for nearly a year now, I'm just getting ready to make my first purchase with it.

I don't have a bound book yet... the ones I've looked at in the past, well, the fields to write in the information were always far too small for my tastes. I don't write in a four point font...

Does anyone know of a book that gives you a decent amount of room?

Or, are there templates I can fill in and print out from the computer? Would that be legal? Not sure if "three ring binder" meets the requirement for "bound book"...

Thanks!
Brownells has the ones I used. Bound books cannot be loose leaf, as it needs to be bleedingly obvious if a page has been removed.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:21 am

hmmm... any links? A search for "FFL Book" gives http://www.brownells.com/search/index.h ... &ksubmit=y, which isn't what I need, and "Bound Book" gives http://www.brownells.com/search/index.h ... &ksubmit=y, which is also not what I need... apparently my search fu is failing this morning.

Google reveals countless version on many websites, but like I said, hopefully I can find one that gives enough room for my block letter scrawl to fit in...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 am

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am

you can use google to search brownells or any other site by prefixing your search criteria with

site:brownells.com

So

site:brownells.com "record book"

returns

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1694.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 26969.aspx

plus a bunch of others on brownells site only.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1694.aspx

That's the one I used.
Is that a bound book? It appears to be loose leaf?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Akin wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1694.aspx

That's the one I used.
Is that a bound book? It appears to be loose leaf?
Don't get hung up on "bound" too much. That book is a bunch of numbered sheets folded in half, three hole punched, and stapled at the spine. You can't rip a page out without it being extrememly obvious, and it has all the correct blanks and stuff. It doesn't have to be blue or spiral bound (glue bound may actually be verboten, but I'm not sure) and I can personally attest that a whole bunch of FFL01s use that exact book. The 3-hole bunch is so that peopel like me could throw 7 books in a binder easily and just pop out whichever book I needed at the time. I ran one for scatterguns and rifles, one for stripped recievers and "other weapons", one for handguns, one for used stuff, one for transfers, and one for repairs/smithing.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Good lord!

I just need one for the half dozen or so toys I want with my C&R... heh...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:43 am

I gave up on keeping an actual book. I switched over to one of the online bound books. It keeps all of the records, and you don't have to worry as much about writing it all out. You just type in the sections.

-Mb

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:I gave up on keeping an actual book. I switched over to one of the online bound books. It keeps all of the records, and you don't have to worry as much about writing it all out. You just type in the sections.

-Mb
Huh.

Which one do you use, and, has the ATF approved it?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SNAFU-M1A

Post by SNAFU-M1A » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Sorry to bump a 2 month old thread but wanted to add to the discussion. I made up my own form, which has all the important info you need, similar to this one (surplusrifle.com/graphics/boundbookpage.pdf), & save a copy to a flash drive. Then I print off a hard copy that I put in a plastic sleeve, to protect it, & put it in a 3-ring binder with all my other purchases. That's how I do my "bound book". Here is question #1 from the ATF which covers what they consider a "bound book" & what the regulation says as well as the code to look it up. Hope this helps clear up the murkiness.

Q: What is a “bound book?”
A “bound book” is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages which must be maintained on the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations, and the pages must be numbered consecutively.

[27 CFR 478.121 and 478.125]

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:23 pm

SNAFU-M1A wrote:Sorry to bump a 2 month old thread but wanted to add to the discussion. I made up my own form, which has all the important info you need, similar to this one (surplusrifle.com/graphics/boundbookpage.pdf), & save a copy to a flash drive. Then I print off a hard copy that I put in a plastic sleeve, to protect it, & put it in a 3-ring binder with all my other purchases. That's how I do my "bound book". Here is question #1 from the ATF which covers what they consider a "bound book" & what the regulation says as well as the code to look it up. Hope this helps clear up the murkiness.

Q: What is a “bound book?”
A “bound book” is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages which must be maintained on the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations, and the pages must be numbered consecutively.

[27 CFR 478.121 and 478.125]
Speaking for myself, I have no problems with necroposting if relevant content is provided.

Willing to share the form?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”