Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dog vs Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 am 

If the main point of having a family pet is that your pet should act according to training based on what you've planted in his head, I'm wondering at the moment whether supporting a cat is a good idea when you can train a dog under the same circumstances... but more reliably.

My cat is very good at killing and keeping rodents far from our door. His habit of returning a corpse to the back porch is something I would like to do without.... I have tried to stop him from leaving dead garbage on our porch but have not been successful. He thinks he's doing a good job, and I haven't yet found a reliable way yet to tell him he is being a dick... I'd rather see a half eaten rat than one that is whole and possibly partially conscious.

Thing is, I'm wondering a lot lately whether the cat is a waste of training. I have raised a decent amount of dogs before under my father's tutelage, and to introduce the idea that "we require full compliance" in a dog is fairly easy... for a cat it seems to me to be nearly impossible. Have any of you been able to train a cat to not be an asshole? How did you do it?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject: Re: Dog vs Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 am 

Ive always heard you cant train a cat.

I have also heard that they leave the dead mouse where you can see it, as like a loyalty thing. Like its their gift to you or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:26 am 

I did manage to train our cat to fetch. It didn't last and took a ridiculous amount of time to accomplish. She's still fat and bitchy. I don't think you cure that. The dog, dimwitted as he is, listens far better and makes a much better burglar (or squirrel, rabbit, stray cat etc) alarm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

my weiner dog is a stone cold killer and just eats them himself. Serves 3 great purposes, alarm, refuse disposal, vermin abatement. Oh, and foot warmer. He has free offspring available right now, check out "The Horde" below.

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Guard/general use, mid-sized animals-

Dog>monkey>chicken>mini-horse>pig>mongoose>goat>emu>ferret>hawk>trout>cat>rat>mouse.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:16 am 

maldon007 wrote:

Dog>monkey>chicken>mini-horse>pig>mongoose>goat>emu>ferret>hawk>trout>cat>rat>mouse.

Ever been up close to an Emu? They are fucking ferocious, at least above a pig.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
maldon007 wrote:

Ever been up close to an Emu? They are fucking ferocious, at least above a pig.

I have, but never in the open... The pair at our zoo are pretty tame, but if they decided to, I could see it getting ugly. Pig only beats them on the combo of usefulness, including taste (when cured/smoked :D )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:44 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

When a cat brings you its prey it is the ultimate compliment to you. it is saying thank you for feeding me and I consider you to be my family. Please accept this as part our food larder.

Rather than fuss at the cat for doing that, which will confuse him, praise him and tell him what a good job he did. This believe it or not is more likely to satisfy his need for praise and thus end or at least reduce these drop offs.

He is not being a "dick". Cats do not respond well to punishment at all. It stresses them out and makes negative behavior more pronounced. Try the praise method and cat nip.

Also good quality food is important. If you are feeding him only dry food or low quality food he may feel a need for variety and protein. Make sure he is eating well and the food is quality. Food does not have to be expensive to be good. A can of tuna in my area is $.60 while the premium cat food tuna is $1.35. Give him a can of tuna every now an then.

Try rewarding him to stop the negative behavior.

Link to Bank Rate.com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 pm 

Dog vs cats?

Two animals for two different roles, don't treat a cat like a dog.

Cats do what they do, keep vermin in check.

Dogs do what they do, alert/protection.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm 

raptor wrote:
When a cat brings you its prey it is the ultimate compliment to you. it is saying thank you for feeding me and I consider you to be my family. Please accept this as part our food larder.

Rather than fuss at the cat for doing that, which will confuse him, praise him and tell him what a good job he did. This believe it or not is more likely to satisfy his need for praise and thus end or at least reduce these drop offs.

He is not being a "dick". Cats do not respond well to punishment at all. It stresses them out and makes negative behavior more pronounced. Try the praise method and cat nip.

Also good quality food is important. If you are feeding him only dry food or low quality food he may feel a need for variety and protein. Make sure he is eating well and the food is quality. Food does not have to be expensive to be good. A can of tuna in my area is $.60 while the premium cat food tuna is $1.35. Give him a can of tuna every now an then.

Try rewarding him to stop the negative behavior.

thank you raptor for saving me the ten minutes it would have taken to type all of that out. I agree completely.

Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp <- my tumblr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:36 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.
I was under the impression that cats bring you dead or not quite dead critters because they think you're retarded and need to learn how to hunt, and that's how they teach kittens to do the same. :?

shrapnel wrote:
Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote:
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:
Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:44 pm 

Maybe in the cats eyes your too thin . Try putting on a little weight .

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 pm 

My cat comes when I call him and I can generally stop bad behavior with a finger-snap, so they are trainable. I give him high quality dry food and half a can of wet food about three times a week. Living on dry food only gives cats kidney problems when they get older. On the other hand, he is also an indoors-only cat and was taken from his mother too young, so he never learned to hunt properly.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:35 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

shrapnel wrote:
I was under the impression that cats bring you dead or not quite dead critters because they think you're retarded and need to learn how to hunt, and that's how they teach kittens to do the same. :?

Male cats as well as female cats will bring offerings. Male cats typically do not help raise kittens, which IMO shows it is not trying to train you but rather say thank you. Mothers may do that to train kittens. However most house cats do not know how to kill so they generally bring live things because they do not know to shake the prey to kill it.

Cats are trainable assuming it is something they enjoy.

ETA:
For instance you can train a cat to come on command (or least acknowledge your command) by making a game of it.

Link to Bank Rate.com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

Last edited by raptor on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:54 pm 

Quote:

Ok, I have had enough of that. No sane person who has ever lived with a cat would think that a cat is doing this as a thank you. More like he is trying to restore your reverent awe in his abilities as a hunter/ killer. If you don't show him the proper respect and provide him with offerings and treat him like a demi-god he will have to increase his displays of power and show his annoyance with you in other ways too. Like peeing on your pillow to show you your place in his/ her hierarchy. Trainable? You might be trainable....

Our dog is a good hunter/ killer too. He has taken ground hogs before and could likely land something much larger if he could get a hold of it. The difference is that he is doesn't play psychological games with his prey. He kills it, eats it and rolls around in the remains. Just like people.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 pm 

Blacksmith wrote:
Ok, I have had enough of that. No sane person who has ever lived with a cat would think that a cat is doing this as a thank you. More like he is trying to restore your reverent awe in his abilities as a hunter/ killer. If you don't show him the proper respect and provide him with offerings and treat him like a demi-god he will have to increase his displays of power and show his annoyance with you in other ways too. Like peeing on your pillow to show you your place in his/ her hierarchy. Trainable? You might be trainable....

If you're being serious you obviously don't understand cats. I currently have two dogs and two cats, and not one of them would ever piss on my pillow. Like said above, if you feed a cat right and make sure they know you're in charge they are great pets. When one of mine does something wrong all I have to do is snap my fingers and they know to stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Blacksmith wrote:
Like peeing on your pillow to show you your place in his/ her hierarchy.

Hmmm...sounds like cats and you do not get along. Peeing on a pillow is an unambiguous message whether dog, cat or human.

I have never had that happen to me, dog, cat or human.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:08 am 

I R Zombie Cat. I want's to eat ur brains....

But really my cat has never peed on anything. He is an indoor only cat so the only thing he hunts is the occasional moth or fly. He is my all powerful cat overlord, in fact i think I hear him calling me to come clean his box so that he has nice new sand to poop in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 am 

The big advantage of a dog is that you can bury it in the mud for a month, dig it up and it will still serve as the ultimate killing machine. Trying getting your kitty even a little bit wet and you will find it freezes up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:18 am 

Meh, too different to be compared. I prefer dogs in the house and cats around it. Thats how it always was in the farms run by my family. Dogs protecting the homestead and cats wreaking havoc on the vermin population in the barns

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:42 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

sql_yoda wrote:
Have any of you been able to train a cat to not be an asshole? How did you do it?

Getting back on topic.

Yes I have trained cats (& dogs, kids employees..) and have found in general that the reward method of training works best (for all). Punishment does not work well with cats at all. Try praising him when he brings you an offering.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:08 pm 

Blacksmith wrote:
The big advantage of a dog is that you can bury it in the mud for a month, dig it up and it will still serve as the ultimate killing machine. Trying getting your kitty even a little bit wet and you will find it freezes up.

I see what you did there- :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm 

You know what this thread needs? Pictures.

Here are some pics of my dog hanging out in the den:

And eating icicles (try that with a cat):

Here is a cat (not mine, as noted we don't get along with cats):

Which looks more retarded to you? I mean seriously how do you expect to train that? The dog weighs about 185 pounds and will stop just about anyone in their tracks coming up the driveway. How long did it take us to train the dog to do that? About four months.

Know what a cat will do? Run away. That is best case. Know what a well trained cat will do? Call 911? Nope, also run away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:31 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

If people want to bitch about cats, or get into a pissing contest about whether cats or dogs are "better" that's fine, but it's not very relevant to the forum. Thank you Raptor for attempting to get the post back on topic (assuming the question was not a rhetorical one)--but I'm thinking this is probably destined for OT if things continue in this vein.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next