Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:42 am 

So, my wife and I rent an apartment from my Sister-in-law and her Husband. We use the same laundry machines and they just recently purchased a new, High Efficiency washer. My brother-in-law is insistent that we only use HE labelled detergents in the machine and that doing otherwise could damage it. I personally don't think that is true, but to the question I really want to ask.

I've seen blogs, facebook posts and Youtube videos on making homemade laundry detergent and I just want to know, do any of you out there use the homemade stuff in your HE machine? Has there been any problems?

Also, if you know of a source that definitively states homemade laundry detergent isn't bad for HE machines a link would be excellent. Maybe that way I can get them on board.

"When in doubt... C4!" - The wisdom of Jamie Hyneman
"If you find yourself in a fair fight... You obviously didn't plan accordingly!" - Unknown
"I aim to misbehave." - Mal Reynolds

I survived ZCon 2012!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I have lots of online friends who use the homemade detergent in HE machines with no problem.

http://laundry.about.com/od/HomemadeLau ... ashers.htm

http://www.creators.com/advice/everyday ... rgent.html

erg was hard to find links with so many sites on blackout today.. but the general consensus is that it's fine because it creates very few suds. It's the suds that cause the HE washers to be damaged by regular detergent.

ImageImageImage

Mother of 7!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

LtCmdLeia wrote:
erg was hard to find links with so many sites on blackout today.. but the general consensus is that it's fine because it creates very few suds. It's the suds that cause the HE washers to be damaged by regular detergent.

Interesting, I always wondered what the difference was.

My wife has been wanting to make some homemade detergent, so I'm going to pass these links along to her. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

We've done it for years. No problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:52 pm 

i had a repairman out to do some work on my front loading HE washer, and he said "you use HE detergent, right?" i asked how he coudl know that and he said he can always tell...when he takes off the back panel the sludge is missing if it's HE detergent. I'm not sure how much sudsing agent would be in the home made variety, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:55 am 

My wife uses detergent she made in ours, with no issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 am 

The stuff my wife made suds even less than the HE detergent we have used. The recipe supposedly is for both types of machines, I'll have to ask her for an ingredient list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm 

Ingredients are washing soda (soda ash), borax and any type of bar soap (she uses fels naspar, a clothes washing bar soap). The recipe can be found on line according to my wife and does not include the extra suds making ingredients that go into normal detergent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:09 am 

I know the ingredients and how-to process can be found online easily enough. I'd heard of the concept of homemade laundry soap before but the first How-to that I watched was on Youtube, done by a group called the Urban Farming Guys (really awesome group out of Kansas City Missouri, should check them out if you haven't already).

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUrbanFarmingGuys?feature=g-all-u#p/u/9/qHPwTcjFCpw

"When in doubt... C4!" - The wisdom of Jamie Hyneman
"If you find yourself in a fair fight... You obviously didn't plan accordingly!" - Unknown
"I aim to misbehave." - Mal Reynolds

I survived ZCon 2012!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 am 

I mean, i use non-HE detergent in my washers here, but i also only use 1/4 of what you would regularly use for a regular machine. when the price of HE and non-HE detergent is the same and you can make the detergent last 4x longer, it makes sense to use the regular detergent, just make sure you use a lot less of it to compensate for the suds and such.

I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.

only here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:28 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

So I made 5 gallons of this stuff and set it in the bucket while I went out of town, planning on adding 5 more gallons of water when I got home. Took the lid off the bucket this morning and basically have a 5 gallon block of pink Jello... Any suggestions???

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dawgboy wrote:
So I made 5 gallons of this stuff and set it in the bucket while I went out of town, planning on adding 5 more gallons of water when I got home. Took the lid off the bucket this morning and basically have a 5 gallon block of pink Jello... Any suggestions???

Sounds convenient if it works fine regardless of consistency.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 pm 

There is a page somewhere around here about this. I'll have to look it up when I get on my home computer but I think that it says the use 5 oz or just over half a cup for a load in a normal top loader. This has worked very well for us, and I know H E are supposed to use less than that , so when I watched that YouTube video I found myself thinking " How dirty are your clothes if you use that much?" Now that I'm typing this I'm thinking " how dirty are my clothes ? :shock: " :lol:

-Your post count just increased by 1 level!!!......HP +2, reading +4, writing +1....-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:29 am 

Dawgboy wrote:

Yes take your blender and blend you cann cut it with a bit more water if you like but thats all you have to do. The detergent always sets up after a few hours. I would like to note that home made laundry detergent is not as effective at removing stains. It certainlly cleans your clothes but if you have a sacred shirt that has stains or something you might keep a bit of comercial soap around and even this is not as good as it used to be since they removed phosphates.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am 

The recipe with the borax, fels naptha, and washing soda is designed not to suds. You actually don't need to cook it and mix it with water. I sliced the fels naptha with a wire cheese cutter and put the chunks in a blender where it made tiny fine balls smaller than bb's, mixed it with the other two powders and measure it out dry.

The only consideration with this type of soap is that the fels naptha is not good for cloth diapers as it can build up and affect absorbency. It's fine for diaper covers, but the diapers themselves can be washed in a combo of borax and washing soda, and then you can just sun out any stains.

As an added bonus though, I think the fels naptha smells great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 am 

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up. :words: :clap:

http://www.pass-4sure.info/braindumps/C_TFIN52_66.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:40 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

That ten gallons I made in April 2012 finally ran out in November, and I made 10 more gallons out of "stock" from the first batch purchases. I gave 2 gallons of that first batch, so 8 gallons lasted 7 months for a family of four, and for 3 months we had an extra 2 adults and a toddler living here. Pretty impressive for about 4 bucks cost for that first 10...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:58 pm 

susandudik wrote:
The recipe with the borax, fels naptha, and washing soda is designed not to suds. You actually don't need to cook it and mix it with water. I sliced the fels naptha with a wire cheese cutter and put the chunks in a blender where it made tiny fine balls smaller than bb's, mixed it with the other two powders and measure it out dry.

The only consideration with this type of soap is that the fels naptha is not good for cloth diapers as it can build up and affect absorbency. It's fine for diaper covers, but the diapers themselves can be washed in a combo of borax and washing soda, and then you can just sun out any stains.

As an added bonus though, I think the fels naptha smells great!

This is almost exactly the recipe that my wife and I have been using for over a year now and it works great. We also have some OxyClean mixed into ours as well (I believe the 3lb. box), works brilliantly!

That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:30 pm 

I use vinegar. No mixing, no recipes, just pour and start the machine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Just as an aside, I have a power paint mixer (basically a fancy drill attachment) that I got for $5 at the hardware store. When you first make your detergent, hitting it for 5 minutes with a power stirrer while its still hot goes a long, long way towards keeping it from glooping up into jello later on down the road.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm 

I just want to say that your He washer will definitely get damaged if you don't use he detergent. I speak from experience. I just had my washer looked at and was given a quote of approximately $1k for repairs. The cause of damage? I used homemade detergent on my he washer! So let this be a warning for those of you who use homemade detergent with their he washers. FYI, my washer is a two year old Samsung. The technician says he's seen the same problem with washers that are 9 months old. I've used the homemade detergent for about half a year.