Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

raxar

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by raxar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:24 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:Huh, I didn't even know there were hi-point guys... obviously people buy them, yes. Only hi-point I've had experience with was one someone had when I still went to public ranges. If you had that thing in a vice bolted to a table, pointed down range, and pulled the trigger with a steel bar straight back with both hands it would hit the guy next to you.

Indeed there are dedicated Hi-Point collectors. I've simply ended up acquiring a pile of them.

I'm thinking I may have to do an updated family pic.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:08 pm

That Haskell pistol looks like the result of a drunken night between a Hi-Point, a 1911 and a Crosman BB gun.

Still, it looks better than regular Hi-Point pistols.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:That Haskell pistol looks like the result of a drunken night between a Hi-Point, a 1911 and a Crosman BB gun.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/en ... stols.html
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:41 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:That Haskell pistol looks like the result of a drunken night between a Hi-Point, a 1911 and a Crosman BB gun.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/en ... stols.html
Well, now I feel bad for making the comment I made.

Come to think of it, I've seen a couple of those pistols at local pawn shops over the last couple years. I always figured they were BB guns of some sort, though.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, I decided to go for it and get the Glock next year. Yeah I'll have to add a new caliber to my preps, but .40 S&W ammo seems to be the most plentiful ammo in my AO right now ( which could change at any time) and seems to be pretty cheap.

I have been wanting a hi-cap pistol for awhile and for 370 bucks, I don't see how I'd be getting a bad deal. Assuming the guys I'll be dealing with aren't shady bastards who take my money for a Glock and end up sending me a Hi-Point.

Raxar, what exactly did you buy? The revolver looks like either an old Rossi (pre-Taurus) or Charter Arms.

The other two I have no clue.
If you add a lone wolf conversion barrel in 9mm and some glock17 mags you will be good to go in 2 calibers cheap.
ZS#4545

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I think they look like the light gun from the Sega Master system.

Another interesting note on the Haskell, rather then the cz-75ish plastic half length guide rod of modern hi-points they use a giant metal spike lodged into the slide.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Ok looking for a word that evokes membership in a hard won group that is inclusive to both sexes..... Ready...... GO GO GO
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:28 pm

docdredd wrote:Ok looking for a word that evokes membership in a hard won group that is inclusive to both sexes..... Ready...... GO GO GO
Browncoat?
raxar wrote:

I think they look like the light gun from the Sega Master system.

Another interesting note on the Haskell, rather then the cz-75ish plastic half length guide rod of modern hi-points they use a giant metal spike lodged into the slide.
Now that you mention it, it does kind of look like the light gun from the old Sega system.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
docdredd wrote:Ok looking for a word that evokes membership in a hard won group that is inclusive to both sexes..... Ready...... GO GO GO
Browncoat?
That's more of a rebel group. Hard-won means it's hard to get into, like you have to accomplish a great deal through difficult means to be considered for membership. I can think of such groups, but not a word to describe such a concept.

I want to say, 'elite', but that's not necessarily hard-won, it just means 'better'. In terms of, say, military units, or competitive sports players, or intellectuals, often elite are people who have trained or practiced much more and much harder than the whole, but, say, the financial elite are not necessarily self-made, and the social elite are... well, we can all bring to mind a given celebrity. You could technically argue that it should take deliberate effort to be that stupid.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I was mostly trying to make a Firefly joke because I can't think of any words that fit Docdredd's criteria. :oops:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 pm

shit, sorry that was supposed to go in the chat thread :oops:

To much wine, and late night writing.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:56 pm

docdredd wrote:shit, sorry that was supposed to go in the chat thread :oops:

To much wine, and late night writing.
No worries, dude. :)

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 am

Wine was the first mistake.

To keep it OT... My new gig makes mandatory the SW M&P 40. I don't like 40. And trying to come from the Glock, I'm not a M&P fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:49 am

Whiskey wrote:Wine was the first mistake.

To keep it OT... My new gig makes mandatory the SW M&P 40. I don't like 40. And trying to come from the Glock, I'm not a M&P fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The new trigger on the mp is awesome. I'm not .40 guy either, to snappy with not enough ballstic difference over 9mm. Just my opinion based on some gel charts.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:41 am

Question of the day.
Has anyone had a failure to go into battery when they've hit the bolt release on their AR 15?
Set up, you've run dry, dropped the mag and inserted a fresh mag. You hit the bolt release, have you had a failure to feed?

I never have but I've seen a few instructors who say run the charging handle.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:Question of the day.
Has anyone had a failure to go into battery when they've hit the bolt release on their AR 15?
Set up, you've run dry, dropped the mag and inserted a fresh mag. You hit the bolt release, have you had a failure to feed?

Once after many steel rounds with no lube, some MidCarolina sand, and dropping the full mag in red clay. I ran the charging handle,emptied the mag the fun way, rinsed the rilfe and the mag in a mud puddle and squirted CLP all up in it. Ran fine after that.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:58 pm

I have decided to rename Tactikewl Tina (my carry gun) to Lint Trap.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Thinking of grabbing some 69gr SMK as a SD load..yay or nay? Anyone seen gel tests?

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Also, DSG has $10 FDE Pmags. Picked up a few along with an Emag and some Magpul USGI followers.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:02 pm

I never have. Actually I can't say never... During some training I accidentally topped off a magazine with a 6.8 round that was in a box of loose 5.56 rounds and when I switched mags and slapped the bolt release it didn't feed. Never when using the proper ammo is what I should have said. :mrgreen:
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Not unless there was something that would have prevented it going into battery at all.

Charging handle use is a fix looking to cause a problem. More often then not I have seen operator induced malfunctions using the charging handle for a bolt lock to the rear reload.

Can't think of a reason why to do it.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:57 pm

I think the first response is always CH because if the forward assist doesn't solve your problem, you've got either a round jammed partially into the chamber, or the BCG jammed which then takes another action to clear (namely, the CH), and you'd rather be down one round than down the whole gun. If your chamber is just dirty with carbon or dirt, it'll happen again on the second round after you run the CH and using the FA to get the round into battery will at least give you a loaded rifle, then the hot cycling may help it along.

The military has a standard for "immediate action", which is a preset list of quick motions that should solve any problems that aren't otherwise going to require bench work. The premise is that you just do the steps quickly and by instinct so you're not doing troubleshooting in combat. I have heard both ways about looking into the ejection port in case there's a cocked round or foreign matter when you pull the CH back, but this would seem to go against the idea of a fast default fix-all movement.

SPORTS is slap (mag), pull (CH), observe (watch for an ejected round), release (CH), tap (FA), shoot
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote: SPORTS is slap (mag), pull (CH), observe (watch for an ejected round), release (CH), tap (FA), shoot
That SPORTS is bullshit. I learned a different SPORTS (seek cover, place the weapon on safe and remove the magazine, observe the chamber, reinsert the magazine and chamber a round, tap the forward assist, sight in and attempt to fire) for remedial action, but that's an aside.

Tap, rack, bang is immediate action. The SPORTS you describe is just a really slow tap, rack, bang. If immediate action didn't fix it, do you do immediate action again? No, you go to remedial action. Get behind something solid, SAFE IT, unload and clear (meaning look at the chamber to make sure there's not a gummy bear in there or something stupid) with the bolt locked back, put a new magazine in (throw the old one in the dump pouch, it's dead until you have more time to look at it) slap the bolt release and WATCH IT CLOSE WITH A ROUND IN THERE, and then set your gat back to blat-blat and play ball.

Remember, if IA fails, go remedial. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. If tap-rack, bang didn't fix it (and by the way, tap rack bang means watching for ejection with your peripheral) then it's time for soemthing else, lest you tap-rack-bang your way into a bolt override or triple feed.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Rogue45 wrote:

I never have. Actually I can't say never... During some training I accidentally topped off a magazine with a 6.8 round that was in a box of loose 5.56 rounds and when I switched mags and slapped the bolt release it didn't feed. Never when using the proper ammo is what I should have said. :mrgreen:
At least that wasn't with a bigger cartridge rifle than a 6.8... like 6.8 into a 7.62 could have been a catastrophic incident.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”