hi, from the midwest

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

reyes
BANNED

hi, from the midwest

Post by reyes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:58 pm

found you on google. I'm in my 60's, life time shooter, bullet caster, bodybuilder, gunsmith, instructor for rifle, pistol and hand to hand, reloader, hunter, survivalist, etc.

woodsghost

Re: hi, from the midwest

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Welcome to the forum! What brings you here? We certainly are into guns, survival, and general preparedness. Zombies are just one thing we prepare for. Tornadoes, floods, job loss, a lot of things can ruin one's day. And most of us have found those to be more likely than zombies.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 pm

New here myself, but sounds like we have more in common than we don't. You got a few years on me however and my bodybuilding days have turned to just being happy with maintaining my physical conditioning. That's may way of saying I quit the gym and bought a Bowflex.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Hello,

I read a post in another thread and realized we did not share any of the rules with you. Not that I, personally, feel you broke one, but it is easy to head in that direction. You said:
my local Walmarts still hide the .22lr ammo under the counter. If you ask, it's there, but they clearly dont want you buying it by the 5000 rd case. 6c per round is a lot more reasonable than 16c a round, that much is certain. I'll keep voting for Republicans for that reason alone, even tho I've stockpiled 50,000 rds of it. I only use about 5k rds per year myself, but I'm now training the new wife, so that will eat up 10,000 rds more .22lr this year and another 5000 rds per year after that, after I switch her over to 223 and cast bullet 9mm reloads.
There is nothing wrong with voting for who you believe in. In my own words, the rules are "no beating others over the head with politics or religion, and no illegal stuff." We don't get too hurt about what you do on your own time, but we don't want trouble with law enforcement if someone does something illegal, and there are some good reasons for staying on the happy side of the law if things go sideways. The law has a way of catching up to some of the bag guys in Argentina, Chile, Germany, the Balkans, and Katrina. We don't want our membership to get in trouble whenever the emergency ends.

On to politics... I"m not an official moderator. Or unofficial, either. I"m just a member sharing some of our forum cultural values. I wrote this for another new member here:
While the rules say "no politics," our *current* forum culture is pretty mature so the rule gets relaxed a little. Basically, if you are pretty mild and not calling out "bad guys" and "good guys" then you are probably ok. And we often talk about the "what" and leave out most of the "who, why, etc."

A clearer example: we can talk about the pumps in New Orleans not being maintained, and what that might mean for prepping. We can talk about corruption being the main culprit for those water pumps not being maintained. But which political party, or which individuals, specifically, are responsible, is not going to be discussed. We have Facebook for that.

We can say "I am bummed because of recent political events." But naming a particular individual, or saying a political group has been acting violently, would not be good. And I probably push the boundaries more than my fair share. So I get corrected and I swiftly make changes and try not to repeat the mistakes again. It is not a personal attack. Sometimes the mods agree with my position. Sometimes not. But the key is to have a playground where we can be adults, talk about adult subjects, but keep that big umbrella.

I only write this because sometimes we have questions as to why there is a "no politics" rule, but we clearly discuss politics. In short: be mild, be respectful, and adjust a sentence when asked.
We often don't talk about who we vote for, but it is not real hard to figure it out. Usually. When I talk about my voting, I might say "I"ll keep voting for those who protect my gun rights" or "I'll keep voting for those who keep the .22 panic down." Nothing wrong with that. It is pretty easy to figure out what you mean. But it is less direct. It helps us all rub shoulders together even when very difficult political issues are making our world nuts.

One thing I have noticed is we are all pretty pro 2A around here. We don't talk about the good guys and the bad guys, but we do express our frustrations with different legal decisions. And the reality is, there are good guys and bad guys on both sides of the political divide. That is true both for the politicians, and for the people here. We find a lot of people who are politically Left or politically Right, and as we talk we find a lot of common ground and good morals. I have enjoyed getting to know people here I would not normally rub shoulders with in real life just because we tend to live different lives. But there are large areas of common values I have with many here who are on the other side of my political aisle.

Just some food for thought. I hope you take it as me sharing my experiences, not as any sort of rebuke or anything.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

See4

Post by See4 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am

Welcome to the forum WG. I too am new. I love firearms and ordnance. Most people around here have been practicing being prepared for generations. So I love it, I am semi prepped. I am well armed, have some food put back, have a bug in plan etc. Anyway, has anyone noticed there is a trend of beginning to humanizing the brain eating folk? I hope the Hollywood PC machine will not make even a fantasy creature something to be ...we you know what I mean? Well, time to try to find someone to reload some .44 special stuff for home defense. Factory loads are fine for target shooting but too slow in my bulldog.Do you have any suggestions? PM me if you want. It will augment the mossy 12ga. I have a .223 BM black rifle for anything over 25' away. I am trading the Bushmaster for a slower but better Henry 45/70. Zombies and bad guys lookout. Peace to all via close quarters combat, eh WG. From one Vet to another. (I am guessing WG)...

See4

Post by See4 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 pm

I just noticed how old this thread was....duhhh...

Return to “Introductions”