Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 0122358 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:34 pm

After finishing my AR, its going to be a Smith J-Frame, then another rifle, either a Ruger American Compact .308, a Ruger American Rimfire, or a Rossi 92 .357 trapper. Although I wouldnt mind picking up a NEF Pardner Protector for a truck gun...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 am

Hey Doc, is your 'tap, rack, bang' to tap the mag to make sure it's fully seated, or tapping the forward assist? I'd think the mag because I'd pull the charging handle before hitting the FA to try to fix a malfunction, so I'm guessing Marines training says don't hit the FA during immediate action because you shouldn't need to and if you have a real problem the FA will only make the jam worse.

As far as real world experience with jams, my FA port may as well be a bud vase.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:Hey Doc, is your 'tap, rack, bang' to tap the mag to make sure it's fully seated, or tapping the forward assist? I'd think the mag because I'd pull the charging handle before hitting the FA to try to fix a malfunction, so I'm guessing Marines training says don't hit the FA during immediate action because you shouldn't need to and if you have a real problem the FA will only make the jam worse.

As far as real world experience with jams, my FA port may as well be a bud vase.
Fully seated.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:17 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:Hey Doc, is your 'tap, rack, bang' to tap the mag to make sure it's fully seated, or tapping the forward assist? I'd think the mag because I'd pull the charging handle before hitting the FA to try to fix a malfunction, so I'm guessing Marines training says don't hit the FA during immediate action because you shouldn't need to and if you have a real problem the FA will only make the jam worse.

Seat the mag, same as with a pistol. Spank the baby to make sure the mag's seated, slingshot the fuck out of the charging handle like you mean it to make sure you didn't ride it home, and the bang is you attempting to perforate what needs perforating. I have used the forward assist, usually when loading up. Lock bolt to the rear, insert mag (if not already condition 3), release the bolt, do a small brass check, and then slap the forward assist twice because I'm paranoid about the brass check.

Then some wise sergeant pointed out to me that I could save myself the hassle if I tipped the gun around and watched a round strip and feed, and I've done it that way ever since.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 am

How the hell you guys went of on immediate/ remedial action when GBM was talking about reloads is beyond me.

Of course your going to use the charging handle for one of those.

I should have just kept browsing.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:00 am

finally got the fund together to get the BCM 16" LW Middy barrel i've been wanting for a few months.............and it's been sold out for almost 3 weeks. :vmad: It was instock for what seemed like 2 straight months, now this. Oh well, what another week or two.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:06 am

docdredd wrote:Ok looking for a word that evokes membership in a hard won group that is inclusive to both sexes..... Ready...... GO GO GO
Try a thesaurus.I'm sure there are several online.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 am

Chris@MTCT wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:Question of the day.
Has anyone had a failure to go into battery when they've hit the bolt release on their AR 15?
Set up, you've run dry, dropped the mag and inserted a fresh mag. You hit the bolt release, have you had a failure to feed?

I never have but I've seen a few instructors who say run the charging handle.
Not unless there was something that would have prevented it going into battery at all.

Charging handle use is a fix looking to cause a problem. More often then not I have seen operator induced malfunctions using the charging handle for a bolt lock to the rear reload.

Can't think of a reason why to do it.
That's where I am, I can't figure out why they recommend running the charging handle. Sometimes, when I tried it that way, I've induced failure but never with the bolt release. The only time I use the CH is IAs and the initial loading of the weapon. On a reload, no.

NEXT QUESTION OF THE DAY!

How do you reload from a slide lock empty handgun?
A. Do you sling shot the slide, as in grab the top of the slide and run it back with your support hand?
B. Do you hit the slide release? Either with your thumb or support hand.
Set up: Last rd fired on an empty mag, slide locks to the rear, you drop the empty mag and insert a fresh one. Which do you do, A or B?
I sling shot the slide. I use the same movement for running the slide for everything, malfunction or reload.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:10 am

So an actual constructive question instead a random gun post...(i need to stop doing those and actually try to gain knowlage)

So lets say i have a double feed..I drop the mag, pull the CH to pull BCG back, check chamber, insert mag?

I mean the common problems i have with my AR are failure to feed and double feeds...but theres also failure to extracts...what other problems are there?

ALSO: Is there any reason not to go with a lightweight barrel over a medium profile?
Last edited by 0122358 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:11 am

Depends on if the reload is "tactical" or "admin" on a pistol.

I always use the bolt release on the AR, for the same reason you noted. It also doesn't make sense to have to move it out of your shoulder to operate the charging handle.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:28 am

Numbers, light weight. Both mine are moa. Yupe, just verified last Friday.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:
NEXT QUESTION OF THE DAY!

How do you reload from a slide lock empty handgun?
A. Do you sling shot the slide, as in grab the top of the slide and run it back with your support hand?
B. Do you hit the slide release? Either with your thumb or support hand.
Set up: Last rd fired on an empty mag, slide locks to the rear, you drop the empty mag and insert a fresh one. Which do you do, A or B?
I sling shot the slide. I use the same movement for running the slide for everything, malfunction or reload.
B. Slide release. I really couldn't tell you a time when I have used the sling shot approach. Guess I just like going one handed via the slide release.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am

0122358 wrote:So an actual constructive question instead a random gun post...(i need to stop doing those and actually try to gain knowlage)

So lets say i have a double feed..I drop the mag, pull the CH to pull BCG back, check chamber, insert mag?

I mean the common problems i have with my AR are failure to feed and double feeds...but theres also failure to extracts...what other problems are there?

ALSO: Is there any reason not to go with a lightweight barrel over a medium profile?
Drop the mag, lock the bolt to the rear, observe (fingerbang it if time is of the essence) then put it back to rockin' and a-rollin'

Invest in some better mags. Shouldn't be getting those double-feeds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 am

I use slingshot because that is what I was taught at the Milcopp pistol class. I see few reasons not to use slide release though. Maybe I should be using the slide release. I have always heard slide release is faster. One issue with this is GM and I both run 3rd gen. Glocks that are either bone stock or very close to it. Their slide release is less substantial compared to other pistols. Looks like another thing we need to put on the timer at our next mutual range trip.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:33 am

Depending on what I'm doing, competition with 1911 slingshot, especially because that particular competition requires you to shoot one handed unsupported. Just plinking at home usually slingshot as well thats the way I was initially trained. Using the slide release occasionally, really prefer slingshot though.
ZS#4545

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Off the current conversation, but I just checked out (read: took out of box) the ATI top folding stock I purchased for my Mossberg 500.

And holy fuckles. The recoil with that thing (using the stock) must absolutely suck. Maybe I should have purchased the telescoping one...
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Ar's i use the bolt release. Why well it is just i figured out how to do it. I have never had any instruction on shooting, yes when i get set up i will get some.

Second question I hit the slide release . Same reason as above.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Slide release.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Beowolf wrote:Off the current conversation, but I just checked out (read: took out of box) the ATI top folding stock I purchased for my Mossberg 500.

And holy fuckles. The recoil with that thing (using the stock) must absolutely suck. Maybe I should have purchased the telescoping one...
I'm convinced that Knoxx needs to make a side-folding stock based on their Breachergrip. If you absolutely hate yours, the Phoenix Kicklite stocks are pretty legit.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Just checked that out. Hadn't heard of it before. Thanks! Looks like a great option.
-
ZS Wiki

Chris@MTCT

Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 pm

We really didn't touch on this at the last one since reloads were not focused on but there are perfectly good reasons to do either way. I have normal hands so a slide release is easy for me. I also own only Glocks. I'm also smart enough to know that over the top works on almost ever semi-auto out there. Just know why your doing it a certain way and not the other.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Chris@MTCT wrote:I have normal hands

What are you trying to say?!?! :evil:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I've always used the slide release but at my last class they taught to slingshot it. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to continue training that or revert back.

Points for slide release: Theoretically quicker. Can be done one handed in the event of having one hand incapacitated without having to do the between the knees clamp.

Points for sling shotting the slide: Spring is not fully compressed so a dirty/tight/hot weapon does not get the full power of the spring to slam the next round into battery.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:00 pm

I usually use the slingshot method on my 1911 if I experience a malfunction. I suppose I could train myself to use either the slingshot method or the slide release if need be, though.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”